Wordpress easiest software ever?
    Has anybody noticed that Wordpress is one of the easiest software packakes to maintain? Their upgrade system for the base product and plugins is amazing. No longer do we have to download zips, make backups, etc. It is all automatic (via the admin) inside the product.

If you are ever considering blogging you will not be disappointed. This product seriously rocks.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

True
    BTW New version 2.6.3 out yesterday.

Yep... had the autoupgrade waiting for me when I logged in. Took about a minute to upgrade - with the backups they give you . Then I had a few plugins to autoupgrade. Another 30 seconds and now I am all current.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

FYI -- According to the wordpress.org site (and I forget WHERE on the site?), the 2.6.3 only upgrades two files. They have links to those files and explain that if you overwrite those two files from 2.6.3 into your current 2.6.2 install, that's all you need to do.

On a related note -- I've heard that 2.7 will be coming out in the next few months. Anyone heard anything definite on the 2.7 release?
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks writerguy. With the built in autoupdater the software internally connects over to wordpress.org, gets the updates and posts them to my site. I no longer have to know (or care) about which files are updated. Even though I am a techy at heart I sure could get used to doing business this way.
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick
    Thanks writerguy. With the built in autoupdater the software internally connects over to wordpress.org, gets the updates and posts them to my site. I no longer have to know (or care) about which files are updated. Even though I am a techy at heart I sure could get used to doing business this way.
    Are you talking about that wp-autoupdate plugin, or the "Update Now" link in the WP dashboard? Or is there a difference?

I quit doing the auto updating using the specific plugin because I found such updates made it so that I couldn't get the auto update function for individual plugins working if the WP install itself had been auto updated. (Hope that's not as confusing as it seemed when I wrote it. )

I have found that manually installing and manually updating WP itself on my servers (I use a VPS account) preserves the one-click auto update function for individual plugins. So I've been doing manual updates and installs of WP itself.
    Generate more fake news.

The autoupdateplugin. I've never had a problem. All of the plugin auto updates work also. Did you do an original raw install or one from cpanel? I've heard the cpanel one does not work well with the autoupdate plugin.
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I quit doing the auto updating using the specific plugin because I found such updates made it so that I couldn't get the auto update function for individual plugins working if the WP install itself had been auto updated.
    I used WordPress Automatic Upgrade plugin for 2.6.2 a couple of days ago and was able to auto update 3 plugins right after that. Maybe just lucky.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread