Is this paid links?
    Just got an email from a merchant offering to pay $2 if you create a Squidoo lens that includes links/banners to the merchant.

Is this ethical?

hmmm, never had a merchant offer to pay ya to make a Squidoo. psssst who's the merchant?

Since you didn't say it, I'm assuming he didn't try to get ya to sign up under his referral for Squidoo?

Don't know how others would feel, but just a quick first thought, I'm not sure how that would really be much different from somebody offering to pay you to place their banner or link on your home page and they do that all the time. Will have to give that a bit more thought but would think it's ok. As to if it's ethical??

On a personal note as somebody who makes Squidoos, would rather have people make em cos they wanna make em for their own reasons. Not sure if you've ever made one or not?

As to bein ethical...I don't think it's bein ethical of the merchant if all they're doin is tryin to get somebody to just slap a banner or text link. That's definitely wrong cos they're encouraging people to go against what standards Squidoo wants. If you go to the trouble to actually make one tho it's definitely worth the $2 cos you're not gonna be able to just slap a banner or text link on it. Least don't think they'll let ya get away with that. Unless you put some effort into them tho they won't rank very well and won't get visitors anyway. Squidoos aren't really somethin you make in just 5 minutes, takes a while at least if ya wanna have one that's any good. A really long while for the really good ones.

So....if all the merchant is tryin to get ya to do is just put a banner and text link.....nope don't think that's ethical cos they're encouraging a person to go against what the intent of Squidoo is......but if he'll give ya the $2 to actually make a good one, he's gettin a bargain for your work and guess that would be ok since they pay ya to place things on your home page. Don't think there's anything unethical as long as they're tryin to encourage ya to make one that's more than just a few links. Good idea for them to encourage ya if that's what they're tryin to do.

I got the same email, They actually ask you to make a lens with original content. I dont have any problem with it since aff marketing is basically being paid to put up links anyway. If they were asking you to spam squidoo, would be different.

This probably adds more value to the web than another datafeed site full of dup content.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Just got an email from a merchant offering to pay $2 if you create a Squidoo lens that includes links/banners to the merchant.

Is this ethical?
    It's fine. It's really no different then what you see here a lot of times, merchants offering CABs/money to put up links. Put up a link, email the merchant the url where you have the link, they deposit some money into your account.

Hmmm, is it ethical- yes, is it a lot of work for only 2$ maybe.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FDC
    Hmmm, is it ethical- yes, is it a lot of work for only 2$ maybe.
    This. Ethically fine. But $2 for any kind of decent content is too cheap!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Yeah that's a cheap offer. I won't agree with that 2$ only.

If the Lens is done correctly there is no problem with taking money to create it. I just hope this merchant doesn't think that $2 buys very much when it comes to being featured on that Lens So if you are knowledgeable in the area covered and create one , why not look for a few other merchants that would be compatible to the subject matter?
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Its called outsourcing and perfectly ethical. I however would be more concerned about who this guy is and what his portfolio is like
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by smith41
    Yeah that's a cheap offer. I won't agree with that 2$ only.
    May be they are targeting recession strapped AFFs with $2 offer.
    Plus - if you put your aff links and make additional commissions on Squid content, it is not a bad idea to do it even without $2 offer!

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    May be they are targeting recession strapped AFFs with $2 offer.
    Plus - if you put your aff links and make additional commissions on Squid content, it is not a bad idea to do it even without $2 offer!
    Maybe your right on that. Thanks!

its just good advertising for you even without the offer

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread