Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    LAX places of interest?
    Hi All,

Will be taking a trip to LAX. Did some research but are there any places that I should not miss? Doubt that I will be going to the theme parks as I have been to lots of parks in Orlando.

-Walk of Fame
    -Hollywood
    -Rodeo Drive
    -Sunset strip
    -Beaches

Did some research on:
    http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/

Will drive to San Diego as I heard that the San Diego zoo is as good as the DC zoo

Thoughts?

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    The San Diego Zoo is very good, if my memory serves me.

There's a great place to eat on Hollywood Blvd. called Cinespace - they have great food (albeit pricy), full bar, comfy booths, and best of all - they show DVDs during dinner!

Also Hamburger Hamlet across from the Chinese theatre is good too. You might want to add the Santa Monica Pier to your itinerary as well.

Thanks Trisha

No problem. If I think of anywhere else cool and kind of offbeat to send you to, I'll chime back in.

ABW Ambassador

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Where to begin.....

You mention the Sunset Strip - walk around there in the evening, then go to the Rainbow Bar and Brill (9015 Sunset) for good food and a real experience. You may see a few rock stars, athletes, or actors, but even if not, the scenery will be well worth it.

I wouldn't spend too much time on Hollywood Blvd./Walk of Fame, but do that during the day. Not a great area for late at night. However, do look around at Hollywood and Highland and the shopping, hotel, Kodak Theater complex.

Rodeo drive is a different world - go to look and if you want to buy, take the titanium card - super expensive area. Another good place for shopping, people watching, drinks, lunch, or a movie, is the Grove, which is next door to the Farmers' Market (an old, traditional spot to spend a few minutes exploring) at 3d and Fairfax.

Beaches - its 90 degrees today, but its supposed to cool off in the next few days. Beaches, Santa Monica Pier are always good in this weather, and a trip 20 miles up the coast highway through Malibu is always beautiful.

A few other ideas:

The Getty Museum in West LA, and/or the Getty Villa in Malibu. Well worth it - but check dates and times to visit.

The LA County Museum of Art at Wilshire and Fairfax and the Museum of Contemporary Art in downtown are also great experiences. The Contemporary is in California Plaza, and there are lots of great restaurants there - my favorite (from my many years working in downtown LA) was Trattoria Tesoro, at 300 S. Grand. Also downtown, check out the Music Center and especially Disney Hall - amazing architecture from Frank Geary.

San Diego - the SD Zoo is one of the world's greatest, far better than the LA Zoo, but the best animal experience in SoCal is the San Diego Wild Animal Park, in San Pasqual, NE of San Diego.

That should keep you busy, but if you have any specific questions, let me know.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I'd definitely spend more time in San Diego, it's really the best place in Southern California. The zoo is great and is a bit better than the DC zoo IMO - just be sure to take the sky ride over the park and see the polar bear exhibit. You can also spend some time around Balboa Park and check out some of the museums by the zoo, great area. Additionally you should go to La Jolla and see the cliffs along the beach and the seals that hang out around there. And if you got time nothing beats a sailing trip around the San Diego harbor at sunset, really an amazing experience.

As for LA I think the only real nice thing to see up there is the Huntington Library Botanical Gardens. It's really massive and has some awesome scenery, especially the desert area. It's maybe around 20-30 mins from LAX, but well worth the trip.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Oh, La Brea Tarpits? Shoot, I still have to see those myself...

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    And, on the grounds of the Tar Pits, the Page Museum, where not only can you see skeletons retrieved from the pits, but watch technicians working on cleaning, preserving, and assembling them. In Exposition Park, near downtown, the Natural History Museum has a fabulous collection of pre-historic animal life, from the tar pits and elsewhere. Exposition Park also features the California Science Center and the California African-American Museum.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Never been to the tar pits. I just checked them out on flickr and they don't seem too exciting. Huntington is much, much nicer.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Did anybody suggest Lego Land - it's pretty fun and cool, and it's on the way to San Diego. We had a blast last time we went there.

And don't forget Venice Beach. There's nowhere else on Earth like that on a good day. I agree that Hollywood Blvd. is probably not the best place to spend much time, but fun for a quick couple hours' jaunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Never been to the tar pits. I just checked them out on flickr and they don't seem too exciting. Huntington is much, much nicer.

- Scott
    They are very different and not at all mutually exclusive. The Huntington features, besides the incredible Botanical Gardens, the fabulous collections of the Huntington Library and art galleries. You can spend weeks there and never see it all.

The tar pits is a fascinating place to spend a couple of hours.

Thanks guys.. Never knew all those places existed. Leave it to the locals or people who have been there

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Shopping on Melrose Avenue is way cool - rock star heaven. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Another good shopping area that's no totally expensive is the Westwood area near UCLA - decent shops and a couple of good movie theatres and tons of restaurants.

Thanks again everybody. I have been looking up the places and definately some interesting places.

I think I am going to set some time to go to the tar pits due to sentimental reasons. I think I saw a movie when i was a kid and they filmed it by the tar pits. Can't recall the movie but i never thought that it was in LA.

Now, to look for a good GPS so that I don't get lost (not that I get lost easily but GPS is the best thing after slice bread).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Thanks again everybody. I have been looking up the places and definately some interesting places.

I think I am going to set some time to go to the tar pits due to sentimental reasons. I think I saw a movie when i was a kid and they filmed it by the tar pits. Can't recall the movie but i never thought that it was in LA.

Now, to look for a good GPS so that I don't get lost (not that I get lost easily but GPS is the best thing after slice bread).
    There are a couple of other places right in that area you might like (I already mentioned the LA County Museum of Art directly east on Wilshire from the Tar Pit/Page Museum). A couple of blocks west at 6060 Wilshire is the Petersen Automotive Museum - fabulous collection depicting the history of cars and LA's car culture.

Also, if you go north on Fairfax to 419 N. Fairfax, you'll find Canter's Deli, one of the GREAT places in LA for lunch (or dinner). Get the hot pastrami on rye, and if you are unfamiliar with such foods, try the Matzo Ball Soup (make sure you get it with noodles) and for dessert, hot noodle kugel. Note - Canter's is open 24 hours is is one of the few places in LA that has great food and is a hub of activity throughout the night and early morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    I recently used a Garmin Where2 in a rental car and it was AWESOME! I think that's an older model though as all I've seen advertised new is the Garmin Nuvi, but it's a handy machine for sure.

If you're going to the walk of fame, also check out the Beverly Center...it's a huge mall. Besides that, the observatory in Hollywood is pretty nice.

In San Diego, they have Sea World. I took the kids there a few months back and had a great time.

Charles

Ahh LAX, the best place is the airport waiting to go home.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Affiliate Manager
    If you need a break from the urban grind LA offers some great areas for hiking. Right in the heart of the city is Griffith Park, with the excellent observatory (you've probably seen it in a hundred movies), the new astronomy museum there, and 53 miles of hiking trails to some really great views.

Just a little farther, north of Santa Monica, are the Santa Monica mountains, with more trails than I could describe and many of them offering wonderful ocean vistas.

If you have the time and want an experience you can't get outside the Southwest, in just two hours east you could be at Joshua Tree National Park. You can stay in the town of Joshua Tree (I like the Joshua Tree Inn, but there are many good places), and drive into the park at your leisure. This is a great time of year for the desert, with sunny days with very moderate temperatures. If you drive through the park north to south you'll pass Palm Springs for a little shopping or a good meal on your way back into town.

If any of these outdoors things strikes your fancy feel free to drop me a PM and I can send URLs for details on them.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Hi All,

It's been a long trip.
    Day trip to San Diego...
    following day, hit Chinatown, Union Station, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Blvd, kodak theatre, Santa Monica, drove to Canyon Drive to some outlet mall cos my parents wanted to go.

Will take it easy today, go to the tar pit, Griffith Observatory and maybe a beach or 2.

Will be 2 busy days tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    You mention the Sunset Strip - walk around there in the evening...
    When I was in college down there in the 60s/70s, Sunset Strip was a literal zoo. A couple buddies and I were walking Sunset Strip one night and a girl walked up and asked if I wanted a ball for a dime. I couldn't understand why she was selling balls, and so cheap. I didn't want a cheap ball so I said no.

The SD Zoo used to be the largest zoo in the nation. May still be. I haven't been there in years, but I understand it's fantastic.

You might consider some more off beat attractions such as the Mt. Wilson observatory, or JPL (Jet Propulsion Labs).

X

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread