Really growing WEARY of lame search for merchants at SAS
    Perhaps it's just me, but it really gets tiresome trying to find a specific merchant at SAS using their lame merchant search function.

I belong to a merchant's program there several of you probably know about and belong to KiteAndWind.

I just noticed in my PopShops dashboard that there's another, similar SAS merchant listed -- Wind Toys Online. I thought about joining them.

I did the obvious thing, but obviously it was wrong: I went to my SAS dashboard to the "basic search" option and plugged in the word "wind."

HAH! How foolish. I got 100+ returns. When I scrolled through them NEITHER "KiteAndWind" NOR "Wind Toys Online" were in the search results for "wind." However, the first five merchants listed were webhosting companies. WHAT?? Okay, so one of them was ThinkHost, which advertises using wind power and other "green" sources of energy for their datacenters or whatever.

But, for gosh sakes, is it too much to ask of the search function that "Wind Toys Online" and/or "KiteAndWind" should at least turn up when the search was for "wind"????????

I mean, I also got results such as "Quite Healthy Technologies," "Spotmau Limited," and "PC MightyMax, Inc." -- whatever those are and whatever they may have to do with "wind."

Good grief. How lame can the SAS basic search function be and nobody finds a way to improve it at least a little??????
    Generate more fake news.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I just tried a search using "kite" and both KiteAndWind and Wind Toys Online came up, and only 2 other merchants came up, one related and one not.

I did notice for Wind Toys Online that they're active since 2005 and show 0 epc and 0 commissions. (The good news is they also show 0 reversals.) Maybe they're hiding.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Both actually do show up for the keyword wind - but I can understand why you might not have seen them as they are down the list due to the number of web hosting programs that are higher up the list (sorted by EPC)...

Wind-toys-online is actually at a $0 7-day EPC so they wouuld be at the bottom.

As you pointed out, the web hosting merchants are showing up due to many of them utilizing wind power, or promoting green hosting, etc...

The merchant search function is on our list of things to improve though, so hopefully our new effort will narrow down the list a little on generic keywords.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Hmmm...I just tried with a search for Wind Toys and got one result, wind-toys-online.com. I also tried a search for kites and got three results, including Wind Toys Online and Kite and Wind. The third was for a beach shop - go figure.

I have been pretty successful with the search, but I agree that it can use some improvement. I have no "real" idea how it works, but I imagine that merchants select key words for which they would like to be found. It that's the case, then the main results are mainly dependent on the merchant, not SAS.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Not my day for searching, I guess. Seems to be that sort of Monday. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Ain't that what Monday's are for?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Just fyi, no comment on search, but since you mentioned finding this merchant in PS, SAS is one of those thoughtful (and few) networks that provides a URL with the ability to link directly to a merchant and apply to them.

So, in the event you do find an SAS merchant, if you click the little "SAS" icon next to the merchant name in PopShops , it will show you a dialog box and if you click the "apply now" link that will link directly to the merchants application page. It will also show you the merchant ID. I've found that entering that merchant ID into the search box will yield search results in the SAS basic search.

And they also set up their linking structure so you can go directly to other of the merchant's options just by understanding the linking structure and knowing the merchant ID (which you can also see by clicking that same little green icon).

I really find the way they've set up their URLs useful...kuddos.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    Just fyi, no comment on search, but since you mentioned finding this merchant in PS, SAS is one of those thoughtful (and few) networks that provides a URL with the ability to link directly to a merchant and apply to them.

So, in the event you do find an SAS merchant, if you click the little "SAS" icon next to the merchant name in PopShops , it will show you a dialog box and if you click the "apply now" link that will link directly to the merchants application page. It will also show you the merchant ID. I've found that entering that merchant ID into the search box will yield search results in the SAS basic search.

And they also set up their linking structure so you can go directly to other of the merchant's options just by understanding the linking structure and knowing the merchant ID (which you can also see by clicking that same little green icon).

I really find the way they've set up their URLs useful...kuddos.

Jessie
    That's fantastic - wish i knew about it before.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Hey, yeah, thanks, Jessie. That's really helpful and good to know.
    Generate more fake news.

Brian,

This would make a good sticky.

The whole SAS system is lacking horribly, but it makes up for it in good merchants.

Please elaborate a little xentech. Your statement seems a little broad. The "whole system is lacking horribly" in what respect?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread