Thumbs up Looking To Sign Up As A Merchant...A Few Questions
    Well first hello to the board. I am a ecommerce businessman who has had a music website since 1995 and now looking to bring in more traffic and sales via an affiliate program.

I friend pointed me to ShareASale and looks good and can afford it but I have some questions before jumping head first. Below is the same email i sent to ShareASale but have yet to hear back. So maybe since they often check this board and others who deal with them here, maybe you can help me.

Thank you for taking the time to look and answer!

Ok, I just looked over your site and do have a few question I need to get clear before I see if this will work or not.

A little background, my website site is XXXXX and I sell non copyrighted music that is legal and free to sell. I sell in cd, tape and dvd format. I am using Prostores shopping cart software. Here are the few questions I have..

1. I dont see Prostores listed on the FAQ page. If I were to sign up, looking at my site would I need to put any sort of code on each and every product? I have just a tad over 3,000 items. (not including other affilate items which have)

2. With the banners are those made up by you or am I submitting ones I already have made up?

3. If I want others to join the program to promote my site, I just send them to the affiliate sign up page that is designed by you? Or can they just put up banners on their site with a special html link?

4. Afte the first one time fee, and then setting up a min of $100 in "the bank" you are 100% responsible for paying out the affiliates with that money? So basicall I do nothing to pay out other then to make sure funds are in the account.

5. Lets say I sign up and have not 1 affiliate sale or lead (they come in other ways) am I removed from the program?

6. Does the 1x fee cover more then 1 website as I have 2 internet business I like to promote via an affiliate program

Please advise each and every question as I am looking to expand and grow with someone!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    1. I dont see Prostores listed on the FAQ page. If I were to sign up, looking at my site would I need to put any sort of code on each and every product? I have just a tad over 3,000 items. (not including other affilate items which have)

I don't have experience with Prostores specifically, but the only code you need to place is on the confirmation page of your cart... not on individual products. The only way to really determine if it will work is by going in and trying to place the code on your cart - but it is very rare that a cart is incompatible.

2. With the banners are those made up by you or am I submitting ones I already have made up?

Banners are supplied by you...

3. If I want others to join the program to promote my site, I just send them to the affiliate sign up page that is designed by you? Or can they just put up banners on their site with a special html link?

They will need to sign up and have an account on ShareASale so that we can pay them. You'll be able to point them to a location to do so...

4. Afte the first one time fee, and then setting up a min of $100 in "the bank" you are 100% responsible for paying out the affiliates with that money? So basicall I do nothing to pay out other then to make sure funds are in the account.

Pretty much... you keep the account funded and we pay your affiliates with that money.

5. Lets say I sign up and have not 1 affiliate sale or lead (they come in other ways) am I removed from the program?

No you aren't removed... but there are Monthly Minimum fees after the end of your grace period (60-120 days) ... see www.shareasale.com/pricing.cfm

6. Does the 1x fee cover more then 1 website as I have 2 internet business I like to promote via an affiliate program

The setup fee would only cover the first program, not additional.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

WOW your quick LOL and coming from the top man himself I thank you. I will sign up by weeks end and hopefully the prostores will work. Just to bad it will be a 1x setup per website but if this takes off then cash wont be a problem!

Thank you again for such a quick response

http and a telephoto
    Nate, you get to test the tracking before you make a financial commitment, so you can go ahead and get signed up without fear of paying then finding out it won't work with your cart.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Welcome to ABW (and SAS) Natty! One question I didn't see asked that you might want to consider: From your questions regarding banners and payment it appears that you may assume that SAS will be running your affiliate program. Much of it is automated but you may be leaving off some important details. You are going to need to police your program for it to be successful.. Auto-pilot programs fail at a high rate. Please take some time and read around the rest of the forum to see some of the pitfalls that are out of the Networks (SAS's) hands. You will find that SAS is one of the most highly respected networs there is, but much of your success is up to you.
    Good luck!

So the networks get you in touch with affiliate and pay them. What do I have to do as a merchant.

Do I have to watch to make sure I'm not scamed. Can I pick and choose who I keep and who I get rid of based on performance.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by mocharanger
    So the networks get you in touch with affiliate and pay them. What do I have to do as a merchant.

Do I have to watch to make sure I'm not scamed. Can I pick and choose who I keep and who I get rid of based on performance.
    The networks provide tracking and pay the affiliates. You can pay the network to manage your affiliates or you can manage them yourselves. Networks don't do the recruiting unless you hire them to do so.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    It looks like you need an OPM, there are quite a few on this forum. Your program will have a higher success rate if you find someone to run it for you

Quote Originally Posted by mocharanger
    What do I have to do as a merchant...
    You don't "have" to, but you better manage your program (if you want to succeed). Sounds like you could really benefit from reading the Responsibilities of Affiliate Manager? thread.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Welcome to ABW (and SAS) Natty! One question I didn't see asked that you might want to consider: From your questions regarding banners and payment it appears that you may assume that SAS will be running your affiliate program. Much of it is automated but you may be leaving off some important details. You are going to need to police your program for it to be successful.. Auto-pilot programs fail at a high rate. Please take some time and read around the rest of the forum to see some of the pitfalls that are out of the Networks (SAS's) hands. You will find that SAS is one of the most highly respected networs there is, but much of your success is up to you.
    Good luck!
    Ok, well I was under the impression that I can decide who joins and who does not so when they go to the application page wont I get notification on who is trying to be an affiliate?

Also can I tell people to go to the affiliate page and sign up to make money? Basically advertise for sign ups? Say on other music related boards etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty
    Ok, well I was under the impression that I can decide who joins and who does not so when they go to the application page wont I get notification on who is trying to be an affiliate?
    As long as your program isn't on Auto Approve, you can review each affiliate application for your program and make the final determination of who to accept or not. Just keep in mind that that you should respond as quickly as possible and that when you decline an application you should provide the affiliate with specific reasons why they weren't accepted in to your program.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty
    Also can I tell people to go to the affiliate page and sign up to make money? Basically advertise for sign ups? Say on other music related boards etc.
    That depends on what the board allows. For instance, we would consider that SPAM here unless it were a paid announcement, which would probably be a good idea anyway. Make sure you read the rules on posting or contact the boards admin before recruiting. You wouldn't want to come off as SPAMMY or get banned.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Rematt & Others....

Thanx for the advise. One other quick question though on who joins my affiliate program. If its on auto-pilot and it seems that it will approve everyone who signs up what could go wrong? If my set up is purely based on sales (so no comm for leads or ppc) then they are only going to get paid if someone orders via them. What problems can come from placing real orders?

Outsourced Program Manager
    I suggest you leave the program on auto approve. Many affiliates see your program and then go in and sign up, If your auto approve they have you on their minds and can then go in a grab their banners/text links right away and get going.
    If your on Manual you lose that momentium.

I do suggest you then review each and every affiliate and spell out what your criteria is for accepting affiliates in your FAQ page.

I run 2 program on sas and turn down less than 1% of the affiliates. Thats not to say each and every one will get active thou.

Bear in mind that after you have been on SAS for 2-3 months you will get very few quality affiliates unless you go out and get them on your own. This is where an affiliate manager comes in
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Well I did it...I joined as of today! Thank you for all your replies and help. NOW...can someone point me in a direction for getting the word out (free or extremly cheap) that I now have an affiliate program

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread