More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Bye Bye Norton AV!
    Well, after seeing my Father-in-law's computer destroyed by a trojan that Norton AV did not catch, I was almost ready to dump my NAV.

But the last straw came after downloading their "much improved" 2009 version. All of a sudden, I got low memory warnings with only one or two browser windows open. And got C++ runtime errors!

So I just removed Norton, and installed eset nod32. Since my other computer, a laptop, now needs a new Antivirus program, I will get the two pack.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Good Choice.

I run eset and have never had a computer attack since I installed it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    But the last straw came after downloading their "much improved" 2009 version.
    I think a lot of this is a crap shoot. You had bad luck and we had good luck. Our try was with Norton Internet Security 2009 and it's working great on a laptop and a PC. I was the biggest Norton hater up until a couple of weeks ago when we tried it again.

It could be a difference in NIS 2009 and NAV 2009 though. I used to do fine with NAV and hate NIS. You always have to go with what actually works for you and not what they say will work.

Question on Norton Internet Security 2009, does it still block affiliate Banners?? I was using a modified version on Norton (ISP Version) this week-end and alot of affiliate banners were not displayed.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What idiot excuse is there for NOT BUYING Microsoft's brilliant OneCare package. $40 for protecting 3 system from any and all threat sources seems like a good deal to me and my clients.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

What idiot excuse is there for NOT BUYING Microsoft's brilliant OneCare package.
    Is it just me, but that seems like the mob's old protection racket. Microsoft selling protection for their own weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    What idiot excuse is there for NOT BUYING Microsoft's brilliant OneCare package. $40 for protecting 3 system from any and all threat sources seems like a good deal to me and my clients.
    What software are they using for Scanning etc..... Norton, Mcafee or other??

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Is it just me, but that seems like the mob's old protection racket. Microsoft selling protection for their own weakness.
    No need to be snide John. Use your noggin. Who has more incentive to put out a system security package that really works then the enity that spends $$$14 billion per year fighting windows system hijackers????
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I have tried nod32 and its great I like that AV I using it until now.

All 3 on EsetNOD32 No more Norton, never. At one time they were the best but that was many years ago. The system hogging Norton has survived by implanting their setup by default on new systems.

NIS 2009 is the best AV available.

BTW NAV believe it or not catches 98% of all known viruses and it has the highest catch rate than any other AV available. Average catch rate is 96% and lower.

AV software is like Condoms they aren't 100% safe, just because you have one on you have to know who your sticking it in.

[QUOTE=HardwareGeek]NIS 2009 is the best AV available.
    ...............QUOTE]

Is it still blocking affiliate banners??

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Very perceptive! I hadn't thought of it that way, but I agree with the analogy.

I actually switched from BitDefender Internet Security 2009 to Norton Internet Security 2009. I had used BitDefender in the past, so I decided to try it. Suddenly, my system was running slower, and on my wife's somewhat less "beefy" laptop, everything slowed WAY down for her.

And one of the reasons I went back to BitDefender was all the good press about lesser system resources and faster operating.

Then, based on a thread here a week or so ago about how Norton Internet 2009 really WAS improved -- I searched for tech mag reviews. They, too, all said Norton had truly improved for 2009.

BitDefender refunded my money and I bought Norton.

I've immediately noticed improvements in the way everything really does run faster -- and Norton 2009 isn't taking much in resources at all as far as I can tell.

Sorry, Cheesehead, about your bad experiences with Norton. But I think John's probably right that it's just sort of a "crap shoot" as far as one system or another. Doesn't seem like it should work well for some and not for others, but, what can you do?
    Generate more fake news.

For the important numbers:
    http://www.eset.com/products/compare...ompetition.php
    I am happy to hear that Norton has improved. When you get to be so bad that people don't want to use your product when it's free, it should be fairly easy to see that some improvements are needed. Their intrusive setup (blocking affiliate banners and cookies for example) and resource hogging (waiting several minutes to turn your system on or off) got to the point it was almost preferable to have a virus. I am very happy with Eset and cannot imagine wanting to try Norton again.

Is it still blocking affiliate banners??
    I think not. I had Norton AV 2006 and it would periodically block affiliate link clicks to cj merchants. Since installing Norton AV 2009, I have not had any link clicks blocked.

So far so good. Eset is much quicker in doing its tasks. NAV 2008 was slow. NAV 2009 made my computer inoperable. But, my computer is getting up there in years - It will be 6 years old in Feb! So the age and the older versions of operating systems probably played a part. In all that time, I had one virus that raised a little havoc, but NAV was able to find and get rid of it. Also, had some Adware that I had to use a Microsoft product to find and eliminate since Norton was not able to detect or get rid of. I believe that NAV now has adware detection and removal as standard features - for a while it was an extra or more comprehensive product.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

UPDATE: eset was doing a great job for a while. Just got a virus however (as I discuss on the Google forum) that redirects all searches to findstuff.com pages.

In addition, I was unable to get my 2nd computer to accept the Product Key. After repeated trouble tickets (eset has NO phone support for home users), the Product Key did not work. Instead, the 30 day trial ran out on my second computer and my kids managed to find the right sites to get me hooked up with a little over 200 malware/adware infections! This was on my 2nd computer! So the infections did not happen on eset's antivirus but as a result of the product trial running out (that I could not activate).

So two computers down in 8 days! One due to a BHO that got through their product.

My advice: Assume your computer could go down at any time, regardless of your protection. I ran NAV for 5+ years without a problem but my father-in-law got a really bad virus while running NAV. ANY product can fail.

Put your software downloads and Product KEYS on disc. If you lose your computer two years down the road, you may not be able to find a copy of your older software to download and thus will have to pay for the newer version (this happened with one of my software). Use web-based email. I started using Yahoo Premium and have set up all kinds of disposable emails that all send email back to my main address. I don't give my main address to ANYONE. Tired of the SPAM.

I also use my websites as backups for my work. Have a site just for your desk work and upload items. OR, pay for an online backup service. Or backup on external hard drive (which I am not too good at doing).

Yeah, wait until you get the go google.com BHO ... BTW: Norton sucks, EST sucks,
    Panda REALLY sucks ... AdAware is decent, Search & Destroy catches most of the annoying stuff. StopZilla actually does a decent job. AOL spyware protection seems to be working pretty well ... none of them caught the go google ***** though.

There seems to be a little hole in all of them ...

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Yeah, wait until you get the go google.com BHO ...
    go google BHO is what I got. It prevents you from even thinking about trying to download or install something to remove it! Can't even use my CD drive.

On a filtered network of 40 XP systems, I run the following, without any issues:

Norton AV - Windows Defender - SuperAntiSpyware

For most of my friends, instead of NAV, I also recommend AVG Free.

We have seen an increase in the problems with our Macs. I now prevent the Mac guys from downloading codecs, and other stuff. Most of the people using the Macs are too trusting of downloads, not having lived with the burden of Windows hacks.
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    UPDATE: eset was doing a great job for a while. Just got a virus however (as I discuss on the Google forum) that redirects all searches to findstuff.com pages.
    ==================================================
    My advice: Assume your computer could go down at any time, regardless of your protection. I ran NAV for 5+ years without a problem but my father-in-law got a really bad virus while running NAV. ANY product can fail.
    Very good advice. Now here is something I would like someone to explain to me. I too have something that redirects all searches to findstuff.com and a few other similar sites. The thing is I downloaded the Flock browser and that browser is not affected nor infected. In addition if I am on firefox but use the scroogle scraper I am also safe...ugly as sin mind you but it seems to overcome the problem. Any guesses as to what is really going on???
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

I haven't had a virus for about 4 years. I use Mcafee antivirsus and firewall along with AdAware. Norton it truly horrible, everytime I use a family members computer with it I uninstall it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy
    I haven't had a virus for about 4 years. I use Mcafee antivirsus and firewall along with AdAware. Norton it truly horrible, everytime I use a family members computer with it I uninstall it for them.
    I have to agree Mcafee works great. I also run AdAware from time to time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriFalcone
    Very good advice. Now here is something I would like someone to explain to me. I too have something that redirects all searches to findstuff.com and a few other similar sites. The thing is I downloaded the Flock browser and that browser is not affected nor infected. In addition if I am on firefox but use the scroogle scraper I am also safe...ugly as sin mind you but it seems to overcome the problem. Any guesses as to what is really going on???
    This BHO is probably not programmed to infiltrate this Flock ? browser. Also, you can do searches with some secondary search engines like dogpile and they are not affected.

I read recently that this BHO installs itself via a fake Adobe Flash Update download. This might have been how I got it - I don't recall. So if you ever get a prompt to update software, don't do it. Instead, go to the site yourself and check for updates.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread