Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    WAH? Got a schedule? Me neither.
    An artist I follow on twitter, her name is Natasha Wescoat, wrote a very interesting article with a lot of ideas about how WAH-ers can add meaningful structure to their workday. It really struck a chord with me because I have no real structure to my workday. Ass-in-chair is puncutated by laundry, phone calls, food prep, errands and the non-negotiable demands of dogs.

I'm kind of a free-wheeling person but I do think I could benefit from a bit of healthy structure in my life. Natasha's article really got me thinking. I'm interested to hear what others think -- about the ideas in her article -- but also about how your workday is structured -- or not. (I can use all the motivation I can get.)

http://natashasartcandy.com/2008/10/...nt-equal-lazy/

Setting a schedule is an important thing. I usually make a web page before checking email. If I check email first thing in the morning my day is shot.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    When anyone tells me I *should* get on a "schedule," I tell them I have a schedule: I go to bed at 5 in the morning and wake up at 2 in the afternoon.

*gonna go read the article anyway LOL*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

My family, not my wife or kids, thinks I should be getting a REAL job. They just can't comprehend or understand our schedule. To them everyone should go to bed at 10pm and get up at 5-6 am.

We do have a schedule. It's just "flexible".

Though lately I have been assigning "hourly blocks" to various tasks that need to be done daily. That is sort of a schedule. I say okay I need to assign 2 hours per day on design, 2 hours on writing, etc. It helps a lot to be more productive.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I totally disagree with setting an alarm. It is much better to wake up naturally. Of course, I get up on average about 6 hours earlier than Rexanne without an alarm, so perhaps some people really need that. :-)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    For 26 years, I ran and/or drove frantically, and suffered incredible stress, to keep a schedule the nature of my work set for me: 8:30 in Santa Monica, 11:00 in Van Nuys, 1:30 in Rivereside, 3:30 in Santa Ana, etc., day after day after day. For 26 years. Just to get to my office, on the days I went there first, usually for appointments in my office, it was a 1-1/2 hour 20 mile drive in the early morning, never knowing when an accident or construction work would make me late.

When I went screaming into the night in late 2000, and eventually landed in affiliate marketing, one of the great enticements, was the fact that there WAS NO SCHEDULE.

The LAST THING I could stand would be to have to follow one any more than I absolutely have to.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

schedules are repetative, and can lead to a boring life.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    For 26 years, I ran and/or drove frantically, and suffered incredible stress, to keep a schedule the nature of my work set for me: 8:30 in Santa Monica, 11:00 in Van Nuys, 1:30 in Rivereside, 3:30 in Santa Ana, etc., day after day after day. For 26 years. Just to get to my office, on the days I went there first, usually for appointments in my office, it was a 1-1/2 hour 20 mile drive in the early morning, never knowing when an accident or construction work would make me late.
    GAWD - makes me shudder just reading this.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I have always preferred a "to do list' to a schedule.
    Before I go to bed I try to list 10 things I want to accomplish the next day.
    In the morning as I have my coffee I prioritize the list.
    When its finished, I'm officially done for the day. If I want to work longer, fine.
    But if I want to do other things, I feel I have accomplished what I set out to do.

From what I've seen, the most direct reason people fail when they work from home, regardless of the industry is a lack of discipline. A schedule is a good way to help them become disciplined.

Most people go from a structured work environment; be here at this time and do that until your boss or supervisor tells you to do something different, then go to lunch at this time be back and do the other thing until you are told to go home. It's a structure that many people hate, but in fact need to be productive.

Going from such a strict structure to complete freedom is a difficult leap for most. Initially, especially, they find it hard to focus on what they should be doing and when it should be done. They may get distracted by 'make work' or normal life interruptions and still have a mindset of after X'clock, I'm done with work and it's 'me' or family time.

If you are able to survive and grow a profitable business, you eventually learn it's not the same life style from which you came. You have only your self, and maybe your family, to which to answer. It doesn't matter when you do X, Y and Z, as long as all get done.

Just as Rexanne and others who've been successfully working from home for some time, she has things she does, just not an a traditional schedule. But the fact that she probably does the same basic things each day and doesn't end the day until she's done them is in a way a schedule. Just not the same that someone just starting out would need.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

When the kids are in school I pretty much can have a consistent schedule, when they are out they dictate mine from running around to activities, homework, feeding them, volunteer work, etc. Any other time I can be found working.

Before doing AM I used to be heavily into fitness and woke up every morning at 5am to go workout for 3 years straight. Everyday. Now it's been replaced with AM.

* I go to bed around 2 am.
    * Wake at 6:30 am to get kids off to school.
    * Work form 8 am to 1pm in my stinking clothes , no shower, pretty much looking like a homeless person, and a mess
    * 1 pm - Take shower and get dressed and beautify myself.
    * Work more.
    * 3 pm - Kids come home and stop work.
    * 9 pm work till 2 am. Sometimes later.
    Usually check ABW around 10 pm. Try to not check during the day otherwise I get nuttin done.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    When anyone tells me I *should* get on a "schedule," I tell them I have a schedule: I go to bed at 5 in the morning and wake up at 2 in the afternoon.
    This. I also tell them a few other, less printable, things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostdeviant
    I totally disagree with setting an alarm.
    The article suggests an ALARM?!?

I'd better not read it then. My monitor wouldn't work too well if I threw a shoe through it!
    (BTW, I'm on my way to bed now...)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I don't really have a schedule, I do have things I have to accomplish everyday, but I have a 2 year old, who lately has me thinking one day she will be a wonderful dictator. Even without a schedule I do find my self waking up around 4am just to get some work in before my little leader wakes up.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I would like to be more organized but I'm afraid that I'd rebel against myself and have to overthrow myself for a less stringent form of government. IOW, I don't like having a boss. Not even myself. I also don't enjoy being the boss.

I am however very disciplined about getting on the computer and working. I even have spreadsheets to keep track of which pages have been updated and which have been added -- and when. Maybe I'm not in such bad shape after all! There's room for improvement as my "to do" lists sometimes get misplaced or put aside in favor of less onerous tasks. My biggest problem is that I'm highly distractable and wander off course to beat up on trolls and spammers at ABW or shmooze on Twitter. Fortunately I'm not interested in daytime TV or I'd probably be in big trouble.

Great Article, thanks for sharing!

I like to consider myself a person a good discipline, but the fact is I get much more done when I come to the office. Of course I don't really have a home office, so that might have something to do with it as well. But I do like to have a routine when I get up to set me at ease. I like starting with some activity as the article mentions too to get my bloodflow going. It's funny what they said about even the smell of coffee energizing you because I was just thinking about that this weekend, very true. This forum has become part of my routine as well and I've definitely gotten lost in it sometimes. But I've I think I've trained myself to just focus on what's relevant to me and trying to contribute where I can now.

Yes, I also think structure is good for productivity. You're lucky you have the flexibility!

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I only recently started working from home, and I know that as a creature of habit I should have a schedule, and for the most part I do.

I've been working on the same times that I worked on for years, and as I do work at home but don't work for myself, I feel it's professionally important for me to work during the day when my coworkers are available so I can get stuff done effectively.

It's nice that my routine isn't locked down like it was when I worked in an office, but I do have a rhythm that I work with that helps me get stuff done during the day.

My schedule is based on my internal day-planner and clock. I turn in by 1:00 AM, sleep until I wake up, usually around 7:00, and squeeze everything else in between...

X

I work far better with a to-do list than a scedule. That way as long as pretty much everything on the list is covered by the end of the day I'm OK. One thing I am NOT looking for is more stress.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

I used to work for myself and run my internet business as and when I saw fit...which I now see was kind of haphazard since I had "all the time in the world". This year I decided to get a supplementary job. I now drive a school bus for our local school district. I now have to "fit in" my internet ventures in between my morning and afternoon runs. Believe it or not, now that I have put myself on a "schedule", I am more productive than ever. Wish I had done this a while ago.

Jim
    [URL=http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com]MoonShadows Farm Country Store[/URL]
    Business Opportunities - 4 Ways to Make Money
    Affiliate, Drop Ship, Wholesale & Associate Downline

I have twin baby boys...you bet we're on a schedule lol

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread