More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question WordPress SEO Methods?
    I have several blogs via WordPress. I am not clear on how to optimize SEO however. Here is what I do:

1. Create blog in subdirectory off main static site using WP download. That's easy enough.

2. Create categories in blog for each type of post.

3. Create links on the blog that point back to major pages of my main static site.

4. Create posts and tag in one or more of the categories I have created. Also, include relevant keywords for each post.

Now, my question is, should I link back to my blog posts, or the categories? One problem I have with the individual WP posts is that the individual post contains none of the categories, links, (or Adsense) down the side. So the post itself is a dead end page, unless someone thinks to click on the heading. Is there a plugin that puts all the links and categories on each individual WP post? That would be nice.

Also, I have installed the All in One SEO Plugin but am not quite sure how to input the Settings.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead

Now, my question is, should I link back to my blog posts, or the categories?
    I link to each individual blog posts. I don't link back to my categories directory because I have that noindex, follow since I do not want that same page to appear in Google more than once.

One problem I have with the individual WP posts is that the individual post contains none of the categories, links, (or Adsense) down the side.
    You can do that in your widgets. Design ---> Theme Editor ---> Widgets. Add whatever you want in your side bars, categories, links, etc. Some WP designs allow you to put Adsense in your posts and there may be a plugin for that, not sure. I just put it directly in my post wherever I want. It is javascript so I just view post in html mode and plop it in.

Also, I have installed the All in One SEO Plugin but am not quite sure how to input the Settings.
    I used (checked yes):
    * use categories for meta keywords
    * use no index for categories (see above reason)
    * use no index for archive ( see above)
    * use no index for tags (see above)
    * use auto generate descriptions ( you can overwrite that in each post)

One tip: your tags are very important, but it can get out of hand. I generally like to use the Simple Tags plugin to help me figure out what tags are being used on the net and to prelist the tags already used in my database so that I don't have too many variations and use the same one consistently.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Whenever possible (generally with new WP blogs you'll want to do this), you'll want to customize your permalink structure...to get your headlines, thus keywords you want to target, in the URL itself.

The reason I say usually with new blogs, is because if you change your permalink structure on established blogs, you'll have to go back and update all the internal links to articles on your blog you've posted. Plus it could break any inbound links you have already from around the web.

Here's the custom permalink structure I use with WP...

Click "Settings" (or "Options" in older WP versions), then click "Permalinks". Select the option for "Custom Structure", then add the following:

/%category%/%postname%/

This will structure your post URLs, or Permalinks, in the following way:

yourwordpresssite.com/category-name/subject-line-you-use/

Never hurts to get your KWs in your URLs

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    get the "all in one seo" plugin (I don't have the link handy) but it allows you to create custom keyword and description meta tags.

Thanks everyone. Very good suggestions!
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

For anybody else needing to add the sidebar to individual posts, see http://wordpress.org/support/topic/200005?replies=3 for instructions - it involves two modifications to the single.php file.

I pretty much do exactly like ladidah. In addition I hack my widgets to allow maximum use of nofollow.

Also, you;ll want to work with social media sites and technorati, that all helps in SEO in the long run.

Using RSS to get backlinks will also help.

1) URL method: WordPress comes with several built in search optimization tools, including the ability to use htaccess to create apparently static URLs called permalinks.
    2) Sitemap: Creating a Google sitemap for your blog is a easy process.
    3) WordPress 2 SEO Plugin - Plugin optimizes titles, meta tag information and RSS link feeds for auto discovery.
    4) Title Tags Change: Changing a postís title tag - For this tweak, youíll need to install "SEO Title Tag WordPress Plugin". SEO Title Tag lets you define custom page titles for your posts.
    5) Optimize images : Images can open up a whole new stream of search engine visitors for your blog. Iíve wallpaper sites where 80% of my traffic comes from Google image search, and on Blogging Bits, I am already getting quite a few hits from Google images.
    6) Optimize links : Links are one of the most important factors that determine your pageís value in a search engineís eye. Knowing how you should link to internal and external pages will improve your rankings a lot.

cristina12

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    Here's the custom permalink structure I use with WP...

Click "Settings" (or "Options" in older WP versions), then click "Permalinks". Select the option for "Custom Structure", then add the following:

/%category%/%postname%/

This will structure your post URLs, or Permalinks, in the following way:

yourwordpresssite.com/category-name/subject-line-you-use/

Never hurts to get your KWs in your URLs
    Gary, be careful with this method because it CAN bite you.

You only want to to this if you never list a post in multiple categories. If you select multiple categories you are creating duplicate content because multiple URLs represent the same content. That is an SEO no, no. URLs should be structured so that one an only one URL represents each page.

The best SEO plugin that I've seen for WordPress is All-In-One-SEO-Pack. It allows you to fully customize the HTML title tag and the meta tags, plus you can add the noindex robots meta tag to category and archive pages to prevent duplicate content problems.

Duplicate content issues are the most common penalties we see with web sites. These are the same issues that plague affiliate markeing sites and prevent them from ranking well.

You also want to be cautious about doing anything that changes the URL structure for an existing site. SEO modifications are best to do when you first set up a blog.

I also agree with ladidah. Link to individual blog posts. Ideally, links should be from industry related sites. It doesn't do much good to link to a sporting goods site from a ring tone site. Google prefers natural linking, which are the links that are embedded in text, such as those commonly found on many news sites. It also doesn't do much good to use sitewide links, such as those found in the footer on every page.
    Last edited by Tech Evangelist; January 12th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I used (checked yes):
    * use categories for meta keywords
    * use no index for categories (see above reason)
    * use no index for archive ( see above)
    * use no index for tags (see above)
    * use auto generate descriptions ( you can overwrite that in each post)

One tip: your tags are very important, but it can get out of hand. I generally like to use the Simple Tags plugin to help me figure out what tags are being used on the net and to prelist the tags already used in my database so that I don't have too many variations and use the same one consistently.[/QUOTE]

I realize this post is 4 years old but thank God for it - it was exactly what I needed today! Got to love that about this forum.

Question: You checked the no index of tags but in my past experience Google seems to pick up these tags pretty well and sometimes faster or more often than the post itself. You mentioned a simple tags plug-in...

If you have time and could expound on why you select the no follow for the tags (in not-so-techie terms) I would appreciate the further insight. Thanks
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts

Question: You checked the no index of tags but in my past experience Google seems to pick up these tags pretty well and sometimes faster or more often than the post itself. You mentioned a simple tags plug-in...

If you have time and could expound on why you select the no follow for the tags (in not-so-techie terms) I would appreciate the further insight. Thanks
    Because of duplicate content. When you click no index option for the tags it means when your blog has blog posts with a certain tags listed don't index those pages. (don't know if I am explaining it right)

Let's say you are writing a post about "Obama's 100th days in Office"
    You put it under e.g. category "obama"
    You put a tag e.g. "politics", "president"

Your blog post can be found in various ways on your site:
    * www.example.com/obama-100th-days-in-office/
    * www.example.com/tag/politics/
    * www.example.com/cat/obama/

Since it can be found in so many ways, it will be indexed in 3 different ways or more, so by using the SEO plugin you can tell it to not do this then it becomes:

* www.example.com/obama-100th-days-in-office/ (index this one)
    * www.example.com/tag/politics/ (don't index)
    * www.example.com/cat/obama/ (don't index)

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    Because of duplicate content. When you click no index option for the tags it means when your blog has blog posts with a certain tags listed don't index those pages. (don't know if I am explaining it right)

Let's say you are writing a post about "Obama's 100th days in Office"
    You put it under e.g. category "obama"
    You put a tag e.g. "politics", "president"

Your blog post can be found in various ways on your site:
    * www.example.com/obama-100th-days-in-office/
    * www.example.com/tag/politics/
    * www.example.com/cat/obama/

Since it can be found in so many ways, it will be indexed in 3 different ways or more, so by using the SEO plugin you can tell it to not do this then it becomes:

* www.example.com/obama-100th-days-in-office/ (index this one)
    * www.example.com/tag/politics/ (don't index)
    * www.example.com/cat/obama/ (don't index)

Thanks for following up on that. I will follow your lead and do the no follow. Appreciate the help.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread