Hey Everyone,

Ugh ... what a messed up week or two I have had. About two weeks I noticed some of my sites were seeing a huge, and I mean huge dive in traffic? It just did not make any sense too me? Then several days later another site would take the traffic dive... I was starting to freak out!

At that point I put on my "orange emergancy hat" and declared my office a disaster zone complete with yellow tape running across the door.

After about two days of research on various forums I found that I was a part of an unlucky group of webmasters that did nothing wrong but to simply have there sites hosted on a certain "godaddy" ip address .... pooof .... your out of google just like that.

I must have had more than 3,000 pages drop out of the index, can you believe that

My daily traffic for all my sites is around 10 thousand uniques daily .. I dropped off to about 4,500 daily ... worst part about that is the traffic was mostly for my chef site that does not generate much income ;-(

About 10 days ago I got set up with my own dedicated server with dell and started to move some of my sites over to the new server. I am happy to report that as soon as I made the change I noticed fresh tags on the homepage of all the changed sites.

From what I can see I will be fine, just kinda too bad that I am going to loose about 4 to 6 weeks of income. That being said I think anyone that is making serious money on the web expects these types of things to happen and I did. Just seams impossible to run dozens of sites, market many different programs and not run into a bump in the road.

Funny thing was once I found the problem I was really very calm. I knew I could get back in with some changes.

If you have seen the googlebot please send him this way ;-)

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    Learn About Lifetime Commissions @ Myrxforless

Can you elaborate on this? I also use godaddy.

Sure,

I would first start by looking at your traffic reports over the last month. Check your site by using a "allinurl" search on google:

simply add your domain to the end of this string and search google:

allinurl:www.yourdomainhere.com

If your listings look messed up... ie no keywords in title and no description your in trouble.

This thread will help as well:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/18154.htm

Good luck,

Brian Johnson
    (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to hear that Brian. We have had some problems with our servers as of late too. One company was attacked with a virus because of an anti terrorism page. I think the sites were down twice in a week for a full day and we couldn't do anything about it. Then, we got new ip addresses since they switched us to a different server and that screwed us up with google. Fortunately, we weren't as unlucky as you in losing 4-6 weeks income, but it does suck. Hence, one of the reasons we don't put all our eggs in one basket and do this as a full-time job. Besides, all the years of college and grad school would be wasted.

In any case, we now have about 4 or 5 different sites and my husband has learned over time, not to put all of them with the same hosting company to avoid the problem you had. Therefore, when the site was down a couple of weeks ago, it was only one site not all of them. Something to ponder.

Hopefully you'll make have a nice rebound with the holidays coming up.

Robin

Hey Robin,

Yep ... mulitiple sites (I have too many to count) and also used to use different companies to host my sites as well ...

This put my sites on different ip address and all.

Just turned out that too many were with godaddy....

Anyway, I still have income coming in ... hack I will make twice as much as I did in a month as a chef with my worst month ever!

LOL

Just hate to loose "any" sales at all.

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find

ABW Ambassador
    "Just hate to loose "any" sales at all." -yeah I know what you mean. It just kills ya not knowing how much you lost and that you can't do anything about it.

Glad to hear you're up and running again. That's great that you're doubling your chef income, but do you miss being a chef? I know it is hard to make a good living doing that, but I was just wondering.

I miss working with other adults, but for now it wouldn't make sense for me to go back to work..childcare would cost almost as much as I'd make, plus I like being around to volunteer at my son's school, etc.

Robin

Hey Robin,

Well I still get to cook from time to time ;-)

You should see my backyard patio ... just put 20k into a new backyard and bbq grill area last spring

-thanks affiliate marketing!

I guess I enjoy this more... it feel like my business. Ooooo wait ... it is!

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find

ABW Ambassador
    Brian,

I'll remember who to look up for some bbq if we're ever in MN.

Seriously though, that is great that you were able to quite your regular job to do this full time. And I guess, as a chef you can do it forever. That is one thing I wish I were good at..cooking..but with the hectic life we have..I'm too tired at the end of the day to do anything but order out.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread