OK these aren't mirror sites but of necessity some pages must have similar products and product descriptions.

I have changed the page titles descriptions and headings, the alt tags and the site navigation is different. Also, the page URL name is different.

However, with the exception of the background , to the human eye, the pages look almost the same. Are these pages at risk of a google "mirroring" penalty?

How do you handle it when you want to put something like Cliff's swords on several different sites?

Note: The heading got messed up when I posted this before and it reads like nonsense so I think no one will understand what the thread is about. If someone wants to delete the other thread, please do.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

SSanf,

I've often wondered the same thing. Especially with pages that rely heavily on JavaScript to make the page work. For instance, eBay's Editor Kit can produce HTML that is very similar for each page, yet when viewed they look completely different.

So far, Google is OK with this on my site that does this. The page titles, keywords, etc., are all different, and there is also some unique text on each page, although not a lot of text. For the most part the pages are just templates, and look similar.

I was told if your pages will pass a human inspection, you're likely to be OK with the SEs, as they don't see the images, they just read the HTML. From your description, it sounds like the HTML is very different between the sites, so I'd guess Google will be OK with that.

Andy

ssanf

couple of suggestions-

1 - never link your similar sites to each other

2 - include some other stuff on the page, not just the (duplicate) product info. like some text about how great the store you're talking about is, or some background info about something or other... so that the body text on the page on site a + site b is only x% duplicate, not 100%

I have also been concerned about this, especially with merchant that offer all their affiliates a full page creative. I always alter the text and add some kind of descriptive text in addition to the merchant's creative. So far all pages have been indexed. Merchant's should encourage affiliates to vary the pages.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    OK these aren't mirror sites but of necessity some pages must have similar products and product descriptions.

I have changed the page titles descriptions and headings, the alt tags and the site navigation is different. Also, the page URL name is different.

However, with the exception of the background , to the human eye, the pages look almost the same. Are these pages at risk of a google "mirroring" penalty?

How do you handle it when you want to put something like Cliff's swords on several different sites?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know much about S.E.'s , but I can tell you that the Toledo Swords site started out as almost identical to my real cool savings Toledo sword site. Even have the SAME main domain.

http://www.loveleaf.net/ts

http://www.loveleaf.net/sword

It didn't hurt my rankings at all. In fact , the
    http://www.loveleaf.net/sword
    outranked the original on many keywords after the first google dance.

And either one and or both still rank high. But I am starting to loose ground at the s.e.'s ( those darn affiliates are on my heels , some are even showing me their heels )

Get those number 1 rankings already , my Real Cool Savings site still outsells every affiliate by multiples , and I don't do a thing , except minor listings at Findwhat and 7Search.

All the Best,

Cliff

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

ABW Ambassador
    I am not quiet shure, but I think I read on Google that sites with more than 80%content of another site are rejected.

carneol

carneol,

Do you know if that is visable content or html content?

Would that apply to the site as a whole or just to relevant pages?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread