Unhappy Sales dropped down on my InstrumentPro Script Store
    Hello Forum,

since InstrumentPro changed from MyAffiliateProgram to the new CJ affiliation network, my sales are dramatically dropped down

Anyone else could post opinions and experience?

A sales decline doesn't mean anything without knowing if your traffic and clicks were consistent, and without knowing if you converted your links properly. I didn't make the switch, and pulled InstrumentPro off the site that carried those links, so of course my sales dropped.

I'll assume that what you mean is that your conversion rate (the % of your visitors sent to InstrumentPro who buy something, or the $ earned per visitor you send to InstrumentPro) has declined.

Some factors that might cause this:

(1) If your old links were indexed by search engines, you may have been profiting from traffic sent directly from the search engines to InstrumentPro using your links. Once those old links stopped working (or even if they still work, once they stopped being tracked), you would lose that benefit, and it's less likely that you'd regain that benefit using CJ links.

(2) Economic problems may have led many consumers to delay "discretionary purchases" like instruments.

(3) It's possible that parasites and/or unethical affiliates might be hijacking, diverting, or poaching customers that you send to the merchant. (See the ParasiteWare forum here on ABW for more information.) Networks like CJ are more often targeted by parasites than in-house programs (which is essentially what a MyAP program was, despite the Kolimbo "network" wrapper).

(4) Have you checked to verify that all your links are configured properly, and that you're using an affiliate (publisher) ID that's actually approved fro the InstrumentPro program? I believe that unlike ShareASale, CJ's links still work even if you aren't an active affiliate, and even if you make certain types of mistakes when linking. I've had the unpleasant experience in the past of creating datafeed sites where "some of my links worked, and some did not," and I didn't find this out for many months. Since then, I've usually used Xenu to test all the links on my sites, and verify that they reach valid-sounding landing pages (this is easier for some merchants than for others). (I assume that CJ knows to exclude requests from the Xenu agent when computing clicks and stats; if not, your EPC would plummet from all the extra click activity.)

Hello Mark & Forum,

many thanks for your reply, and your analysis. You wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    A sales decline doesn't mean anything without knowing if your traffic and clicks were consistent, and without knowing if you converted your links properly. I didn't make the switch, and pulled InstrumentPro off the site that carried those links, so of course my sales dropped.

I'll assume that what you mean is that your conversion rate (the % of your visitors sent to InstrumentPro who buy something, or the $ earned per visitor you send to InstrumentPro) has declined.
    Yes, that is my situation.
    The traffic on my website has been fluent and consistent through the years, and - even if visits are a bit less than 1 year ago - are always the same, about 5000-10000 unique visitors every month.

(1) If your old links were indexed by search engines, you may have been profiting from traffic sent directly from the search engines to InstrumentPro using your links. Once those old links stopped working (or even if they still work, once they stopped being tracked), you would lose that benefit, and it's less likely that you'd regain that benefit using CJ links.
    Well, my webpages have not really changed, i never changed the "theme" used to build on fly the pages (by Cusimano script), i just added a few tricks (like adding some variables to get meta description from the datafeed and so on) but just slight changes....
    The links are always the same: if i run the site:mydomain command into google, i get 26000 pages indexed, perfectly organized like they were in the past.
    I assume links are always the same for the visitor, and for the SE too, because the only change is the affiliate code within the page code, but the absolute URLs of my pages are always the same.

(2) Economic problems may have led many consumers to delay "discretionary purchases" like instruments.
    YES, it could be

(3) It's possible that parasites and/or unethical affiliates might be hijacking, diverting, or poaching customers that you send to the merchant. (See the ParasiteWare forum here on ABW for more information.) Networks like CJ are more often targeted by parasites than in-house programs (which is essentially what a MyAP program was, despite the Kolimbo "network" wrapper).
    This is an interesting note.
    I installed the parasite script from Cusimano too, how can i check that is it working properly?

(4) Have you checked to verify that all your links are configured properly, and that you're using an affiliate (publisher) ID that's actually approved fro the InstrumentPro program? I believe that unlike ShareASale, CJ's links still work even if you aren't an active affiliate, and even if you make certain types of mistakes when linking. I've had the unpleasant experience in the past of creating datafeed sites where "some of my links worked, and some did not," and I didn't find this out for many months. Since then, I've usually used Xenu to test all the links on my sites, and verify that they reach valid-sounding landing pages (this is easier for some merchants than for others). (I assume that CJ knows to exclude requests from the Xenu agent when computing clicks and stats; if not, your EPC would plummet from all the extra click activity.)
    This is very interesting.
    I am sure that my ID is actually approved, but i'll double check it.
    Please could you be more descriptive on how to use Xenu software to check those links?

Thanks again,
    Nicola

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread