Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Well, here is another service that has gone from decent to crap. Used to be that only legitimate merchants were part of Yahoo Shopping. Since their change to a new look and search feature, they have allowed affiliate sites in. I used to like checking out yahoo shopping when doing a little comparison shopping but now its like searching google. I have to filter out all the affiliate sites to find an actual retailer.

I am curious, how are some of these "search results" sites getting such good rankings at google and yahoo shopping? You know the site that has a small logo, some header text and search results for the rest of the page. Holy spam Batman! I have seen alot of this lately.

can you give an example search?

go to google, search for "mission hockey skate" and see the 5th site from the top, I see alot of site like that one, then look at the bottom 2 sites, they are similar.

I thought you were talking about Yahoo Shopping here.

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

Try "hot wheels monster truck" at yahoo shopping, the last 5 sites on the first page of results are all amazon affiliate sites, many on the second page too!

That fact that affiliate sites are appearing in these results would normally be cause for rejoicing around here. We are affiliates right?

Imagine how joe surfer feels! How long before google do something about affiliate sites in its serps?

We are affiliates and I wish my opinion was more positive on this matter but some of are fellow affilaites ar just spamming everything they can get their greedy little hands on.

It used to be nice to use Yahoo Shopping to search for products without sifting through all the affiliate sites like at Google, MSN, you name it. Plus alot of smaller business were getting some good exposure, now you see only the big shops and all their affiliates.

The "search results" page sites, totally useless, using keywords that the merchants they link to do not even sell the product you are looking for (You see my other post about spamming affiliates to read my opinion on that matter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It used to be nice to use Yahoo Shopping to search for products without sifting through all the affiliate sites like at Google, MSN, you name it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AbestWeb is about affiliate marketing. If you don't like affiliates and avoid them when shopping maybe you are at the wrong place. Our goal here is to make money through affiliate programs. People that avoid our sites in the search engines are not helping.

I realize there are plenty of crappy affiliates and that you probably are referring to spam sites but you made blanket statements about avoiding affiliate sites.

I agree with Heyder.

SPAM = Sites Positioned Above Mine

I can see DFLsports point. When I am shopping and looking for a particular product, I do have to look hard to skip the maze of mostly amazon affiliate sites. I'm usually looking for a variety of true merchants, and end up with too many affiliate sites in the results.

If its becoming a problem for me when I shop, I wonder how long it will be until Google clamps down on it.

I have nothing against the datafeed sites (I have one myself), but again, I wonder how much longer these types of sites that are nothing more than a copy of the datafeed will last. It seems that adding some unique content to assist with a good purchase, in addition to the datafeed, seems like a good idea.

It's not that I avoid affiliate sites, quite the contrary. I sometimes make a point of setting the cookie for sites where I initially researched the product I am purchasing.

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

Yes, if I were google, I would block out all pages/sites with X percentage of affiliate links. It makes perfect sense and would be easy to do. This is not far off I suspect and I suggest everybody take steps to avoid looking like an affiliate site in the eyes of search engine robots.

If you use a jump-to redirect script, will the search engines still recognize affiliate link? I am just trying to find some way that would not make my sites stand out when this day arrives (as described by Heyder).

Bsnrjones

Goal: $10,000/month by 12/04

I think a jump-to redirect is a good start. It is probably satisfactory for the first round of affiliate site destruction that Google will undertake.

P.S. Change your goal to something higher.

Heyder,

Just like Green Acres, Abestweb is the place for me

I agree, our goal is to make money, this is my full time income and I do OK. Not sure if my first post was a blanket post? I am referring to the spam type affiliate sites.

So when you shop online do you buy from other affiliate sites? I might if I do not promote the merchant being promoted but would use my own links as long as I know the merchant is OK with that. My statements are my point of view and not "joe consumer" I love search engine traffic but the spammers are killing the honest affiliates.

BTW, DFLsports, you have a very nice looking site.

Thank you Witness, I appreciate the compliment. That is my main site and my "baby" datafeeds have spoiled me a bit but I do not use them on the main site. Still doing it the old fashioned way. Well 90% anyway.

DFLsports,

Just so you know. I do not use data feeds. I am just a small time affiliate site that still does it all by hand and I try to bring a lot choices for my shoppers. I have been getting a bit of traffic from Yahoo Shopping. I don't really know why but I am not going to complain about it. But as I said I am not a spammer so I think that it's great that the Yahoo Shopping adds some affiliate sites to the results.

Ron

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am referring to the spam type affiliate sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, then I fully agree. I won't buy from spammy sites either. I do however buy from whatever sites come up within the first few results of a google search that are not spammy and seem trustworthy.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The professional SE spammers sell automated scripts to the tricks for clicks clowns who own hundreds of domains. Cheaper to buy a domain name playing off typos, populal keywords and trademarks and populate it with one of the cloned site search databases. Then spam the hell out of the SE amd peoples e-mail boxes. www.searchsite.com is an example of a cloned search portal.

The fine folks running www.netgears.com have a variety of script built offerings for the less then savvy shopper pushing the freebee theme.

No way is this industry going to police it's scumbag affiliates who's only purpose for existing is to trick shoppers and information seekers at the SE level or in their e-mail box with cookie setting schemes. Just like the management at any BHO theftware operation they are expert at hijacking traffic. Imagine the Web surfer time wasted by getting duped into a click by rogue affiliates and the Ad whores!!!

Sure those enterprising datafeed rogue affiliates are violating the TOS agreements at Yahoo Shopping, Froogle and soon AOL & MSN by spamming those merchant only shopper portals with someone elses work. The object of a carefully crafted datafeed should not be to fuel the spammers or fool shoppers into thinking their dealing with a trusted merchant. Of course this falls on deaf ears for those amongst us who give a rats ass about the dime a dozen hijacked visitors. BHO's at least treat their members with some respect once they scheme to get their S/W on their captives systems.

It all boils down to whether you respect the golden rule of affiliate marketing...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO PUT REAL VALUE IN A CLICK ...from a shoppers viewpoint?

The rest are just driven by greed and fuel the shanky mercjhants and AM's who'd sell their souls for more traffic.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread