Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    WASHINGTON—A call from the U.S. Defence Department for volunteers to sit on local draft boards has sparked debate here about whether a nationwide military draft could ultimately be needed to complete Washington's Iraq mission.

A number of analysts said yesterday that while any public suggestion of a draft would be politically suicidal for U.S. President George W. Bush in an election year, he could find himself with few other options if he is returned for a second term and the fighting in Iraq is still raging........

The draft was abolished here three decades ago as the Vietnam War wound down, and the defence department notice about draft boards is on an obscure link on its Web site.

But as debate swirls about the capabilities of the beleaguered U.S. military, the Pentagon is calling for volunteers to "Serve Your Community and the Nation." It says the Selective Service System "wants to hear from men and women in the community who might be willing to serve as members of a local draft board.

"Will U.S. bring back the draft?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, never.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Scarry thught, isn't it? I don't know if Canada wants any more of our young men.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I hope not.

As a veteran who has served with some of our nato "allies", and seen first hand the state of their militaries when infused with conscripts (germany, the netherlands, and more), I've seen the degraded quality conscription brings with it to any military organization.

Erik

I hope this isn't the case, but it wouldn't surprise me. Bush has such a mess on his hands now, he's likely looking at all options to help dig his way out. If it comes at the expense of others, so be it. It won't hurt him one way or the other. As a former President, he will live quite well off the public for the rest of his life.

Andy

Of course he won't do anything until after the election. But who knows the next Pres., who ever may have no choice now that we are in this mess.

But, I am really concerned that they are even asking for volunteers for a draft board not matter how discreetly.

Sure would be a quick fix for unemployment, wouldn't it?

ABW Ambassador
    That is stupid. Never happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    Bush has such a mess on his hands now<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quagmire?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Wish I could volunteer to go over, but I'm too old. They ever get to the point they need me, we're hurtin', lol.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    Wish I could volunteer to go over, but I'm too old. They ever get to the point they need me, we're hurtin', lol.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'd be pleased to go over too, this is the beginning of the future of the world, but like you am past the point where they'd ask

ABW Ambassador
    What is the maximum age for being drafted if they do reinstate it?

Btw, I did see a news report that recruiting is up because unemployment is so high and the benefits the government provides; housing, insurance, etc., is making it more attractive to people who need to find jobs. I think I remember hearing in that story that their recruting glevels have way exceeded their guotas ..therefore, I can't imagine them resintating the draft.

I would be surprised and disappointed. Wouldn't be the first time, though.

I'm not gonna get drafted, I can be sure of that.

If they reinstate the draft, this is the first time in history when they must make the US women stand along side the men in war.

I wonder how people will feel about this war when their daughters come home in body bags.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - - -
    recruiting is up because unemployment is so high and the benefits the government provides; housing, insurance, etc., is making it more attractive to people who need to find jobs.
    - - - - - -

.....REM, I'm willing to bet they don't mention the 'getting shot at' part til you get to the fine print, lol.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> elbowcreek wrote: .....REM, I'm willing to bet they don't mention the 'getting shot at' part til you get to the fine print, lol.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Reminds me of the movie Private Benjamin where Goldie Hawn is told by the recruiter all about the new condo she'll get after enlisting!

Andy

all the more reason to elect leaders who use war as a LAST resort.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    If they reinstate the draft, this is the first time in history when they must make the US women stand along side the men in war.

I wonder how people will feel about this war when their daughters come home in body bags.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSanf,
    Curious as to why you insist on speaking about a topic you clearly have no understanding. Women have and are a lot closer to the line than you think. Women do come home in body bags just as our young men.

I have read your diatribes concerning the military and its issue, YOU SOUND LIKE A PERSON THAT HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE MILIARTARY.

I really am starting to take offense by your lack of knowledge in this area and how you insist on making statements that are inaccurate other giving links to what SOMEONE ELSE has written.

What I am saying is you are offending me; please stop with the inaccurate diatribes.

SandraR,
    I find you post quite amusing. My father graduated Westpoint. I am an army brat and I graduated Fort Knox High School. I received my B.S. at Syracuse University.

And, you are better informed about the military because....

The links I give are from very reputable sources like the Toronto Star and the UPI.

And, you are better informed than the Toronto Star and the UPI because.....

Everyone knows that there are currently women in the military. I believe I even recall one died. The impact of this and the impact of a potential draft of women who do not volunteer but are subjected to war will be quite different if it happens.

[This message was edited by SSanf on November 06, 2003 at 03:26 PM.]

My family has a long line of military experience, to include my mother in laws recent retiring as LT Col.

I recently retired from 7-100st Aviation Airborne Air Assualt Division, not sure if you know my qualification to enter that field but I think you do. (just in case (CH-47D Chinooks)

I WAS IN THE MILITARY as well as being a military brat myself. My Degree is EE and an MBA. I think I have a good understanding of the military.

You have family members involved but you have no idea, nor a CLUE!

I am not amused by your postings!

I too have been around military for almost 20yrs and for what I've seen women do the same as men do in Military.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I doubt whether we'll ever see a US draft board put in place again. Raising the pay and the education perks will get the volunteer recruiting going. Putting stupid lazy bureaucrats in charge of manauging draft lists is what got me into Vietnam in the first place. Hell I was married with 1 child,full time College Student, Coast Guard ROTC and the butt holes still called me up. Took hundreds of letter to Selective Service and anyone else to who'd listen to finally pull me out of a PBR squadran there. Opps ... we made a draft board mistake ....came 18 months and 22 days and 3 bullet wounds later.

Now I'd love to volunteer for some helicopter or C-130 Gunship duty over in Affganistan or Iraq, but don't relish being a sitting target in a boat or Humvee.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Very darned well. Tell me where the clue is. Do you doubt the veracity of the article?

Do you doubt that women being drafted and then sent home in body bags will have a different effect than women who have volunteered for this risk?

Exactly what is it you believe I am missing here?

Or do you simply want acknowledgement that our soldiers are doing a tough dirty job? I acknowledge that they are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I too have been around military for almost 20yrs and for what I've seen women do the same as men do in Military.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that is certainly true, though women don't do it on the same scale.

But, that isn't the issue I brought up, is it?

The point I am asking about is what the recations of the general public will be if women who have been forced into miliatry service start to come home in body bags.

I think it won't be very well received at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:

I wonder how people will feel about this war when their daughters come home in body bags. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ssanf,

What upset me about this post is you are belittling woman.

WE ARE ALREADY COMING HOME IN BODY BAGS.

To state the public will not tolerate woman coming home in body bags tends to dishonor those already loosing their lives for the country they wish to protect.

You are in essence not honoring the bravery or intelligence of the female soldiers.

Why exactly would a mother/father cry more over loosing a daughter than loosing a son?

Why exactly is it OK to kill off all our sons and not our daughters?

Why exactly are woman such as you intent on placing a higher value on woman than men?

In the Middle East the WOMAN train the men, and they fight along side their men. Will you continue to ensure woman stay protected and not have value because you wish to spread stupid senseless male thoughts?

Please think about the rhetoric you are spreading.

[QUOTE]if women who have been forced into miliatry service start to come home in body bags<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If it ever gets to the point that we need the draft, it will be because many more than the 3000 already dead in NYC will have died at the locations where other buildings once stood in the US. The surviving daughters and wives (as well as husbands and sons) won't need to be drafted, they'll have long since signed up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast