Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    A couple pics of my brother / fishing buddy with Brookies
    In late September, my younger brother, Mark, his wife Keo, Ellen and I took a three day trip to a beautiful place called Sylvan lake west of Vail, CO. The lake is glass clear and is loaded with Brook trout, which readily feed all day long.

We took our single man inflatable pontoon boats (picture included) as it is a relaxing and really fun way to fish for these little critters. Note the vivid spawning colors of these brookies, they are just beautiful. Just thought I'd throw a couple more pics in for another species - hope those who fish enjoy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Beautiful fish..wonder if they taste any good?

Starting to get cold in CO, is that when you head for Florida?

Those brookies may be little, but their taste is the best of all Colorado trout. Excellent grilled over a campfire. You can eat them like corn on the cob. I was brookie fishing in the N. Fork of the Cache la Poudre river recently and it took only a couple hours to bring in a feast of these little buggers.

Another interesting thing about brookies - lunker German Browns like to feed on them, especially at night. I went back after dark and landed an 8 pounder. I'll have to bring the camera next time. Just leary about falling in the water with an expensive camera. I think I'll ask for a cheapo camera for Christmas.
    ~Ernie

Beautiful brookies!! Thank you for sharing these pictures, Alan.

I have one of these on my license plate. There are populations of native brook trout in VA. In fact, "Virginia currently has more native brook trout streams than all other southeastern states combined... Growth rates of wild trout, particularly brook trout, in Virginia are exceptional when compared with growth rates for similar streams in neighboring states. In most Virginia streams, adult brook trout average 8-10 inches by their third year of age." [source]

Geno

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    Those brookies may be little, but their taste is the best of all Colorado trout. Excellent grilled over a campfire. You can eat them like corn on the cob.
    Yep, campfire brookies, what I refer to as "Brookies On A Stick" taste good, but then I'm into just about any meat on a stick!!

Delsol - actually our routine weather this time of year is beautiful, at least in mountain dwellers minds. Our days right now where I live, are in the high 50's to low 60's, sunny and beautiful. At 8,200 ft, 50 and sunny is like 70! We stick around to do the holidays with our sons, DILS and grandbabies, then head to beachville January 8 - 10th.

Geno - I can see that you are sincere about fishing and learning. You have genuine enthusiasm about it and that is cool buddy! Most stream brookies are in the 10" - 13 " range where we generally fish, however, we have caught them as big as 5 - 6 lbs up near Aspen too. Last week, my son Jeremy guided two of the CO Rockies pitchers and one of them caught a brookie that was 4 + lbs, so they do get big in the right conditions. In most streams in the U.S. brookies do a natural hatch, so they are prolific in many smaller waters. As a result, in many waters, especially in the west, they are underfed because there are too many of them for (some streams aquatic makeup) to support. That is why you often see brook trout where the head occupies as much as a third of their body size. The head grows, but the body lags behind due to under-nourishment. But they are tasty - and their colors during spawn are vivid and beautiful.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread