Do you promote merchants that have a large variety of products and don't allow product linking?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm not sure whether a lot of mine allow it or not!

But there's plenty of places that have a lot of products where I just send everybody in through their front page and never even considered directly linking to the products. In exchange for the slight nick in CR, I don't have to worry about whether Product X is out of stock, had its URL changed, has a dead pic, or whatever else!

So I'd say go for it, especially if the merchant in question has easy nav or a search box where the customer can conceivably find the item they want with a minimum of hash.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

People often find my site searching for a particular product. Then I want to send them to the right page on the merchants site. Not have them lost and searching around. Seems it would be to the merchants advantage to enable advanced linking so we can set the landing URL. Such a disapointment when they don't do this. People get lost easy, get aggravated and leave if they have to search too hard.

ABW Ambassador
    Jane if they "leave because they had to search" there is a 99% chance that they were nothing more than merely curious anyway.

If they are interested enough to follow through with filling out a form with cc info, shipping info, etc., then they are interested enough to do a little searching and site navigation.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Have you ever watched computer illiterate people search the web. I do all the time. It is amazing how easy they get lost. How hard is it for the merchant to turn on the advanced linking and allow us to set the URL? Why would they choose not to do this?

quote:
    Originally posted by jane:
    Do you promote merchants that have a large variety of products and don't allow product linking?

Jane, I also believe in product linking in spite of it being a pain. I just wish there were more merchants like Warner Bros. who tell us what products are being dicontinued.

When a merchant does not offer product links but does allow redirects, I will use the capability ONLY if they offer a product that I NEED.

If the merchant offers only a few product links, even though their site offers many products, and does not allow redirects; I try to stay away from them. I just can't see why they would do this, and it makes me suspicious.

I rarely do product linking as I have no way of knowing if the products have changed or been deleted unless I check all my links regulary. I, instead, use the advanced linking feature and direct the customer directly to the merchant's page that has the products listed. This, alone, probably doubled my sales.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

The advanced linking feature is exactly what I am talking about. With this there is no need for the merchant to set up individual product links.
    Why do all merchants not enable this! Maybe they don't know about it? One enabled it after I requested it.

Product links are fine to work with if you have a website built with features to tell you when the product is out of stock. I setup my new website http://www.searchhotbuys.com/ with privacy email for customers to notify when product is out of stock. So far it works great. Finally I have a real website I can put up unlimited product links for electronics without rebuilding pages everyday because somethings out of stock. Lets hope we can get more merchants in CJ to provide product links but Im not holding my breath.
    David

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    Jane, I also believe in product linking in spite of it being a pain. I just wish there were more merchants like Warner Bros. who tell us what products are being dicontinued.

But have you seen what WB is doing with their links right now?

Dear WBShop.com Affiliates,
    We are moving WBShop.com to a new e-commerce platform on Monday November 25 at 11p.m. Eastern Time. We will take care of switching over all banner and text link urls on Monday in CJ and the changes will automatically take effect on your site. Unfortunately, Product Links are manual. We will be uploading an entire new product catalog on Monday and we''ll be deleting all old products from the system. Since Product Link changes aren''t updated dynamically in the CJ system, if you have WBShop.com Product Links on your site you will need to pull them ALL down on Monday night or first thing Tuesday morning and replace them with the new Product Links which will be live in CJ Monday after 6pm. Eastern Time.

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread