Using keywords in subdomain
    Hi,

I have to say the standard of answers on this forum is very high and educative.

My question, which I have researched to no avail on other SEO forums, is about domain names and keywords within them. I believe having your keyword in the domain is good for SEO and also helps people searching relate to the content of your site.

I have a site with keywords I like, however, I would like to include some extra important keywords in the domain name (without buying another domain name). I know I could use the sub directories, but I would like to save that option and use the sub domain, especially as Google have recently reviewed there policy on sub domains.

So, If I had a site www.gold-jewelery.com and wanted to include the word necklace to have the keyword in that domain, would choosing my sub domain like this - www.necklace.gold-jewelery.com be useful to me as far as SEO goes?

I know the sub domain would be treated as a different site by Google but I donīt mind. I want to use the domain I have and also use the sub domain to slot in a few extra keywords.

Hope that makes sense.

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps you would be better off thinking of how to build a site with your visitors in mind, and not what you think the search engines will 'think' of your site.

for your example, necklace[ . ]gold[ - ]jewelry[ . ]com

just looks like you are trying to get away with keyword stuffing

Hmm... maybe my example wasnīt so good. The keywords I want to use are all related to the site and describe it well. I wouldnīt have thought using 3 keywords like necklaces - gold - jewelery would have been considered keyword stuffing, especially in a url?

If I had a site url that was www dot relationship - dating dot com and also wanted to have the keyword - love- in the url would be a better example. Could I put the keyword - love - as a sub domain?

thanks

My gut feeling is that you could be diluting the strength of the primary domain..

I tend to use sub-domains carefully, and only when creating a completely new site (eg. I have a Joomla site off my primary domain, but the content puts a different spin on the same topic).

Not sure why, but I tend to associate too many sub-domains with spammy-type sites.

Again, just a feeling, but a clear concise domain with more content may serve you better in the long run (rather than more sub-domains with less content).

Hi Teezone, Google have changed their stand on sub domains, which I think is in line with your thinking, that they are now only going to list 2 domains, including sub domains of any website (I believe that is what they are saying anyway).

However, the site I am talking about isnīt really a sub domain of an already functioning site and I donīt think i will develop the TLD at all really. In fact, I just want to concentrate on the one sub domain if I can use it with the keywords I would like.

The reason is there arenīt many good options of domain names using the keywords I would like to use, but if I use the sub domain I can then get some extra words in there.

Hey, on another note, I love Joomla and it is all I really work with. It would be great to speak to you a bit more about how you are finding using it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver007
    Hi,

I have to say the standard of answers on this forum is very high and educative.

My question, which I have researched to no avail on other SEO forums, is about domain names and keywords within them. I believe having your keyword in the domain is good for SEO and also helps people searching relate to the content of your site.

I have a site with keywords I like, however, I would like to include some extra important keywords in the domain name (without buying another domain name). I know I could use the sub directories, but I would like to save that option and use the sub domain, especially as Google have recently reviewed there policy on sub domains.

So, If I had a site www.gold-jewelery.com and wanted to include the word necklace to have the keyword in that domain, would choosing my sub domain like this - www.necklace.gold-jewelery.com be useful to me as far as SEO goes?

I know the sub domain would be treated as a different site by Google but I donīt mind. I want to use the domain I have and also use the sub domain to slot in a few extra keywords.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Dude!

You have just answered a question that has been in my head for some time: Is a site that is on a sub domain (blog, squidoo lens, ect.) treated as a seperate page of the main domain or as a site of its own? More specifically, would "outbound links" be only the links on my sub domain or would they include the links on all the other sub domains (since they are parts of the main domain)? I know, its kind of a dumb question, but it has been bugging me. From your post I guess only the links on my sub domin count.

Anyway, THANKS-A-LOT MAN!

BTW, Instead of putting kewords in your url, try getting links to your site with your desired keywords as the anchor text.

Hi nobugs,

Glad I could could inadvertently help A sub domain is classed as a seperate site. However, linking to it from your main domain builds its search ranking up quickly and then the more focused info helps you get a better Ranking.

BTW, Instead of putting kewords in your url, try getting links to your site with your desired keywords as the anchor text.
    That is good SEO but not really relevant to my question about keywords in the sub domain.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

My experience is that setting up well defined and targeted sub domains can help to a reasonable extent. A case in point is Lind Bs 5 Star site where she has the sub domain set up to catch target key phrases that are relevant to her content, for example

affiliate-marketing-forums.domain.com
    affiliate-blogs.domain.com

I remember when I was working on Mondera there was a jewelry site that must have had hundreds of sub domains set up and they ranked very well on the search engines, (though I can't find hide nor hair of them now....) the core thing to keep in mind is that the sub domains must be set to point to dedicated targeted pages, not all to the same page, and don't do anything dumb like stick a merchants trademark there, else you'll soon end up with burnt fingers and unpaid

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Ah actually just found the jewelry store I was referring to goldenmine.com, they still use the sub domain tactic but redirect straight to sub directories so none of the sub domains show up in searches from what I can see.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread