Is this type of content the best way to advertise?
    I saw a few catchy messages just like this one and am wondering if it is the new wave in marketing basically "Website marketing is nothing but creating something delightful simple and appealing." - even if irrelevant.

See my example:
    I guess as it's free the technique is worth a shot.

Agreed or is this bogus?
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; October 26th, 2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: easy with the link drops

Apologies for the use of the link as an example, but since the link example was deleted, I will elaborate more, it is basically the idea that any beautiful picture or profound saying even if unrelated to the product will gain enough attention to be good marketing

ABW Ambassador
    nope

I checked that page out, it was just a picture of a flower. That does nothing.

That's like using sex to sell chewing gum. The technique is as old as the hills. It doesn't necessarily work in Internet marketing though. Enticing buyers with contextually appropriate content to buy an associated product is what sells. This produces targeted high quality traffic.

[Edit to add]Since I didn't see the original reference, this is only speculation as to what you were talking about...

X

so that this thread is productive, what would you suggest instead?

btw another good example of the concept i am describing is the now famous picture of a sumo wrestler slam-dunking a basketball -- it is just eye-catching regardless of your product

ABW Ambassador
    Instead of irrevelent, try relevant.

"famous picture of a sumo wrestler slam-dunking a basketball"

Ok, so I look at a picture of some sumo slamming and....

Are you meaning find something very viral like a picture, video etc, get lots of traffic and even tho the pages might not be totally relevent, you're still getting loads of traffic and some of that might buy something. Yes, possibly but I would try to get relevant links around it. With just about any kind of traffic, you can find something relevant.

Not unless you already have traffic to see it, and they become overwhelmed with desire and click through to buy whatever's connected to the pic.
    Images can help you gain traffic and keep visitors engaged on or returning to your site, but you need to be able to segue them into the area where your links are and convince them to click through and buy.
    I can't see unrelated images working toward that goal, but nothing is impossible.
    You could always try it out as an A/B test and see where your results are better.

It is still possible to entice one person with one picture or text and lead them to buy something else. It works very well in some areas, just depends on what you are marketing. So don't completely discount the technique.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread