What Does This Pest Want?

Hollywood Interactive, Inc. HOLLYWOOD-INTERACTIVE (NET-64-27-0-0-1)
    64.27.0.0 - 64.27.31.255
    I have been getting many hits per day on my sites with wordpress blogs from 64.27.0.61. It only hits the blogs and not the rest of the site. I blocked it by IP and it just keeps on coming for it's 403.

Blessed are those that don't enjoy looking at raw server logs.

ABW Ambassador
    From checking out some threads, some people think they're looking for email addys for spam lists. Don't know if they're right or not.

Hollywood Interactive
    Found this on the Damn Spam weblog...

We had similar issues and ended up filtering them at our datacenter. Seems like we wern't alone then and now your getting it too.

This probably isn't really spam-related, but they're annoying nonetheless.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed requests from quite a few IP addresses, all belonging to some company named Hollywood Interactive, Inc., that had all been blocked by Bad Behavior.

From the whois information, this looks like it could be a hosting service or ISP, but I couldn't find their homepage and they don't list any email addresses either. They use the nameservers from calpop.com (and their website offers dedicated servers). So this is either some reseller or something different altogether. In fact, I found a few posts that connect this company with P2P and torrent sites. I don't know anything about that stuff but I got the impression that they're serving ads and/or possibly acting as a front for the movie industry.

In any case, I don't see any reason why they should be spidering our sites so I decided to block their IP address range: 64.27.0.0 - 64.27.31.255 (or 64.27.0.0/19).

Scott

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread