I know this is a very personal question, but I've just started messing with this and maybe have put in 5 hours of work and have made over 2,000 in a month. Am I lucky, or what? If I continue to work at this harder can I expect to make this much or even more monthly on this alone? God knows I need to quit my job. I'm just asking the possibilities. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

You know the answer to your question. Excellent work I bet it feels great.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Lorreta,

Congrats and welcome to the forum. From what I have seen 2K your 1st month is VERY good. You are either very lucky or very good or have picked great merchants or a combo of the above. Keep up what you are doing, do more of it and continue to learn here on ABW. You are off to a really good start!

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

It does feel great, but it also feels unreal. I mean yea I think I know what i'm doing but I'm just curious if people make this kind of money consistantly. If so, then I'm all in.

If you're with cj.com, then wait until the day is over. It's our bloody monday.

Hey Loretta,

If your site traffic, number of sales, number of clicks relate to your earnings, you're off to a great start. If the commissions came from one or two big sales, then it's a different story.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    >>It does feel great, but it also feels unreal.

Yeah, but you'll get used to that "spending your video game score" feeling...

>>I mean yea I think I know what i'm doing but I'm just curious if people make this kind of money consistantly.

Yep!

>>If so, then I'm all in.

Welcome to the Arena!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If the commissions came from one or two big sales, then it's a different story.~SamBay <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that caveat.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loretta:
    ...5 hours of work and have made over 2,000 in a month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa! That's $400 an hour - almost as much as lawyers make!

As a few others have said, if it's just a few sales, it could quite possibly be just (amazingly) good luck. You'd have to have quite a bit of traffic to earn $2000 if the commissions were of a size typical for most products- $5-$15 max per sale.

If you already had a high traffic site and just started incorporating some affiliate products into it, then I would say you are on a sustainable path, and efforts to duplicate or expand on your existing ideas are well worththe time. If, as mentioned above, it's a new site with low traffic and few big sales, you might want to put that first 2 grand in the cookie jar as you might not have the same luck the following month.

Either way, commission-based sales are a great way to learn more about the web, experiment with marketing, and make money all at the same time.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loretta:
    I'm just asking the possibilities. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loretta,

I'm not about to quit my day job - I'd miss spending time with people. But as to your question about what is possible:

All my sites are content sites. I like them that way because they can be keyword rich for the search engines, tons of people link to them without my even asking them, and they don't require any maintenance after I have set them up. Some sites are simple HTML, some are databases programmed in ASP or PHP. All of them use an "include" of some sort for the space I have set aside for advertising / affiliate links, so that I can easily update them if an affiliate program changes, a better product comes along, etc. Content sites take a little longer to build, but once in place they require almost no maintenance.

My oldest site is about 2.5 years old, and finally broke through the $100 a month stage at the beginning of the 2nd year. I eventually found the perfect complementary product, and monthly commissions are now well over $1000 per month for that one site. I spend about 3 hours a month maintaining it.

Last fall I was looking for a product to purchase for myself, and found a number of the providers were offering affiliate programs. I did about 200 hours of research, wrote about 10 pages of training material and cajoled the top vendors into offering commissions using the commision structures of the 2nd tier as a point of leverage. This site is now a top resource in the industry, has tons of inbound links that I never had to ask for, and generates about $4000 in commissions per month. This site requires about 5 hours per month to stay on top of industry trends and another 5 hours per month in fine-tuning the pre-sell messages.

I have a few other sites that pull in about $100 a month for about 1 or 2 hours work per month. All in all I spend about 20 hours a month on web sites and just about match my day job salary. And every one of those hours is fun for me because it's research on topics I personally enjoy.

How to get there from here:
    Google the topics you have a real interest in and find the ones that don't have any/many affiliate-farm sites (i.e. sites that are just links to vendors) results in the google results. Repeat the search with the word "affiliate" or "associate", and when you find a topic with 2 or 3 affiliate-offering merchants and few affiliate-farm sites, you've found your little niche to mine. Invest the time to build expertise and put that expertise into writing some content-rich web pages, and in 3 or 4 months you should start seeing benefits. Better yet, in a year when some message boards, blogs, and related web sites have found you and linked to you, you'll have a steady source of income to fund your ongoing development of yet more sites.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Hi Loretta,

It definitely sounds like you got off to a good start. I suspect that the usual pattern (like mine) is a slow, slow start which picks up every time I learn something.. however, I've gotta agree with the other posts, the secret is to find the formula and the keep working it.

I guess I put in about 15-20 hours a week (on top of my day job), and let's just say I get more than beer money from it.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

thank you all for the honest responses. Yes they have been a few big sales, but that was the intent. I'm a web designer and the sites I'm using for affiliate purposes have been around a while and get pretty good traffic. I dabbled in the past and have made some money here and there, not much, but definetly more than the time i've put in. I really think I'm about to get serious on this and see what I can do.

Again I'm a web designer, so I've been thinking about starting my own company anyway. I have a special needs son at home and he could sure use me being there everyday. I could use it for piece of my mind as well so hopefully If I can see some consistancy in this for the next few months then my dream will come true. Any advice anyone is willing to share is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, and I'll be around reading and reading.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    OK, I am a beginner of 5 mo myself so take this for what it is worth. You really did get off to a good start! My first 3 mos produced "goose-eggs". Don't quit your day job yet though! Realize that this business is VERY volatile! A program that is producing great can END without a moments notice due to restructuring of the program, invasion of parasite merchants, sale of company, bankruptcy, sudden urge of the merchant to not pay you, etc. You won't even get a pink slip - your clue will be the sudden drop (or complete loss) of sales. The answer? You must diversify into a number of areas with different reliable programs. Also, to really quit your day job, you may wish to be pulling in $100K per year (8K per month) spread out over a wide variety of programs (i am thinking 8 or 10). You need 100k to live at the same level as a 70k job with health & retirement benefits. I am in the same quest as you - Good Luck!

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

Excellent, well affiliate industry is in infancy stage and it is just growing.
    The online sales on internet are on small scale, but its trend is toward increase. Everywhere you will find that it is increasing.
    So same way affiliate Publisher's earning will also increase in comming years.
    I think don't do any hurry, take your time, be here for at least 6 month, and check average and see if you get suitable earning which could be good alternate for your job than you can decide that.
    Website have their own trends, in beginning they show good results, but then there 50% of site go down and 50% chance site will be higer in traffice, but taking it higher in traffice is all in your hands.

Kamaluddin Panhwar
    Commission is good comming from only sales and will live long.

>> and have made over 2,000 in a month

Nice job!

>> If I continue to work at this harder can I expect to make this much or even more

The answer is YES, you can make a LOT more than 2K a month.

Good luck!

RxRevenue.com

Hi Loretta,
    Congratulations to an excellent start.

You can make more than 2K, especially if you promote more merchants like we have here in ABW that will support and reward you for your effort.

Just save for the rainy days, because you never know when we will get some heavy rains in this business.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread