Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; October 24th, 2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: better link
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What a great idea! I wish >koff< SAS had something like that. >koff<

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    What a great idea! I wish >koff< SAS had something like that. >koff<
    It is a good one. Competition drives innovation.

"koff" is a Finnish (attaching image). A good one too.

Geno
    Attached Images Attached Images

ABW Ambassador
    Cool, I could use this.

But I will check to see to make sure all the merchants involved with that actually commission gift card sales. It's an issue I've had with Linkshare with allowing merchants to have up links/promotions to items we don't get paid on. Example, all the GSI managed merchants where they don't pay on gift cards.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Nice feature. Works well for the aff

ABW Ambassador
    Excellent observation, Trust. I hope we can get some clarification from Linkshare on this.

I understand the commission/no commission issue when it comes to regular products, but in this scenario when you are presenting a directory of sorts to the customer, I don't believe it hurts to have the full list even if there are a few that don't commission on GCs. Not the ultimate scenario for us as affiliates, but in providing the service to the customers we just might need to have an non-commissionable item on a list every once in a while. It is about providing the best experience possible to the customer, not making money on every link on your site. Did I just say that? Someone slap me.

-sfcom

Wow..this is great. I could definitely use it on my website and promote.

I like it. Great idea!

Great feature! Nice to see something from a network that is innovative and provides value to consumers, affiliates, and merchants.

I agree with sfcom, but I think it would be best if there were an option to include or exclude non-commissioned gift certificates.

It might also be nice if they gave an option to only include merchants that you're joined with (and/or provided links to join the others).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Eh, after taking a look at it, not going to use it. Probably good for others.

First, I don't know even how to get to it from inside LS, unless there is a link I'm missing.

Some merchants I can't get into the program like Dillard's. Wanted to add this in. Dillard's who are very selective. I can't get in, I could be sending them traffic for free thru LS OR I can actually get paid for sending them gift card traffic - http://www.giftcertificates.com/shop...umber=10000190

Or like the one below, Zales that pays $0, I can get paid here - http://www.giftcertificates.com/shop...tem_number=334

Think I'll go that route.

Others don't pay on gift card purchases, just a few:

Petsmart
    0.00% commission on selected goods - gift cards

Lucky Brand Jeans

Zales

Plus I want something customizable where I can pick the dimensions, so it'll fit on my pages and pick the exact merchants I want.

I already have a section on my site for this kind of thing that I do on my own and will continue.

As far as the innovative/great features comments. It's just gift card text links basically on a page with a holiday gif. You can make your own in a few minutes. Grab some free clipart or get fancy with it and customize to your heart's intent.

Again not for me but could see this might be good for others.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    It is about providing the best experience possible to the customer, not making money on every link on your site. Did I just say that? Someone slap me.
    *SLAPS HARD*
    *Makes you a mug of coffee with 1,000 grams of caffeine*

If it doesn't make you money, it's not a customer.

Therefore, people who want to shop at merchants who don't pay commissions can go ahead and find some other way to get there--all you'll lose is...NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I could be sending them traffic for free thru LS OR I can actually get paid for sending them gift card traffic (link)
    That's more like it. No tickee no washee!

Agreed that they should only be listing merchants that pay commission on gc's. But I'm guessing this is as much for ls showing the merchants they are promoting them as it is to help the affs.

It is a timely post though as last night I went searching for gift cards. I recall Performics creatig a page of merchants that pay on gift cards last year. It doesn't look like it has been updated, at this point but hopefully they get to that soon.

I guess I'll add this to my list of complaints about things that need standardized in the industry. Somewhere in the merchants profile they should all list if they sell gift cards and if they pay a commission on them.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It sounded good at first, but after reading the critical comments and doing some exploring, this is what I think:

This is something I absolutely WILL NOT use.

First and foremost is the fact that so many of the merchants do not pay on GCs. Next, if you leave the code as is, and have unjoined merchants listed, any click will go to an error page.

If you click the first link Haiko provided, and then click on the "For info on creating a Gift Card Storefront, click here." link, you get a set of instructions, that includes the following (plus a lot of info on customizing the page):

"Here, you need to check two things. First, make sure that you are partnered with the advertisers listed. Delete the links for any advertisers you are not partnered with. (The deletion below is shown for illustration purposes only.) Please do this for each category. Note: If you fail to delete the link of an advertiser that you are not partnered with, visitors to your site clicking this link will receive an error message for bad site code."

This page also has a long, tedious path to getting the actual code, and once you get there (I gave up before getting that far), it seems like you can just pick the merchants you want, and use their GC code however you want on your own pages.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    This is something I absolutely WILL NOT use.

First and foremost is the fact that so many of the merchants do not pay on GCs. Next, if you leave the code as is, and have unjoined merchants listed, any click will go to an error page.
    I won't be using it either for the reasons AffiliateHound cites.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Here's an idea:

Go to the new ProductLinkfinder search box in the new interface (discussed here) and search for "Gift Card", and get Gift Card links for your joined merchants.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Looks like a good idea. I'll make my own with merchant I know and trust to pay me. This way I can include merchants from all networks as well as independents.
    ~Ernie

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread