How greedy can you be.....

I finally broke down and was going to register my last name for an email only domain. I did a whois search and saw all 3 names taken. I looked at the dates and decided to email the owner of ditty.org. Figred it would be a safe bet. The guy registered it 3 years ago and never put anything up on it. What do I have to lose? I emailed him and heard back right away. The price? Get this....... $800.

I replied back and thanked him for the good laugh and told him he was hallarious.

What is it with people charging outragous prices for domains they prob won't use and haven't done anything with in years? I have run into outragous offers like this before.

Thoughts?

Chris

----------------------------
    <FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

ABW Ambassador
    I hope you didn't really say it was "hallarious" - that'd be just plain embarassing!

I had a name for a site for over a year and never got around to building it. I finally got wise and sold it on ebay for $1200. The guy who bought it from me has done as much with the name as I did. Absolutely nothing! However, he did register it for 10 years, so in another 7 years, I'll be looking to getting it back.

Maybe he uses the domain for email only... And maybe he bought it for 100 years ahead, so that's why it's $800.
    And maybe he was gonna let it expire, but you gave him the idea it might be worth something!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >What is it with people charging outragous prices for domains they prob won't use and haven't done anything with in years?

Because, thankfully, there's no law against it.

Tell me where that seaside cottage you own is. I'll produce proof that you ONLY use it 2 weeks a year, and DEMAND I get it for whatever you paid for it 10 years ago, because I'll use it more than you have.

Sheesh.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

Get real. $800 for a .org parked someplace?

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed drewbert? I said nothing about how much I would have paid him for it, but there is no way in heck that ditty.org is worth $800.

SamyT, no one ever sade I cued spelle.

Chris

----------------------------
    <FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

I wanted cleverbabies.com for the longest time... then I emailed and they said 5,000... yep five THOUSAND.. I also thanked them for the good laugh. And guess what? I picked it up fo $15 when they let it expire this year. HA HA HA HA! She who laughs loudest... laughs last.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    $800 would not be so bad if it was the .com name.

Can't help but wonder what a more common name like White or Johnson might go for

------------------------------
    "Beware the man who preaches respect for you but does not demonstrate it. Ask him to show his face before you bare your back to his blade." ~ George Hayduke

ABW Ambassador
    Couldn't help but take a look....

Bombardier doesn't need any money.

Whatever they up to at white.com, watch out it may give you seizures.

"Beware the man who preaches respect for you but does not demonstrate it. Ask him to show his face before you bare your back to his blade." ~ George Hayduke

Domains were once purchased as investments. Think em up, make your purchase and hope you have a winner.

Like any investment, you want to buy low and sell high.

Before the dot-com-bust, the domain "business.com" was sold for something like 8 million dollars.

The market kind of came and went a few years ago. But, those who invested in domains are not likely to part with them without some pretty good motivation.

After all, they could decide to use them to get into the affiliate business.

I like traffic lights
    >You wake up on the wrong side of the bed
    >drewbert?

No, but I get sick of whiners that think they can make bette use of a domain name but don't want to pay the asking price. If you can't bear paying $800 for a name, go find a different one.

>I said nothing about how much I would have
    >paid him for it, but there is no way in
    >heck that ditty.org is worth $800.

Might be. Depends how many ditty's there are out there, and how badly at least two of them want to be the owner of ditty.org.

I'd pay $800 in a heartbeat for the .org version of my last name.

ABW Ambassador
    I have never sold a domain, but I figure I wouldn't want to hassle with a registrar for less than $100.00. As for the exact selling price...I really would take into consideration the speculative value of the trade.

BTW: Domain name speculation is really a weird game, people might buy a thousand names at $10.00, they would break even selling 10 names for a $1000.00. I suspect, however, with the big dot com dip...most the speculators went down with their ship.com.

sound thinking

Dictionary words are still pretty rare in any major extension.. I own just one.

Best thing to do is to put a reservation on in,

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

when I finally decided to work away from the host.com/homepages/me/ situation and go get a real domain I found I couldn't remember the names of the sites that were directly competing with me in case they had bombed and I could move in. I was lucky, got an 11-letter domain that fit fairly well.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

I'm with cditty on this issue, I'm sick of people squatting on domain names just to over charge people. It’s not an investment unless you build something on it.

Its good to know people are now winning law suits against squatting, and I hope more win to prevent squatting.

Heck when I wanted to start a new site I had to buy 15 names just incase some JERK would want to squat on the rest of my selections. Being forced to buy and maintain that many domains is crazy, and it was only purchased to ensure no one else would get the domains.

Almost 5 years ago I registered a domain name using my husbands first name and the first 3 letters of my name (This was a personal site). About a year ago I get an email from some loon saying I STOLE his domain name and he demanded I give it up.

Now I only registered the .com so I replied, telling him he was more than welcome to register the .net, .org or .FU for all I cared, but I in no way stole his name 4 years ago and I was not giving it up. There were no companies with our domain name, so I knew it wouldn't be a problem when I registered it.

Turns out, this guy, had a geocities page and his first initial, middle initial and last name would make up our domain name. He finally apologized for over reacting.

I should have offered to sell it to him for $800

Just Lurking
    There's squatting then there's Squatting. One of my customers asked me to look into buying a his nickname from a major Corperation. They weren't using it. $20,000 minimum the lawyer said. Guess they trademarked it, copyright it, and made it into legal nightmare which keeps the lawyers on retainer. I hope they forget to renew! I'm just waiting to punce on it.

I went looking for a shop domain recently and I think almost 95% of the domains I looked at were squatters! That's nuts. Heck I can change the name of my site for nothing. Ain't paying more than $8 for a domain--ANY DOMAIN!

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

Affiliate Manager
    Not that I am an attorney or anything but I don't think that buying a generic domain and sitting on it is cybersquatting. Buying domains is similar to buying real estate. You either build on it or don't build on it and let it sit around until you get a good offer for it.

But if you register a domain with the intentions of selling it to its rightful owner then yes that would be cybersquatting. One good example I seen was two Gas & Oil companies that had a merger (can't remember the darn names). A person that seen the merger plans on the news then went and registered the domain "Company1-Company2.com" and just about any other domain related to the two companies.

He did this with the intentions of selling them all back the merging companies and becoming a very wealthy man...well the courts took care of that.

But yes, I do understand the frustration. I have come up with many ideas for a site, thought up a great domain name for it and then only to find out it was already taken by someone that has it parked.

I had a pretty popular free site domain years back. I was getting alot of phone calls everyday because people actually thought I was the .net version. I never used the domain and got fed up with the calls so I just let it go. The day it expired I got an email from the new owner asking me if I wanted to buy it back from him. I just laughed and told him that he could have it.

Maybe I should have hung onto it and sold it for a few G's

I have my last name registered and use it only for email. There is no site up for it.

Three years ago I sold two domain names, one for $450 and another for $75....this year they both expired and I bought them again. Hey, they were good the first time around...maybe again.

I have about 20 domains that are currently not in use. One day I hope to use them. If not, I'll sell them.

Oh, duh, does that make me one of the greedy people?

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Check this one out:

http://microsod.com

Waaaaaaaay out of control.

I don't see a danged thing wrong with buying names in the hope of selling them for a king's ransom though, so long as it's not done in such a manner as to extort money out of a business concern by beating them to their own company or product names.

I like traffic lights
    >and it was only purchased to ensure no one
    >else would get the domains

Isn't this, by your own definition, squatting?

This is my run in with this type of scum Bear in mind the reason I did not register was because of the @home.com shut down at the same time as I moved from British Columbia to Alberta, this caused me to lose all my emails that would have warned me of the upcoming renewal date.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Dear sir
    I have just realised you are the new owner of my expired domain name abacuswebhosting.com. I was wondering if you would possibly sell it back to me? Please read the emails I have sent trying to sort the name out and let me know if you will sell it back

Thanks in advance
    Gordon Skevy

Mr Skevy

Right now this name is earning $7.24 a day on average. I have advanced a developer $900 to develop the domain for me. It will cost you approximately $2000 to file a claim plus attorneys fees. I will meet you part way and sell the domain for $1500.00 to cover my expenses and a part of the minimum revenue expected.

James Mahony
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: winfreecash@yahoo.com
    Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 5:01 PM
    Subject: Re: abacuswebhosting.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

I like traffic lights
    Gordon,

For years now, you have been able to register a name for 10 years.

Why risk a problem (due to an ISP dying) by skimping on registration length?

At the time Drewbert I was not making much money at all, also bear in mind we moved to Alberta because of the shortage of work in BC, I had been out of work for quite a while.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    >and it was only purchased to ensure no one
    >else would get the domains

Isn't this, by your own definition, squatting?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No squatting,

I bought them so I can build them later. I would have preferred to buy them, as I am ready to develop them. But people are vultures with this squatting nonsense.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread