More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Which Web Design Products Do I Need?
    Currently, I have Dreamweaver CS4 and Paint Shop Pro XI, but am looking at Flash and Photoshop. The suite is $1800 but as few as 3 of any of the individual products exceeds that amount so I am seriously considering the suite.

Which of these Adobe Products, each available individually are a "Must Have"? Why?
    * InDesign CS4
    * Photoshop CS4 Extended
    * Illustrator CS4
    * Flash CS4 Professional
    * Dreamweaver CS4
    * Fireworks CS4
    * Acrobat 9 Pro
    * Adobe Bridge CS4
    * Adobe Device Central CS4
    * Version Cue CS4

Thanx in advance for your input!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You might be satisfied with Photoshop Elements, a scaled down (and much less expensive), version of Photoshop.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

I get by with Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Fireworks MX 2004. We have Paint Shop Pro but didn't even load it on this new computer. Really since getting phpDesigner 2008 we rarely open Dreamweaver.

In a former life I had access to all of the high end web development software. I still have some of it installed on one of my computers - but do not use any of what you have listed. I do 95% of my web development with Adobe GoLive (similar to Dreamweaver) and Photoshop Elements.

If you have a teacher or a college student in your family they can buy Adobe (and other) products at tremendous savings.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Will Fireworks create slide shows easily? I am picturing a home page with a slide show of products. I have used mootools to do this, but it is somewhat involved.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It all depends on where your skills are and what you want to do.

If you are a graphic artist and your sites are catered toward graphic artists, then yeah I would imagine Indesign or one of the top packages is a must have.

If you are a photographer then Photoshop.

I got CS3 last year and it comes with Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Bridge, etc. and that was the best investment I have made. My son went to a high tech summer camp and they gave him a discount coupon to purchase any Adobe prods so I jumped at the chance and got the package for $500. These I have at all times open: Photoshop and Dreamweaver on my desktop. As Bill mentioned, if you have a kid or yourself are taking classes and you can present proof, you get the discount.

With Adobe Photoshop you can create slideshows. If it's photo images you are planning to do a slideshow for, you definitely can benefit by tweaking the pics first to achieve the best picture quality: levels, saturation, brightness, curves, etc.

edit: you can try out the trial prods at Adobe and go to lynda (dot) com for some good video tutorials. The beginner videos are free but the more advanced are subscription based.

I use CS3, there is so musch to it that I'm still learning

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    if you want slide shows, there are a ton of examples here, http://www.ajaxrain.com/index.php, some use mootools, jquery and other ajax/javascript scripts. some are not too hard to implement.

I use dreamweaver cs3 and paint shop pro 9. PSP is the only thing keeping my windows box alive I moved to mac last year but have not found any graphics programs I like.

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    I use dreamweaver cs3 and paint shop pro 9. PSP is the only thing keeping my windows box alive I moved to mac last year but have not found any graphics programs I like.

Same exact situation here but with Linux. I need to learn how ti use the tools in Linux.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I don't think Adobe is making GoLive anymore since they bought Dreamweaver from Macromedia, but I could be wrong.

I'd say as long as you have Dreamweaver and some kind of graphics program you're fine. I had a trial of Paint Shop Pro once and if memory serves me, it worked pretty similarly to Photoshop - enough so that making graphics wasn't a hassle. But, as I can't entirely vouch for it, I'd recommend Photoshop personally.

The rest looks pretty non-essential if all you're doing is putting up a website.

I would go with DreamWeaver and Photoshop, two online design must haves no matter what you skill.

The two together can't be more than $1,000.

Quote Originally Posted by mrawesome
    I use CS3, there is so much to it that I'm still learning
    Me too! What's the difference between CS3 & CS4???

I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop & Illustrator -- I thought CS3 would be the latest for some time?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I thought CS3 would be the latest for some time?
    I did too. I'm still using CS2 though.

I think for your average user the differences are really minimal. It's just the hardcore graphic designers and photographers that might notice a difference. At least, that's what a graphic designer told me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop & Illustrator
    Another product I would recommend (I received it bundled with software when I joined 1&1) is Ulead's Photo Impact

http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htm

I have an earlier edition as I concentrate on Adobe software but there are still things I like to perform with Ulead's program
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    I think for your average user the differences are really minimal.
    I like buying web design magazines from England but I don't like it when their tutorials only focus on the latest Adobe versions!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

For a startup site, a lot of the image work can be done with Irfanview which is free to use but you should donate. It can build thumbnail galleries and slideshows, does a very good job at resizing, color adjustment and is better than many more expensive programs for preparing images to be web optimized. I have CS2 but usually grab Irfanview for a quick solution.

It doesn't make sense to bring a bulldozer where a trowel will do.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread