Hi guys, I know we have ALOT of eBay'ers here... I am about to launch a niche auction site. The idea behind it is to bring more money into my niche community.

Rather then have a small listing fee, and a success fee, I am going to have a flat listing fee, and no success fees.

I plan on starting out with a $2 listing fee, for all items, regardless of price. In the future, once the site takes off, the listing fee will go up, for higher ticket items. Does that sound fair?

I am worried nobody will want to "risk" the $2 listing fee with a new site. ($1 more for bold or highlight, $10 more for premier (front page) listings.)

As for the affiliates, I'll be paying 50% of listing fees ($1 min - $7 max) + $.05 per bid & a 30 day cookie.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm a bit confused. Are you going to have a flat listing fee(subscription fee?) or are you going to charge $2 per auction listing? If you are charging per listing, I don't think you will find many people willing to take a chance on listing their item. If it is a subscription, that allows you to list so many items, for a certain price, than you might get some takers. Otherwise, for start-ups, I recommend, no listing fees with a final value fee only.

My main competiton does flat listing classifieds for $2 each, sale or no-sale.

In order to get inital traffic, before the affiliate program kicks in, i will:

1) Give free listings for a month
    2) Give $5 in credit to my 6000+ forum members for future use
    3) Each registered user will enter a contest to win a $1000 shopping spree at the auctions

I think it will work, but i cant sleep at night, just need some positive feedback from anyone other then family!

Joe,
    Can I ask which auction site you run?

Goal: to earn one dollar without working for it.

I have not yet launched (waiting for customization of the groundbreak affilaite software)... URL is:

http://www.bicyclebid.com/auction/

Feel free to poke around, any feedback is welcome.

Yes, $2 flat listing fee is high with a auction site when there are no buyer traffic, yet. With these kind of sites you should attract buyers first to attract sellers. So you should accomodate sellers first, so there will be enough product selection to build your buyer traffic.

Once you started the cycle of of buyer-seller traffic, you can change your fee system. But, the best was would be to get a percentage of any sale. Because $2 fee would be very high for auction ended on $5 final.

I'd start with free listings until the items sell, then get the buyers. This type of sites takes time to take off.

Your site seems nice and clean, by the way.

Thanks for the feedback guys, The original plan was to have a pay for performance auction site, no basic listing fees. However, with that route, I am not sure how to best pay affiliates. I cant afford $5 per new member.

I may go back to my original plan, no listing fees other then ad-on's (bold / highlight / featured), then pay affiliates $.25 per auction % 50% of ad-on fees). I may beable to pay $.07 - $.08 per bid to affiliates as well. Finale value fees will be a min of $1, and overall about half the cost of eBay.

How does that sound? I really want to make the best affiliate program avalible for webmasters of cycling sites...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Model the fees and features after ep.com

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Hi,
    I do alot of selling on Ebay and 2.00 would scare me off,might want to rethink that price.
    good luck

Thanks, I think i'll go back to my original plan, no listing fees, pay for performance only. I just wont beable to provide the affiliates with a final value fee or listing fee commission as planed (other then a split of the bonus listings).

Would $.10 per bid interest you with a 50% commission on listing fees?

Just do the auction free until it takes off. Its the cost of start your business and if something goes wrong on the site while you are working the kinks out people won't be as mad as if the were paying.

LinkAdage Auctions The Place to Buy and Sell Text Links Via Online Auction

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread