Price Comparison - Getting Started
    I want to start a very simple price comparison site. Like at shopbot.

One search bar then simple filtering and sorting after the search for the product.

1. Does anyone recomend a good script for such a task?

2. Once I get my site running, do I have to contact a merchant to see if they have Data Feeds?

I've looked at affiliate networks for feeds, but they don't have a lot of Canadian retailers.

As with any site, I would recommend that you try to find something that either A) hasn't been done or B) that you'll be able to do better than anyone else. If you only goal is to be "like [whatever]", you're going to have an uphill battle getting traffic and distinguishing yourself.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    "I want to start a very simple price comparison site"

There is no way you would ever be able to compete with the huge sites that are already doing this. Not with a simple price comparison site.

Be different

no way... i've got a plan it's going to be diffrent

Some merchants prohibit using their datafeeds for comparisons, it can make some look bad, especially when price includes shipping. That can further limit the datafeeds available.

There aren't many Canadian retail affiliate programs to begin with. And of the ones that exist, few have decent datafeeds. You'll probably have to work directly with merchants, and possibly outside the typical affiliate structure -- i.e., pay per click instead.

Check out your competition, find out which merchants they're working with, and then contact the affiliate managers or online marketing managers of those merchants to see what they can offer in terms of datafeeds and commissions.

As for a script, if it's something unique you're offering then you'll need a custom script anyway.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Some merchants prohibit using their datafeeds for comparisons, it can make some look bad, especially when price includes shipping. That can further limit the datafeeds available.
    I've never heard of this. In my experience merchants are happy to be part of a price comparison site because they realize the customer value in it. I'm just curious, are these merchants you're talking about price matchable? Many merchants carry products that simply can't be matched up to other stores. In any event if their prices aren't good they may not be a good store to promote in the first place.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I have some merchants that prohibit display with other similar products, in the TOC. One goes so far as to forbid competitor's products on your site. I considered tossing them but it's already built and I don't have time to start another one right now. It is a very niche product.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    There aren't many Canadian retail affiliate programs to begin with. And of the ones that exist, few have decent datafeeds. You'll probably have to work directly with merchants, and possibly outside the typical affiliate structure -- i.e., pay per click instead.

Check out your competition, find out which merchants they're working with, and then contact the affiliate managers or online marketing managers of those merchants to see what they can offer in terms of datafeeds and commissions.

As for a script, if it's something unique you're offering then you'll need a custom script anyway.
    You were right about there not being a lot of Canadian affiliate programs. I'm going to have to approach each retailer separately. Is there a standard when it comes to datafeeds? Or will I have to configure my site differently if a merchant has a different way of providing the feed.

I did some research on my own and found Price Tapestry and one from Kaon Softwares. I might buy Price Tapestry for the fact that it's cheaper and that it looks like it has better support.
    It's going to cost me more than I thought... $255USD and $250 to LinkShare to setup the datafeed

It depends on what you are planning to do. How many datafeeds will you combine, have your own server etcetc. You say a simple comparison site like shopbot (i guess you mean http://shopbot.com.au ) ...that's not a simple one. Have you looked at the number of merchants and products?

I bought the kaon software 1 1/2 months ago and still am in startup phase as mapping categories is a crime. But that's with all comparison scripts.

I'm not saying now way etcetc but I do say do not underestimate the tasks involved in getting a good comparison site

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread