Shared Hosting Experience
    Hi Everyone,

Do you use Shared Hosting? What is your experience with it? what kind of user load (X hits per day) does the shared hosting take before you start to have performance issues.

When is the time to upgrade to dedicated server?

Thanks,
    Sam

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by acpd
    Hi Everyone,

When is the time to upgrade to dedicated server?

Thanks,
    Sam

as soon as you can afford it.

Agree with Julian.. as soon as possible.

It's not a "number of hits" or traffic issue, the problem with shared is limitations on resources for scripts & database apps.

Once you start using more advanced apps, a shared host can (and will) disable your script if the resources exceed your allocation. Plus you may not have access to change hosting parameters.. (ie. not enough flexibility to optimize your site performance).

I'd say to do a little more analysis than "when you can afford it". You may be able to afford but your site is doing just fine where it is. Or you may not really be able to afford it but you need it to make your site grow to generate more revenue. It is a matter of performance.

If you can find a way to measure your sites or database response time that would be good to use to establish a baseline. If you are happy with it check it every now and then and trend it. Set some number that you will use that means it is time to upgrade to a VPS. Then start your baselining all over again.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

now a days some of the bigger dogs like blue host and host gator and the bunch are reliable so it's all about who you share with and on. Some host will let you refer your own sale....host gator will not

now it becomes a question of what resources you need...if your throwing up basic html you be able fly 1000's of visitors, but php or ed things like wordpress will eat through shared resources much faster.

so the question is what are you serving?

All,

Thank you very much for everyone's reply. Great replies..

My site is going to be php + mysql. So I am thinking it will need some server resources. But again this is a new site so I don't except high volume atleast at the beginning. I am thinking volume will go up during next few months.

I like to know what are you personnal experiences with php + mysql site? How many hits were you able to take per day with shared hosting?

I am thinking of using webhostingpad they told me they don't shutdown the site like others do if the site uses more resources. So hopefully I can survive with the for few months.

Thank you again for everyone's help.
    Sam

hosting
    The real thing is what control panel, etc.....

For example, if the host is running Virtualmin you can start shared and after your site builds to a point where shared won't cut it anymore simply have them move the site to a dedicated server (like, 10 minutes to do this).

I'm pretty biased in that I own my own datacenter and use Virtualmin.. But I'm sure Cpanel and Plesk can let you do things like this too if the hosting company supports it.

Do you homework on the host company and ask the "scalability" question.

Scott

Scope out your options before you need them. If you plan out how you will move from shared to say a VPS it should be fairly simple. For example if you have a documented process to say backup your site and mysql, then fairly quickly you can modify those steps to also do a restore on another site. Then when the time comes you are working on any final configuration issues, not how to transfer files.

Sam,

PhP and MySql chew up the resources a bit in shared for sure and if the box your sharing is hammered by a bad script on your site or someoneelses your site could be down untill the offender is suspended or fixed....got my share of gray hairs with that issue before i art errorcated on hosting ;-)

the control panel advise is valid. I like cpanel for it's ease of use although it chews up some power too, but it allows you to switch host pretty easy if the box your on gets problematic. There are a few good threads with recommendations, but a good shared host should allow you to get your feet wet till you find out what you need. you should be able to find very reliable hosting under about 8 bucks a month, with multiple domain use.

Thanks everyone again..

Great replies again...

I will try the shared hosting first see how it works and than move to dedicated when we can afford it.

One question.. I am hearing lot of host gator here.. I know they are on CJ, do they allow us to use our won links?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread