Working, working, working. Still building, maybe I should have waited before hosting my pages When you built your first site, how long did it take you? Seems like it takes forever, but I always manage to learn something new in my two hour after work page building sesh's. Not even half way through my "ideal" GUI, then I get to start optimizing pages for SEO's! Should have started two months ago for the holiday seasons, ha! Does it take everyone this long building their initial site? Hoping for some encouragement, and strength to keep working . . .

-gray day
    "Cookies? Cookies? We don't need no stinkin cookies!" - Parasite X
    Don't let'em take ya'

yeah, first sites take a long time, but most of your time is learning stuff so it's all worthwhile...

I'm still working on my first affiliate site. Started three years ago.

It is an ongoing process, always needing refinement. I expect it will never be really done.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

I do things very quickly and then refine them for months later.

I've been working on my first site for over a year. As Ron - 7 Days says it's an ongoing process. Wait till you have a hundred or so pages and decide to redo everything. I've done that about 3 times now. That's a lot of fun let tell you.

Good Luck,

Ron

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

First site was a labour of love and not an affiliate site at all. I was confused when I saw my referral logs and the odd things people where looking for when they came to my hobby site. Only knowing a bit about html from what I had learned by trial and error on that hobby site, I quickly learned about webpositiongold, wordtracker, and more recently webmerge.

From my first effort on the web to quiting my day job was 3 years.

The first year of that was tinkering with the hobby site. I look back on those tinkering days and realize I did a lot of work then that really helped me later. Like building a big reciprocal link base that I had no idea would be so valuable later on. Now that hobby site has a huge PR that I very strategically use to my benefit.

ABW Ambassador
    My first site is always going to be my main site. I now have 4 sites, but my 1st site is the one I work on the most.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    My first site went up amazingly quick, with the help of Netobjects Fusion. Decided I wanted a fiction site, put out a call for authors, offering a few bucks for articles, stories or poems, and had 70 niche related submissions within two weeks. At that point I started wondering, how in the heck am I going to pay these authors??! And I stumbled across CJ. That site never was too profitable, but indirectly, it helps me with free traffic and ranking for my other 25 sites. I really, really, need to update it and add adsense.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    My first site was built with Notepad in 1998. I still have that website. It has a special meaning....

My main site took 3 days to build. Few odd sales the first month. After the first year it supplied me with beer money. The second year brought home the groceries and the beer. Three years later with 439 pages it pays all the bills, two week vacation in Mexico and still building pages. It never ends.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

I am still building that site

I only tried building a couple pages in the past as hobbies. Dedicated to games like Ultima Online and Everquest (I got trapped in those for years!)

I thought I needed to make money with all the time I spend on the internet and started researching ways around the start of September. Ebay, Yahoo Stores, etc etc and then started to run across internet marketing material and some mentions of making up to 50% comissions on digital goods.

Research affiliate comissions stuff, toss out ideas of auctions and yahoo stores

I then realize I didn't remember anything about building a site.. my last attempts used frames and were hosted on geocities or angelfire.

Spent the last week of Sept. cramming in html and css stuff. Spent about 10 days building my first content site for adsense and maybe affiliate links later on. (I'm a computer nerd so I wrote about what I know or can research and understand quickly)

Launched on Oct 10th.. and started playing the waiting game. On around 15th of october I decided to start another site.. this time with all the CSS stuff I learned(tables can be evil).

This one is an on going project I hope to learn alot with.

I've already launched my 2nd site as "complete" but can be added to any time.

Hardest part of all this I would say is getting/waiting for the traffic

ABW Ambassador
    My first website was "Because I can" and chock full of stupid things about me. No money to be made, but it was fun, nevertheless.

My first affiliate effort had its first sale in June '02. It's been snowballing ever since.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

ABW Ambassador
    I started my first site back in April 2002 - wow, that's 18 months I've been doing this. The site now exceeds 3400 pages (non-dynamic, too) and I'm still nowhere near completing it. Actually think the site will sort of be a "life long" commitment in some ways. The content constantly can be added onto - both product wise and pure content wise - and I enjoy doing it.

But its worth it. The site pulls in more then I made at my old job - so can't complain too much. That said, a site like my first site is not for someone who doesn't enjoy writing!

Jim

this is a great thread! is a site ever done lol. i started with a website for my friends country and western bar. just messing around learning html as i went along. first it was a one table page and it endend up becoming a 22 page site with all kinds of info on the place and then it dawned on me that i can make money selling cowboy boots on it. that lit off the fire i no have 5 sites that are and always will be "in progress"

------------------------------
    parasites = no money
    no parasites = money
    money is the choice im making i will see you there!!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread