Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Alcoholic Bailout Package: Right here on ShareASale, who knew?
    Okay, I generally avoid pushing individual merchants in the ShareASale thread, but this just landed in my inbox as a response to my Black Friday query...TOO FUNNY.

Offer: Alcoholic Bailout Package - 10% off your order until the Dow closes above 10,000
    Landing Page (check out the coupon code, hilarious)
    Dates Valid: 10/10/08 until the Dow tops 10,000 points
    Join

Sounds like my kinda store.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

These guys are hilarious, anyone work with them? Was just perusing their site and looks like they got some great content too. Check out this tidbit:

"There are a few alternatives, such as sitting there and drinking by yourself, in your boxers, with a milk crate over your head while screaming over and over I AINT GOT NO PANCAKE MIX!!!!

Less hilarious are the leaks on their website - Google Adsense ads.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    Less hilarious are the leaks on their website - Google Adsense ads.
    Ouch! Guess it's NOT my kinda store after all.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I looked at them a long time ago and they seemed to have some issues.
    When merchants try to run an affiliate program without an OPM, they should at least visit the forum once in a while to see why their program isn't doing as well as it could. They think SAS is running their program for them, doing all the policing, etc. I have come across a lot of small merchants like that though, the products and program are a perfect fit but it's on auto-pilot and/or the site has issues.

Yep, I reached out to them yesterday, we'll see what we can do!

This is the perfect example of a merchant who just needs a little education. They obviously get marketing, but just don't understand all the nuances of affiliate programs yet.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Good move, Carolyn, there are many merchants who just need a little more help to make their programs more successful.

Yep, he got back to us right away and seems really interested in getting involved! He's going to sign up for his own ABW account, but for now, here's a snippet of what he sent over, once again illustrating how great you guys can be at helping us getting a merchant involved

"I'll join abestweb shortly and respond there as well. Im liking the feedback I see from others. They hit the nail right on the head with the "auto pilot" approach. We had been doing newyorkbarstore.com as a part time venture with me and a business partner for about 4 years now."

That looks like a step in the right direction. Thank you Carolyn!

BTW this topic comes up periodically from time to time; at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=96330 and another at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=96793 so I'm wondering if SAS has decided to help alert some of these folks to participate in their own success?

Looks like he's too shy to post at ABW

I just got this yesterday:

Hello !!affiliate!!,

We at New York Bar Store are currently in the process of taking some steps to reinvigorate our affiliate program. One of the main suggestions we've received is to REMOVE GOOGLE ADDS from our site, which many affiliates see as a "leak" when they direct traffic to us.

Therefore, www.newyorkbarstore.com no longer has Google ads! Hope this is good news for you. Now any traffic you direct us will stay on newyorkbarstore.com and hopefully result in additional sales.

If you have any questions or further suggestions, please contact me directly at andrew - at - newyorkbarstore.com. As this is a new step for us, your feedback on what is going to help you better sell our products is key, and we look forward to whatever you may suggest.

Cheers,

Andrew Moran
    General Manager
    New York Bar Store

I think I know why he doesn't come in here. He lied. There are still Google ads, and many leaks to other sites. As far as I can tell they are not aff links, he's probably doing it to rank his site better, but too many outbound links, and they have AdSense and Google ads on the NewYorkBarStore and all the sites I followed outlinks to. In the menu there's a link to Modern Bar Design that leads to modernbardesign.com for example, where you can search the database for furniture, etc.
    He needs to set up his affiliate links all to one directory only so he can run his own business the way he wants and let affs send shoppers only to a shop section. There are dropship links, wholesale links, too many leaks.

Hello Carolyn,

Sorry for the delay in this - far from shy, just been too busy.

2busy,

First, nothing but the truth here. Where are you seeing google ads on my site? I turned them off and Im looking page by page - I cant find one. Let me know if there is and I'll take it down.

As for the current outbound links (such as modernbardesign.com) yes they are there. This is how our site gets found through google by being well connected to the rest of the web. If I didnt have such high results in google, I wouldnt have a viable website, and without a viable website, affiliates would have nowhere to direct their sales for me to pay them commission on. Its like a "chicken or the egg" - you cant have one without the other. And really, if I was losing sales to these kind of outbound links, I wouldnt have them in the first place. I dont want to direct affiliate traffic off my site, but I dont want to direct my current customers off the site either. Both result in zero dollars into my account, and thats the name of the game either way.

For instance, I dont see the fact that I offer a drop ship program as distracting to someone who clicks an affiliate link to my site for a cool bottle opener they saw on an affiliate site. Where's the connection there? I have people contact me looking at the site asking if I offer drop shipping, and they are actually looking for these links. I think we are talking about .0001% of all referrals being lost to something like that on the high side.

Anyway, you did mention something about "set up his affiliate links all to one directory only". Do you mean just have a page that is just a list of the products when an affiliate link comes in?

In the mean time, I got about a dozen emails yesterday applauding removing google adds, and I do thank you for the suggestion - step in the right direction. Let me know what you think about above, I'll take it in consideration.

Cheers,

Andrew

BTW - is there any way in shareasale to track whats lost to "leaks" on the site? If so, I'll take a look but I think the site is pretty tight to "real" leaks (google adds) as opposed to "maybe might could be" leaks that I cant imagine are directing any amount of traffic away from sales.

SAS offers a tracking code that's typically used for display with phone numbers (reference number XXXX when you call type thing) in order for merchants to track phone orders for their affiliates. It gives a default code for non-affiliate traffic, and will change if an affiliate sent the visitor. There may be someway to use that, if you can retrieve the number from the code. Wrap your ads in a show/hide code. If the number is the default number, show ad(s), if the number is not the default (meaning an affiliate sent the visitor), dont show the ad(s).

I guess that's possible, without having actually seen the SAS code they give.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Good to see you in here Andrew, maybe I should have selected my words more carefully, but my reaction came when clicking through the above link and the first page I went to had several Google ads on it. Take a look at the ModernBarDesign page.

My suggestion was not to have a single product page but a section free of the outbound links in a subdirectory. If affiliate links went to a landing page/s with less click through opportunities, conversions would be more likely to take place.

Your site is fine for what you are doing: optimizing your own generic rank, that's a good thing. The only complaint I have as an affiliate is promoting your products to shoppers who go into a whole new list of places to go to. Whether it is Google ads or free outbound links.

Welcome to ABW! Where we're all too busy.

Hi Andrew,

If those links are important to you and obviously your program is important to you as well there are ways to block those outbound links to affiliate traffic. You can use a script to detect the affiliate cookie and when that cookie is present, you can block those links from showing.

For a double thumbs up, you can also use this method to implement phone tracking.

Best of luck with your program. Love the landing page!

***Mobilebadboy, you beat me to the punch
    KK

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread