Website "creation" software ?
    I would like to try to do something that most of you probably can do in your sleep. I would like to create a website. I'm not talking about a website that needs a site map. I don't mean one with internal link after link . . . nooooo . . . I mean one page, maybe two if I get really wild and crazy. I do not want to buy a program. I just want to get a free trial or free download altogether. I don't know. Do you have some suggestions? Do I have to write it in code? HTML? Please, help me. Thanks!

I like Dreamweaver but you can go to www.download.com (that's CNET's site for freeware and shareware) and see 6 pages of possibilities if you type "website creation" in the search box. You might want to search under "html" or cms (content management system) or editor.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Are you asking how you build a web page using html?

Rhia - Thanks, I'm gonna do that right now.

Julian - No, not if I don't have to. Do I? Should I? Is there a benefit to it?

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyHFSykes
    I would like to try to do something that most of you probably can do in your sleep. I would like to create a website. I'm not talking about a website that needs a site map. I don't mean one with internal link after link . . . nooooo . . . I mean one page, maybe two if I get really wild and crazy. I do not want to buy a program. I just want to get a free trial or free download altogether. I don't know. Do you have some suggestions? Do I have to write it in code? HTML? Please, help me. Thanks!
    You should try the free trial of Dreamweaver and play around. With Dreamweaver, you don't have to write it in code. What you see is what you get. I am still learning how to use it and it is a monster to master all the functions though...(but it's fun)

ABW Ambassador
    My 14 year old daughter uses dreamweaver. It is quite easy to create a page.

You don't have to write the code though. You can, but you don't have to if you aren't familiar with html

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    To make a simple website of just one or two pages, you can just type up what you want in HTML and upload it to your web-hosting account. No need to use any special software for something that basic.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    To make a simple website of just one or two pages, you can just type up what you want in HTML and upload it to your web-hosting account. No need to use any special software for something that basic.
    Not feasible. You have to know html to write a page without using software.

I appreciate all of your help. This truly is the reason these boards exist! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Not feasible. You have to know html to write a page without using software.
    If you can't spend 5 minutes to learn the most basic HTML, you won't survive very long.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    If you can't spend 5 minutes to learn the most basic HTML, you won't survive very long.
    Does it say anywhere in my post that I can't or won't? What did I say?

Do I have to write it in code? HTML?
    and
    No, not if I don't have to. Do I? Should I? Is there a benefit to it?
    I AM a newbie. I am NOT afraid to work. I just did not know the benefit one way or the other. I did not know if it affected what could go on the site, flash, multi-media, rotating banners, etc. Whatever. I'm just looking for help and suggestions. I never said that I would not. I never said that I could not.

Jeremy, I was replying to Julian.

For anyone looking for page/sitebuilding tools, a free program (not a trial, the guy offers it free) is Arachnophilia and I wouldn't try to make sites and pages without it. You do need to know some basics, but it automates so much of what needs to be done. You can open a dozen pages that have a banner you want to replace and in about 5 seconds you can replace them all. Need to change "Summer Special Price" to "Fall Sale Price" on 2000 products? One simple operation because it uses Regular Expressions. Find & Replace can do half a page if you want, and with custom macros it simplifies any repetitive work.

There is a new version out, 5.3 released in September that works with XHTML and CSS too. It is not a WYSIWYG editor, but it lets you preview while you build so you can see the results immediately. It produces valid, spiderfood code so that your pages look the same on all common browsers and it finds errors on your pages so they can be fixed. I've used it for about 10 years now. I don't suggest that it should be your only tool, but a very good part of your toolbox.

I think a rudimentary knowledge of html would serve you well from here on in. Did you know that your web browser will display an entire page of text without a single html tag? You can create a paragraph in notepad and save the file with an htm or html extension and voilà! Your first webpage. Now add html tags to enhance the text with bold, size, and color. Add a tag to include an image. Add a tag to include a link to another page. Before you know it you've got a website. If you plan to go anywhere with Internet marketing, some html knowledge will be invaluable.

X

Whoa, this is really easy to do. Actually, most decent word processors can take a document - with images and links, and output an html web page.

To get started with something better, look no further than your Mozilla browser's sister product, "Composer". Go here: http://www-archive.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    I think a rudimentary knowledge of html would serve you well from here on in. Did you know that your web browser will display an entire page of text without a single html tag? You can create a paragraph in notepad and save the file with an htm or html extension and voilà! Your first webpage. Now add html tags to enhance the text with bold, size, and color. Add a tag to include an image. Add a tag to include a link to another page. Before you know it you've got a website. If you plan to go anywhere with Internet marketing, some html knowledge will be invaluable.
    haha i just learned something!! thx

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    For anyone looking for page/sitebuilding tools, a free program (not a trial, the guy offers it free) is Arachnophilia and I wouldn't try to make sites and pages without it. You do need to know some basics, but it automates so much of what needs to be done. You can open a dozen pages that have a banner you want to replace and in about 5 seconds you can replace them all. Need to change "Summer Special Price" to "Fall Sale Price" on 2000 products? One simple operation because it uses Regular Expressions. Find & Replace can do half a page if you want, and with custom macros it simplifies any repetitive work.

There is a new version out, 5.3 released in September that works with XHTML and CSS too. It is not a WYSIWYG editor, but it lets you preview while you build so you can see the results immediately. It produces valid, spiderfood code so that your pages look the same on all common browsers and it finds errors on your pages so they can be fixed. I've used it for about 10 years now. I don't suggest that it should be your only tool, but a very good part of your toolbox.
    can it work with dreamweaver or any of the CS3 series?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    To get started with something better, look no further than your Mozilla browser's sister product, "Composer". Go here: http://www-archive.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Enjoy!
    Wow, that is still around? I used it years ago, but stopped when it butchered links That was in the EARLY days.... I need to go download it just to see how it has progressed
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hey guys and gals, you are all pretty awesome. I am actually going to check them all out. I will play with them. I thank you all.

p.s Julian, thanks. I thought that you thought I was trying to cut corners. :-) I'm not. However, I (like ANYONE) don't want to work harder than is required. LOL.

can it work with dreamweaver or any of the CS3 series?
    As a plugin? no. Arachnophilia works with the output of any program.
    The older 4.0 version has more features, the new version only wants to do XHTML. Using version 4 you can make your page in Wordpad or Notepad, and save it as an .rtf file. Open it in Arachnophilia and convert it to HTML. The reason I said you need to know some basics is that just about any editor has their quirks and if you don't know what the rules are you'll never see anything wrong. V.4 does not add closing tags to <li> so they need to be added for your pages to validate. v. 5.3 adds in the </li> closing tags but it is missing some of the find and replace functions from v.4.

Most WYSIWYG editors look great on your system but may look different on other screens and with different screen resolutions.

The easiest thing to do is to download a free web template that suites your needs ( a google search which lead to hundreds of them) and simply edit the simple information.

Learning HTML is highly recommended, though.

Why not look for a hosting provider who has page creation templates?

Dreamweaver is great, but if you want to get started quickly go to a site that does the work for you. Plug a template into Blogger, or what your hosting provider offers.

Of course, I also agree with CuGiNi, "Learning HTML is highly recommended." ...

Best,

Justin
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

I also use dreamweaver it has been a very good and easy program to learn. I highly reccomend this program.

As you are looking for one static page with no knowledge of HTML and no desire to buy a program like Dreamweaver or CoffeCup, you might try Google Sites. It is free, easy to navigate, requires no knowledge of HTML, gives you a variety of themes to choose from and did I mention it is FREE?
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread