ABW Ambassador
    Little Behind On The Deactivation Emails
    Not sure if you have some sort of bug or it's just not being run right but today:

Sears Home Center has terminated as of July 25, 2008. Please remove any creative or links you are hosting on your Web site for the TERM - Sears Home Center affiliate program at your earliest convenience.

And then last week or the week before got one for La Redoute and they deactivated months ago.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

Those emails are system generated emails once the account has been deactivated from the system. Once the cookie duration expires, we deactivate the account.

Thank you,

Jamie

ABW Ambassador
    I already had them removed anyway but it would be better to get that email on the termination date - July 25, 2008, not when their cookie expires.

"Sears Home Center has terminated as of July 25, 2008."

Send the email then.

As always, thank you for your feedback!

I got the same e-mail today too.

Wish I had known about it back in July so I could have removed them then instead of sending them free traffic since July....

Although - I am glad to see someone from Google here to talk to us and answer questions for us.

How do we get merchant datafeeds from you??

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Google Affiliate Network Moderator
    As always, thank you for your feedback!
    Does that mean "Wow, that's a great idea that we'll look into implementing as soon as possible because we realize that it really makes no sense for you to generate clicks beyond the expiration date of the merchant and that you're really just wasting valuable web real estate that could be better utilized on a merchant that has some possibility of actually generating a commission that both of us will benefit from". Because that is about as much as a non response as I've ever seen.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Actually I did get emails mentioning the closing of the programs a week or so before they closed. I think La Redoute actually sent several. I had them all down a while ago because of those emails. Not sure why some would have gotten them and not others.

It was a sincere thanks to Trust and all for the continued feedback regarding this process.

Notifications are sent in advance of terminations and then again once the cookie expires. We always advise to remove links when the initial notification is sent and archive links so they can no longer be generated. You are still commissioned for sales valid during the cookie duration. Indications in the interface for termed and deactivated advertisers are in place. There is always room for improvement and we recognize and realize that.

As for data feeds, we just released a new process for you to sign-up for them. Once logged in, click the Get Links tab, then click Product Feeds.

Have a good night.

Jamie
    jamier[at]google.com

Jamie, not doubting your sincerity. Your first response didn't really explain the process. Thanks for the more complete overview.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I heard about the new process and got so excited I almost.. nevermind.
    I logged in and I see that now the only way to get a datafeed is to sign up for daily ftp. Instead of making access easier they are locking out anyone who uses a datafeed manually such as via WebMerge. I could sign up for daily ftp but there is a new one every day whether it has changed or not so you would need to download it, edit it to see if it had changed and then if not, do it again every day. Each one, one at a time. Only an automated setup can use GAN datafeeds.
    I understand that probably the majority of folks who use datafeeds use them in automated setups, but if those are the only affiliates GAN wants they should say so up front instead of enticing us in with good datafeed merchants and then only let us use banners. It's hard to get any page rank off a banner. It's hard to add any content to a banner. That leaves cron job ftp datafeed/mysql sites and PPC. Nothing in between.
    </rant>

rematt- Sorry for the lack of clarity. The process has been discussed on a few threads. I was providing an answer to a specific question.

2busy- The way data is sent has not changed besides FTP only, just the process to receive one. I will pass along your feedback.

Good night all!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I could sign up for daily ftp but there is a new one every day whether it has changed or not so you would need to download it, edit it to see if it had changed and then if not, do it again every day.
    I may be wrong but I have a hunch that there is an easy solution to your problem.

Maybe you could start a thread in the Datafeed forum and someone could figure it out there. I use automated setups and would like to ponder it when I'm not half dead like now.

Thank you Jamie, I know it is a long slow process to make any changes at all, and I appreciate the many times you have given assistance.
    Ideally you would be able to log in, click the Get Links tab, then click Product Feeds and then see the last change date and if it's new, then just download it and go to work. Some feeds change daily, some are once or twice a year and the extra work just to find out cuts into too many other opportunities.

Thank you John, I will try to see what can be done. I'm having too much trouble getting or even seeing things in GAN compared to others. It feels like I'm working with a piņata.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread