W. Henrietta, NY (outside of Rochester)
    Unhappy Newbie needs site / landing page help.
    I'm a confused newbie. From what I've read, you need a "real" website (lots of content & links) to keep the Google spyderbots happy. I want to promote Clickbank products (to start) using a landing page and autoresponder. Do I set up a web page for every product so I can link a landing page to it and not get a poor quality score? My guru programs that I've purchased always seem to pass over this problem. Thanks for any insight.

Hi Bill, and welcome to ABW...!

You have a few options, it depends on the type of site you want to build. It's not unusual to have one page per product, as it does tend to be higher quality. But it's only effective in google if you actually write your own original content about the product (which is why it's a VERY good idea to choose a topic you know & enjoy writing about).

Some sites are more content-related.. which means within an article, there are product links. So no, one product does not have it's own page. Examples (off the top of my head), pet care, or specific hobbies, kids activities.. these would link to a variety of products as related to the article.

You also won't find too much interest here for what supposed "gurus" have to say but you WILL meet people who have actually succeeded in this wacky biz we call affiliate marketing. Plus this info is all free!

Never, Never Land
    Google keeps track of content/ads ratios. Keeping a Higher Content to Lower Ad ratio will help. Your website will (probably) not come up in search engine results if it's not optimized - and if it's only ads it will be degraded. And although I am totally into search engine optimization - it's not the only way to market and bring attention to your pages.

According to a Google paper that was let out last March or something (it was explaining to Google employees how to evaluate the quality of a website if they're unsure) - If your page has only ads and no content, it will be strongly devalued - and even disregarded.

Google gave the example by comparing a website that had just products that were identical to the ones on Amazon and listed Amazon's same product descriptions. That website was ignored. However, another website had products from Amazon BUT they added reviews, comments, in depth original product description, and stuff like that so they were considered "valuable" (relatively speaking) because they gave the user more VALUE and the website gained a higher status in the search engine results pages.

Another point, a person searching for "digital cameras" will get websites with information on digital cameras and product reviews, whereas someone searching for "canon xyzpdq" will get more product related pictures and websites, reviews, even history, and "buy canon xyzpdq" will get lots of price comparison lists and stores.

One person somewhere suggested to put up seven pages of content before you post an ad. I didn't - but I have a decent content/ad ratio I think - I'm coming up in search engine results - one of my blogs comes up number six for plane crash statistics last time I looked - which amazes me because I wrote that for my daughter (she was afraid of a plane falling on the house) and never thought anyone would read it! Who knew so many people were looking for plane crash statistics??? Now I just have to figure out WHY these people want plane crash statistics! (Are they flying? Do they need plane tickets? Do they already have plane tickets? Do they need luggage? Do they need a will? Do they need therapy? Who are these people????)

That's another lesson learned - the longer you have your website, the more you'll be surprised at what you'll find out about what people want and what they're looking for.

Aww gee, just did another search. I dropped to the bottom of the first page. poopers. Have to work on that.

I'm new to affiliate marketing, but I'm not new to search engine optimization. I know nothing about autoresponders except I did an article on them once and forgot what I wrote. (Thinking to work on newsletters though...)

Links are VERY important in search engine optimization. Content and links- and DON'T pay for programs that automatically generate a thousand links because Google demotes "link farms." (It can get you banned.)

Personally, I'd think it would be okay to promote one product and write about the topic aggressively. Promoting more than one related product with related content can be successful too. The important thing is to keep things related - that doesn't mean limiting yourself. But Google wants to get an idea of what your website is about so they can see if you are a match for what the user is looking for. Supposedly, the best match wins. Google is all about "what the user is looking for" - and you have to give it to them. (Why do people want your product and what do they do to find it now?)

Don't forget, you can create your own websites linking to yourself. (And one-way links to your website are far more worthy than recipricol links - although recipricol links don't generally hurt (unless it looks like link-farming)). For instance, you have website X. So you create a free google blog, wordpress blog, yahoo, google whoever has free websites/blogs on related topics and have them link to you. Now you have incoming links. But FIRST write the content for your main website because Google does look at dates, and unfortunately, domain age, so being new, you're kind stuck for a while - even with your own links. Google judges by the quality of links going into a website because their theory is - if people are linking back to it and nothing is asked in return, it must have something valuable to offer. AND Google looks at the content in the websites that link to yours. They use the content to better define your website - the more related the content it is - the clearer Google's picture of you is, and you are more likely to show up in the SERPS (search engine result pages) from a search engine user query that's related to your content.

For links - you can also bookmark yourself on bookmarking websites like Digg, Furl, Stumble Upon, Delicious, Reddit and whatever else there is. I always have a spike in traffic after bookmarking a post. But you have to have content.

It's real easy to start a blog. Start with something like Google's blogger to "test the waters" - that's what I did. Make your mistakes and once you learn a little do a better, quicker job with the bigger job. (I have a long way to go.)

But there is life beyond Google - you can promote your website through videos, social media websites, write articles with a link going to your website, and don't forget to merge offline and online marketing if you can. (Advertising in traditional methods for your online website.) Advertise, and provide content off your website that directs to your website if you can't put the content on your website.

I haven't done PPC but that's works too I guess.

But I have to say, content is important. (And don't rule out going to freelance websites and paying someone to do what you can't. You'd be surprised at the cheap rates - some are real low quality, some aren't - but I'm thinking if it's low quality and you can fix it up then you're still saving time and effort. (Even though I write, I'm considering paying someone to write content for websites I'm creating because I want to do a lot fast and I don't have the time - and I have other people I write for on a regular basis.) Depends on your budget. I spend money too fast to have a budget. It's that darn ebay that keeps getting in my way.

Sorry for rambling - I guess short answer is - promoting one product per page/site or several products per page/site will both work just as effectively. Just keep your "niche" clearly defined and try to determine your target market with a strong image of your customer profile so you know where to market your website without wasting time reaching people who aren't going to buy. Also, do research on competitors and figure out where and how and why you are better - see where they're linking to and who's linking to them and maybe get leads from that. I'm getting carried away and talking too much! Good luck with your website!
    Last edited by fivekitten; December 2nd, 2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: left a word out

fivekitten, very wonderful post!

Hi Bill,

Im having the same issues with Google myself. After choosing my keywords and building what I thought was a great targeted ad, Google decides my site is irrelevant. The funny thing is that I chose my keywords based on what Google suggested after crawling my website. I think the real problem is that I'm in the highly competitive Insurance field and my bids are probably laughable to the "Google Powers that Be".

I also have my own retail site and have been pretty successful bidding on product specific keywords, and terms.
    PPC can be great for promoting products of all types, I guess the important thing is the content of your product descriptions. I think the best thing to do is to try to create your own descriptions like Fivekitten suggests, alot of the products I sell are also sold by other retailers and they all use the same generic descriptions. I know it can be time consuming but in the end it can be the difference between a good day online or a great day.

Good Luck Bill

Norwalk, CT
    Make sure once you get the site going ..

to have a valid xml format sitemap..

Then go to the webmaster sections on google / yahoo / msn (Live ) / ask and submit in your sitemap and ummmm

also have the sitemap listed in your robots.txt file !

Madison, WI
    The quality score is a tough thing to chase. Just when you think you have it figured out, it will change.

This is a lot like the natural search results. Everyone was keyword stuffing and then link baiting, and then... only to find out that the only thing you really can do is build a good site that generates lots of natural links and has a lot of original quality content.

Once you have a good site like this, you will have better luck buying traffic from Google and sending it to related sales pages related to your site topic.

If your site is new, you will have difficulty buying traffic from Google. My recommendation is to use Yahoo or MSN to test some traffic into some landing pages leading to Clickbank links. This will allow you to do some testing while you build your site and online credentials (links, content, length of existence, etc...) so when you are good enough in Google's eyes to buy traffic, you will already have some well tested landing pages to send the traffic to.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread