Keeping it fair
    I can tell that the holiday season is starting as I begin to find more and more affiliates posting unauthorized affiliate coupons.

In these tough economic times, I feel that it is my responsibility as an Affiliate Manager to do my best to keep the playing field as level as possible.
    So, any affiliate found to be posting unauthorized affiliate coupons will be removed from my programs and their commissions held/denied. No second chances. When you signed up for my programs, you should have read the T&Cs.

Simple as that. If you don't receive the code directly from me, then you shouldn't post it. If you have any questions about that or any of the T&Cs, then email or call me.
    No excuses this year.

This policy also goes towards any black hatting techniques and any other unethical behaviour that might result in sales/commissions.

I also would like to encourage all affiliates to contact me if they find any affiliate in violation of the rules. You have my promise that I will deal with any issues that are presented to me in a fair and timely manner.

Enough is enough. Play fair or don't play at all.

Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

ABW Ambassador
    "This policy also goes towards any black hatting techniques and any other unethical behaviour"

I am assuming that you have all these techniques forbidden within your T&C's?

It looks as though you will have a huge T&C file if you are going to give no second chance. I hit and you are out sort of thing

I don't think an affiliate who violates T&C is necessarily entitled to a second chance. One hit & you're out is at the merchant's discretion.

Perhaps I'm more sensitive this time of year (and tired!) - I've worked a crazy amount of hours ahead of holiday season & am not that optimistic given the economic downturn. When I'm uncertain about posting something, I contact the merchant directly & ask for clarification.

Seeing black-hat techniques & coupon theft taking place doesn't add to my current mood

What about in forums where the affiliate doesn't do the posting but one of their forum members does? How does your policy work in that situation?

-sfcom

In the past, when coupon codes had been posted in forums, I alerted the affiliate and let them know, and gave a second chance.
    Since then, I have made it quite clear that any unauthorized codes posted on the site will be considered a violation.
    Coupon sites have to take responsibility for all aspects of their site.
    I've had affiliates who just post coupon codes under forums under different usernames to skirt the issue.
    Not anymore.
    Dyan Carlson

ABW Ambassador
    Why not just become a non coupon merchant? Have no coupons available to any affiliates.

Some merchants never offer coupon codes

Julian,
    Abandoning one segment of the affiliate marketplace because some people are using unethical practices would lead to dropping all segments, because in each group there are people doing things that they shouldn’t. You cant’ paint all the affiliates with the same brush.

In every area there are black hats and white hats, just like some purchases are from people who want the product and others are Nigerian fraudsters trying to rip you off. Just because some are fraudsters does not mean you should walk away from everyone.

From a merchants standpoint just kicking them out of the program does not even solve the problem since some affiliates do not clean up their sites; leading to dead end links and re-routes to other programs.

Currently, because of budget issues, I don't have any affiliate coupons available.
    Affiliates are taking the codes sent to our customers via email and posting them.

And I agree with CCBerries. You can't just give up and give in; there are too many good affiliates out there who are really working hard to promote my programs. They deserve all the help they can get. I will just work extra hard to get rid of those who abuse the process.
    Dyan Carlson

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread