I think we need a place where we can rate data feeds and tell what we like or don't like about individual feeds.

This could be very helpful to merchants in either improving their own feed or avoiding known pitfalls since it appears many don't really understand what is needed.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Brilliant idea! Especially if an award could be given.

Could be very embarrasing for cj.com though. Maybe we could club together for an award for worst feed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Could be very embarrasing for cj.com though <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Could be???....... it bloody would be

and they have the cheek to charge the affiliates that do not sell above $10,000.000 per month for it.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and they have the cheek to charge the affiliates that do not sell above $10,000.000 per month for it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you think *that's* cheeky, it's nothing compared to Performics!

Make over $20k/month in sales, or pay $2,000!

With a stipulation like that, the chances of me bothering with Performics enough to make $20k/month through their network are practically nonexistant. Heck, even Snare only charges a couple of hundred!

But LS does get the all-time award for gall. It doesn't seem to matter what you make there, it's pay-to-play all the way (unless there's some exception nobody talks about).

As for a rating, my No Stars award goes to AllPosters for having the most convoluted feed I've laid eyes on.

Best awards would be harder--there are quite a few merchants who do it well enough to satisfy my requirements. Basically anyone who refrains from putting in oddball characters (and any characters that mess with WM) is at least in the running. Bonuses are awarded for merchants who fill in all the important fields. Actually putting keywords in the "keywords" field, and descriptions in the "descriptions" field is rarer but there's still enough that it'd be hard to pick out just one merchant.

As the AllPosters Loser Award shows, not being with a network doesn't mean the feeds are better. In fact, general nonstandardization among indies is a definite minus! With a network merchant, you can just make one template and any merchant at that network can fit. Every blasted indie requires a seperate template, and if anything more is needed, a seperate MySQL table. That = work, which = BAH unless it's a *really* promising product line.

That said, some indies do know how to do it fine enough--and there are definitely network merchants who have no clue at all!

Worst CJ feed: Catalog City, or at least it was a few months ago (they've since been dropped due to mass disinterest from my viewers).

Oh, I must mention this irritation: Merchants who put their product names in ALL CAPS. Please, merchants--there's no need to shout the product names. It's anticonversionary when a name is BLASTED AT THE VIEWER IN ALL CAPS! IT'S LIKE READING A CHEESY ENQUIRER AD when the product name is incessantly all-capped, even when the accompanying text is just fine!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

[This message was edited by Leader on November 08, 2003 at 06:48 PM.]

Why wouldn't a merchant just put the feed on site so affiliates can download rather than making their partners spend hard earned dollars to get the same feed from the network ?

All it does is make the networks richer and their partners poorer. ( with less dollars to promote THEIR program )

Seems NUTS to me.

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

The reason is greed. The excuse is that they don't want a bunch of cookie cutter sites bringing everybody down.

That being said, keep an eye on your affiliates and watch what they do with the feed. Some people can be pretty sneaky.

That being said, I am betting on my nonfeed sites to rank highest. I am sending traffic, now. Problem is not much in the way of buyers.

Cliff, not to be mean or hard to get along with, but didn't you say something about changing the appearance of your site? I think you did say that. What's the plan?

I would like to see that big block of red at the top made into side navigation and put the product and product description as the first thing the customer sees. Also, neutral colors would be better for transition from assorted affiliate sites. Don't want to break the mood if they have come to buy.

Sorry if this is unasked for advise but I think you mentioned site redesign yourself. I could be wrong, anyway.

The folks here are great at this and can give all kinds of input. Trust me they really know.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on November 09, 2003 at 09:06 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    The reason is greed. The excuse is that they don't want a bunch of cookie cutter sites bringing everybody down.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greed would dictate the other way. LOTS of exposure will make sales. If a surfer goes to 5 different sites and sees the same products , they will assume that those ARE the products to purchase and do so. ( If all you see is Coke , what will you ask for? )
    As for "cookie cutter" sites , I agree. The sites with the best results will be the ones that use the feed as a foundation , then EXPAND on the pre-sell , keywords etc. with the time the feed saved them. Technology doesn't mean you work less , it just allows you the extra time saved to work more efficient and productive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    That being said, keep an eye on your affiliates and watch what they do with the feed. Some people can be pretty sneaky.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a little naive here. What can they do that is sneaky ? Presuming by sneaky , you mean unethical.

My only concern I see is the bandwidth usage. I spent the other day optimizing the pictures to lower usage and speed load times. I also put the "medium" sized picture url's in the feed. Right now we are at 80 gigs a month which seems high.

That being said, I am betting on my nonfeed sites to rank highest. I am sending traffic, now. Problem is not much in the way of buyers.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No bet here. I agree. As for buyers; you had a nice sale in first day or so. Then days w/o. I think it has to do with the high end prices ( that's why I am adding "budget" products ) , a few days of thinking and asking questions , shopping for ideas , more selection etc. An expensive sword is not always a necessity. Living in St. Thomas , the jewelry capital of the world , I am hearing horror stories from the merchants. Sales are way down for this time of year. But those are excuses , and I hate excuses , so for now the next priority IMO is to post more selection and price points.

Cliff, not to be mean or hard to get along with, but didn't you say something about changing the appearance of your site? I think you did say that. What's the plan?

I would like to see that big block of red at the top made into side navigation and put the product and product description as the first thing the customer sees. Also, neutral colors would be better for transition from assorted affiliate sites. Don't want to break the mood if they have come to buy.

Sorry if this is unasked for advise but I think you mentioned site redesign yourself. I could be wrong, anyway.

The folks here are great at this and can give all kinds of input. Trust me they really know.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ALL advise is ASKED for and APPRECIATED. Don't EVER apologize for giving me advise and criticisms. This is a partnership , I keep stressing that point. OUR ( yours and mine )success depends on working together for the common goal. Making money.

Re the site appearance: I agree. ( I also hate the banners ) But for the time being ( not long ) we have to live with what we have. I have spent the last few weeks creating individual product pages ( guess whose idea that was ) and a workable datafeed. Next I want to get those new products up.

Plans are this: My partners have an advertising agent friend who does websites. ( he did the banners ) The first draft was a pretty , but slow loading , non-commercial , IMO , flash landing page. Great for an info site , bad for a commercial site. It is internal politics , but since I am busy with other things , I just give my opinions on what it should be , and let them "play internet guru". Maybe they will get lucky and produce a site I think can stand up to the critiques at ABW.

Reality is , by spring there will be a site called "General Sword" or "General Swords" ( logos could be of generals through the ages using swords , like Caesar , Napoleon , Custard ,Lee etc ) Toledo Swords will be a line of products of that site. Other lines will be either specialties or categories based on price points or identity.

As for site appearance , I am thinking of running a contest and having the sales force vote on the best site appearance. After all , next to the consumer's opinions , their opinions are the most important.

In the meantime , I have used the present site look personally since December. It does and has converted well for me. For some reason it doesn't convert well for all affiliates. The individual conversion rates and EPC's are all over the place.

Keep those comments coming.

All the Best ,

Cliff

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

Cliff, you're a champ and I really hope I can sale some swords for you. Yes, I know You have worked your hinnie off and a lot of it was laid on you by me.

Leader, Performics has dropped the pay before you get it "problem", I've recently started using several myself, and am no way even close to the 20,000 minimum to get them free. Contact someone there and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to get you started.

Yes, but the last I checked with performics, you could only get the feeds 2 ways, they would email it to you or ftp it to you. They couldn't even give me a schedule on when they would ftp it, so I told them, if I can not automate it, not interested. They would not let me ftp to them to get any feeds...

Yup, Performics sends them to me when they want.

What is so bad about it being FTP'd to you directly?

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

All the feeds by Akiva and WSO are 1'st rate in my book. I would have a hard time choosing which one is best.

Superstore Electronics needs some work, but it has potential.

I haven't tried them all but I intend to.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Of all the feeds I've used, I think Bevmo has the best one.

---
    "What we think, we become."
    -- Gautama The Buddha

I'd love to hear feedback on our datafeed if anyone is so inclined.

Regards,

Victor Hanna
    The BettyMills Company
    Home of the 30,000 product DataFeed
    http://www.BettyMills.com
    http://affiliates.bettymills.com/
    BettyMills ABW Forum
    800-BettyMills (800-238-8964)

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread