Duplicate title and meta tags
    Some thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

My site is database driven and one product range has over 240 items. We display 20 products per page but also allow users to drill down by category and type.

My problem is that google webmaster tools report duplicate title and meta tags for the 12 pages where we list all our products. This is not surprising as the title will say "widget section" and the meta tag "Buy your widgets here"

I am thinking of adding page numbers - so "widget section: Page 1" - easy to do but hardly informative.

Any ideas how I can still have a complete list of my widgets but create something meaningful / different in the title / meta tags for each page?

Well you are the only one who know your products but I would also not use "page 1, etc" as my distinguishing factor. Think keyword.

Widget Section: Price range 1, Price range 2, etc.
    or
    Widget Section: Feature 1, Feature 2, etc.
    or
    Widget Section: Application1, application2, etc.
    Widget Section: Brand 1, Brand 2, etc.
    Widget Section: Color 1, color 2, etc.

I think by almost breaking it down into different categories you probably will also save your customer some time instead of wading through all the products. Then Google will love you and your customers will too

If you have a site or in a site you must not duplicate title or description there must be different title in a page of a site. By this way we can easily determine which is which.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smith41
    If you have a site or in a site you must not duplicate title or description there must be different title in a page of a site. By this way we can easily determine which is which.
    Who's "we?" Are you a Google spy/rep?

Or are you just quoting them?

So easy to say but very difficult in practice! Trying to sub divide 240 plus similar products is not easy. Sure I can have a blue widgets - square widgets and blue square widgets to help my customers.

Currently I have 20 pages of widgets with 'select type' on each page. It will take some thought in order to keep each page unique with only 20 widgets on show at a time.

Although I don't sell bulbs it is the same problem as if I had 250 different types of tulips. Some people search for tulips then decide on colour and shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Who's "we?" Are you a Google spy/rep?

Or are you just quoting them?
    No well you know as a visitor I would like the site that I visit to be like it so I stated we for me it will be nice if title a not alike in every pages.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread