Question Non US Affiliates and Payment Currency???
    I am from Canada and with the networks that allow me to get paid in Canadian Funds I select that option. I am now thinking that I would put more $$$ in my pocket it I switch my payments to US Funds. It appears that the conversion rates by the major networks do not change as the difference between the US/Can dollar changes.

What do you think?

I actually have both CAD & USD bank accounts, and prefer to receive payment in USD. It hasn't been possible with all networks, but yes, you would be better off in original currency.

If you want direct deposit, LS won't accept a USD account if you are in Canada & belong to more than the US network (it defaults to CAD). CJ pays in CAD, GAN by USD chq

The networks don't use a better/worse exchange rate than any other payment system, but it's a variable I wish we could eliminate! Or at least have better control...

ABW Ambassador
    Hi kse,

I was wondering about this too. My last Shareasale check grew by about 10% due to the currency exchange. (Woo-hoo) My CJ checks are in C$ so my question is... is CJ making money on the exchange? What is their rate and how do they calculate it? I think I will go into CJ and try to sellect US$ for payment...

CD

ABW Ambassador
    Just tried to change my payment currency - it says I have to contact service. Sent a message off - I will not hold my breath...

Edit: I missed the Payment info box on the right side of the admin page (dam these wide screens) - there is a drop down select box with no option other than CAD...

is CJ making money on the exchange
    It's more likely their bank is making money on the exchange rate. CJ may profit slightly as well - but someone earns a few pennies on every fx transaction. This isn't unique to affilliate networks, PayPal is the same...

I've been quick to defend networks, not for any love (!) only because my previous career included FX analysis (as related to fixed income trading).

It's always preferable to get paid in original currency as you have better control over the rate. Perfect example is at the airport - it's always more expensive to convert currency there. Is it unfair..? No, just a business practice (meals cost more at the airport too!).

And when you convert your USD to CAD.. your own bank is take a few pennies too

Lastly, for my fellow Canadians, watch how you use that Canadian credit card for USD transactions - the banks don't just charge you the exchange rate - they ADD % usage fee for the currency conversion! That's a hidden gem I found out last year...

Thank you all for the reply, my concern is that with the big change in Canadian $ I do not see any changes at all (except new sales) at CJ. I have my Payout made high so I should see a change as the value of our dollar changes but I do not.

Also CanadianDave Can you let me know if they make the change for you, I just tried and could not make the change as well.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread