ABW Ambassador
    Purchased a domain I don't know what to do with
    I wasn't thinking and put in a bid on a domain name & then realized I wouldn't know what to do with it... I'm not going to mention it here, but depending on how you say it, it could rhyme with a popular travel site, or you could break the name apart and it could be automotive related... I was tempted to do a personal blog since the name could also be used to describe a blog about nothing important. Of course, personal blogs, especially when you don't have anything interesting to write about, are hard to promote and monetize.

It was previously owned and used by an automotive-related company and I have numerous automotive related sites, but I wanted to do something different. ugh...

I know, it's hard w/out knowing what the name is, but any ideas?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

ABW Ambassador
    you could give it away?

Develop on the travel side of it?

It's a toughy.

Not an unnatrual progression from automotive.

Resell it?
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    All valid ideas. The problem w/ the travel site, is that the rhyming word is not flattering, which ties into the thought of using it for an off-topic type blog to rant. And, no I don't throw money away, so I wouldn't give a decent domain away either. Which leads to selling it & I haven't had good luck w/ that even w/ fully built established sites, except for one, but the buyer came to me.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I guess it depends what you paid for it and whether you're willing to cut losses, break even or want to see a profit.

The best thing I have found to do is use a parking service and hopefully come up with your renewal fee for the next year. Continue that until you find yourself really wanting to develop it, not asking yourself if you should or not. Unless your interest is 100% on developing it, you will probably just rush it and not have it turn out the way you originally wanted. I have been there a couple of times.

-sfcom

Why not run some tests on the domain to see where it fits in your business? With my "on hold" domains, I sometimes park them in-house with pitches for related websites in my network, some affiliate links, and something to capture e-mail.

If the domain doesn't generate revenue or show how it specifically fits in the business, then I let it go. Of course, because I've bought bad domains before, I now like to have a clear marketing plan before picking up new ones.

Best,

Justin
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    How much did it cost you?

I have tons of domains that are good but I don't know exactly what to do with them. I figured someday I will have inspiration and do something with them.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    How much did it cost you?
    Not enough to really worry about, but I was just hoping for some ideas I may have overlooked. I hate even giving up a dollar for nothing

I got somewhat addicted to buying domains recently and have done fairly well (by my modest standards) with some of them, others not so much. I'm watching another one that was previously used for a forum, but I already have a couple sites with forums in that niche, so I don't want another. All of the other ideas I'm coming up with will take quite a bit of work and/or custom programming, so I'm balking. But I may just snatch it up & figure it out later.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Ya, I suppose you don't have to develop it. I mean especially since it doesn't sound like something you are excited about. You need some time and energy to put into a new site, so make it worth while!

Don't sell the domain, I know i am new to this forum, looking for affiliate info, but i have been using sitegrouper for 3 months and it's an awesome place to park domains, plus it has a sell this domain button, google adsense and a customizable mid-section. multiple ways to make money while building traffic. plus it's cheap.

ABW Ambassador
    Just a small update in case anyone was curious, which I doubt... I ended up using the domain for a blog that's more or less off topic - news, politics, blogging, etc. I've been playing w/ various plugins and posting about them, so it hasn't been a loss at all. I've been able to take what I've learned with this site and apply it toward others. I'm also getting some decent traffic from reddit for some posts & consumerist picked up on one and some foreign news sites picked up another. It's had a PR3 for a little while now, so it's not doing bad. It's a fun diversion from the usual niche affiliate site, forum, etc.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread