Angry Google knocked me down a notch
    I've been dabbling in AM for a few years; I've set up about 15 sites and had two actually make a little money. The two "successful" sites were ranking very well for the products the were focused upon, but these were not very popular products. The sites were getting about 20 visitors a day, but converted well, so they each made about $150 a month in commissions.

However, a recent Google algorithm change has created a newfound dislike of my sites; they are comprehensive and useful but contain a lot of affiliate links. So my 20 visits a day is down to 2 or 3 and the the exciting little income stream has gone away. I am so busy at my day job that I just don't have time for anything but "fire and forget" sites. Don't get me wrong, I spend weeks on them and pack them with good information (product comparisons), but I'm feeling that the dream of escaping the day job in this manner is dying.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this with Google recently?

Thanks very much for any feedback

- Steve

If you check out the Google forum here you'll see it is quite common to get 'googleslapped'. Just click on the big A at the top of the page and then scroll down to that forum. Good luck- and welcome to ABW.

Been there a few times.. latest drop was in June after a terrific run.

It forced me to re-think my approach, and I've worked my a** off since then on a new strategy, style of pages, content, etc etc.

Happy to say it has started to pay off this month - while rankings haven't been restored to previous highs, the climb has started & conversions are on the rise.

Take an objective look at your pages, from a "bot" standpoint.. you need to set yourself apart. Google loves original content, that would be a good start. And start reading up on SEO techniques too, they will come in handy.

Have you checked out the sites who replaced you in ranking..? If they update more frequently, you may need to set aside some time for periodic refreshes.

If you were up before you were down, you have a shorter climb

has anyone used PPC with Google and seen it skyrocket to $6.00-$12.00 a click over night?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Google is cyclical. Your traffic might very well come back. Give it a month or two and you might find your good traffic returns.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've done my homework regarding SEO and the pages are very googlebot friendly and the content is all original, with the exception of some testimonials listed for each product.

Based on what I've heard here, I'll wait it out for a month or two and if nothing changes I'll make some changes. I'll also check out the Google forum.

Thanks

- Steve

Yeah, the last Google update was pretty brutal. Sites with lots of quality content which had taken me a year to get to a page rank of 4 were slapped down to page rank of 3 and 2. Yuck.

Also each site this happened on was only modestly filled with affiliate links. Had a lot of regular articles on many of the pages.

For the most part I was lucky because the traffic numbers didn't go down too much. But the page rank change is a concern. I wonder what they have up their sleeve with the next update?

Dan

A lot of sites lost page rank last time. Even top authority sites.

Unless you sell links based on page rank, I don't think it matters much.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread