Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I really like this business. I am able to be a stay at home dad and work out of the home Really just starting take this biz serious the past 12 months. This forum as helped me a great deal and thank you for that! Now for a little more negative thoughts

Unfortunately I know that we all love to make money, for some it's much higher priority than for others but I have seen so many sites that searching google for an item is like weeding out all the junk my in my inbox, frustrating as all heck!. I guess being a little naive about this biz, at first that is, I actually used to hand code my pages (still do alot of coding) and when I said my site posted the best prices I could find on the web, I meant it, well atleast the lowest price of all the stores I am affiliated with. I still try and do things honestly as possible, never posting - Cheap this and Discount that - I use some datafeeds but simpley post the product, price, description and add a few keywords to try to get a better ranking but not Discount - Cheap, etc... I know these are good keywords but man, I have been doing alot of searches lately, start my search, hmmm, lets see here "xyz search" open site one, maybe I find a legitimate retailer, no affiliate, ok, lets move one. Then open so many sites that say "cheap XYZ search or XYZ search, only to find that the stores that the afiliate is linking to does not even sell the item I was searching for, talk about pissing the web users off

I have seen so many debates, a few I have even participated in, "my conversions suck", traffic way up, sales are not", Datafeed sites stink, so do coupon sites" maybe some are real issues, "Parasites are stealing my commissions", etc., etc., etc... But maybe the trend of lots of clicks and low sales is due to all this crap some of us have created!

My sites are not the prettiest nor the ugliest but there are some very poorly designed sites that stick keywords all over the place, yeah, great rank but were in the hell do I find the item I want? Oh wait, 25 clicks down the page, here it is, click on the link, wow, what happened to that nasty site I was just viewing?
    Now I cannot predict the future of this biz but I have a bad feeling we will seeing the anti spam bills coming our way at the rate aff sites are popping up that are using keyword for items that the retailer does not even sell.

I hope more merchants start taking a stand like Backcountry store had done many months ago warning affiliates not to use discount or cheap in describing their product catalog, they sell quality items at a competitive prive, not at discount. I know some of you will read this and think, "I am making lots of money and who cares how I do it." Thats fine, I know it tends to be the American way. Obviously we are not going to police ourselves, we will rant and rave about parasites because that is stealing and I agree it is but maybe "spamming" the web with misleading sites is a close second?

Now I did not mean for this to become a heated debate, please lets keep it clean I am just venting and now stepping of the soap box thanks for reading! I hope you have a good holiday season!

So true. There's a lot of crap out there, and when the SE's try to flush them out all the crap just won't go down!

"Merchant with no cookie get no clicky"

Action Jackson - King of the World
    But as a user how do you know if the price is a discount

Jack Mitchell
    http://jacksretail.com

ABW Ambassador
    DFLsports,

I think you are making a great point. I see a lot of posts here wondering what the future of aff marketing will be. Why don’t we all make an effort to shape what it will be?

If we will all create sites that are truthful and useful to the end user we should never offend the SE’s. I find some of the most useful info on affiliate sites, and that is why they can/will stay in the SE’s.

What you are talking about is abuse and I hope everyone will be responsible for the future of aff marketing and resist the temptation to grab the easy buck.

Discount, cheap and other keywords in your listings when it is not accurate will only drive down conversion, anger the user and cause the advertiser trouble. I wish more AM’s would keep an eye on there publishers like BackcountryStore.com. Especially when they are offering data feeds.

My two cents. thanks

Not only have Affiliate marketers perfected the con on search engines they responsible for the vast majority of spam email. Each of you condiders that your emails are not span but, of coarse, others is spam. It is ALL SPAM!!!!!
    Most of you have an opt out that does not work or when one is recieved you shift to another email sender. One day all seach engines will ban affilated marketing sites and the FEDs will regulate you out of spam. That is why it is a hobby with me. To count on something that is abused is pure folly. I believe, but can't prove it, that 90% of the affiliate marketers, including those who frequent this forum, are guilty as spamers in form or another.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I seem to have picked up a following. Both DSLsports and Freesurf are correct that many members posting here, and those that lurk, are just a spamming group of greed mongers. They talk out of both sides of their mouths about ethics -spam -BHO's while trying everything they can devise to sucker a shopper at the SE traffic source to set their cookies.

I sure hope the SE's clamp down on all the SE spam games run by affiliates forcing them to actually put some consumer value into a click. Running the e-mail spammers out of the commission pool will get a lot easier once they get isolated by the networks under joint law suits. No longer can the networks or merchants ignor spammers as their own butts are on the line with fines and jail terms.

Anyone who is legit all the way will eventually get the last laugh on the tricks for clicks crew.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I couldn't have said it better, Mike.
    I get tons of affiliate marketing spam in my email mailboxes every single day....
    As to using SE misleading tactics - sooner or later those sites will go down. The owners don't care, they'll simply build more crap under new domains (for a while, until it's possible) - but the mentality of "making a lot of bucks today and to heck with tomorrow" is short-sighted and will backfire.

am I the only one who practically never gets spam?

I've signed up to dozens of newsletters and never get spam. My main email address is a yahoo address to boot.. yahoo must have great filtering.

I remember this one time I signed up with hotmail.. within hours I had spam and it wasn't exactly a common email name(because NO normal names are left :P )

I've had this yahoo email address for years and never got much email until I started this affiliate thing.. but the ones I do get are ones I've signed up for or from merchants I'm affiliated with.

I agree with DFLsports. Some of you guys are ruining this business with your spam websites. The situation is getting worse and worse. I knew it was bad but only recently realized how bleak it is when poon mentioned researching dr jays keywords in google.

What are you guys going to do when the parasites are in compliance (if that ever happens) and you are still getting tons of clicks and no sales? Who will you blame then? The networks?
    Some of you have already started blaming coupon sites. I am sure that it is only a matter of time before the people who have been screaming about parasites and coupon sites start reporting your sites to google. These people are already encouraging merchants to drop you.

Google goes up for sale next year and you can guarantee that if this spam doesn't stop and you guys don't start taking pride in your work ALL aff sites are going to get dropped from goo's database.

15 years and counting
    Glad to see I'm not the only one to worry about the future of Affiliate Marketing.
    Spammers are everywhere. I wonder how SE like Google are still able to sort all that junk.
    The networks are not doing their job, they monetize the crooks, they monetize the spammers... they have a lot of responsabilities together with the Affiliate Managers.
    What can we do to promote ethics in Affiliate Marketing?

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

The internet, as you all know, is a communications highway. It is in its early stage of development not unlike the US highway system in the fifties. I fear that affliate marketers are very much like the roadside attractions of that era. When the interstates and freeways were developed most went under. A precious few strong survived. The moral is keep your resumes up-to-date.

This is in regards to search engine...

What is spam, exactly? As far as I am concerned, if your web page is about XYZ, and you are optimizing it for XYZ, then that is fine. If you are selling car insurance, and you optimize a page for "britney spears", then that is SPAM.

Mike: You are missing the point COMPLETELY about affiliate sites/search engines. I do not build my sites for the consumer. They do not pay me. I build my sites for merchants. I help them get found and make sales. Are television commercials designed to add value to your must-see Thursday night shows? Is that billboard on the side of the interstate there to add to the beauty of the surroundings?

People find things via the search engines. You either need to be ranked high for what they want or pay to be ranked high.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    "If you are selling car insurance, and you optimize a page for "britney spears", then that is SPAM."

This was the point I was trying to make. So many sites promote certain keyword and when you try to find that keyword or product, the site they are promoting does not even carry the item you are looking for.

You are exactly on point witness.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Witness said!!!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Its also spam when people build three identical sites and stuff them in the se's. It's also spam when you type in a keyword and there are *nothing but affiliate sites in the serps for that word or phrase* all promoting the same merchant. Its like the gimme, gimme, gimme crew queing up offering no value and not letting anyone else get a look in.

If the purpose of this forum is to help affiliates make money then it will ultimately fail unless affilates become more responsible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> bluemountain wrote: If the purpose of this forum is to help affiliates make money then it will ultimately fail unless affilates become more responsible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think this is a very good point. I also get mad when I'm searching for information and all I can find are sites that want to sell.

Sometimes you want to know more before you buy, and these datafeed driven sites that offer nothing other than a picture, a brief description, and a price do not help. Especially when there are 10 or 15 of them with the same picture, info, and price. Affiliates need to provide something extra to be of benefit to the customer.

I know shopping sites and coupon sites serve their purpose well, but when that's ALL you find in the top SE results, something is wrong. And in the end, it will backfire on all of us as consumers get fed up with it.

As for affiliates who spam, on you. You are making it more difficult for honest affiliates to make money. Go away and find something else to do.

Andy

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If I'm searching for information about something (and not wanting to buy something) I usually exclude the word "price" from the search query.

That pretty much kills off all the affiliate spam. :^)

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    never mind.

[This message was edited by Chez Noir on November 09, 2003 at 11:12 AM.]

If your site is genuine SE spam, then you're likely to get whacked by one of your competitors reporting it anyway.

I think it pays off to build sites with a quality, unique selling proposition that gives customers the information they want and is more than just copy-and-paste or datafeed stuff. OK, I run datafeeds too but they turn over hardly any income.

Let's say for example that you see a gap in the market for widgets. If you build a site that has comprehensive information on widgets and how to use them, contains comprehensive product links to every type of widget in the world, and looks decent then you can end up with a major widget site that works well because it's more than just a set of product links. Build a site like that (and I have a couple) and all of a sudden, the merchants will come hammering on YOUR door wanting to be let in.

In other words, build a site that's better than the competition, better than the merchants and gives visitors something useful, then you'll have a valuable site that's worthwhile for visitors, merchants and your bottom line.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread