I'm Sick But I Love My Job
    So I've been dealing with this nasty cold flu thingie for about a week, and while it sucks to be sick I've been counting my blessings. As an Internet marketer I don't have to:

1) Drag my sniffling, sneezing, miserable butt into the car at 5 am to hit the two hour commute to the city like I used to do

2) Impose my sniffling, sneezing, etc. self onto unsuspecting coworkers- all because in my job I don't get sick days so I'm forced to inflict myself upon them

3) Have psychedelic experiences while managing the boss' accounts since I'm taking enough cold medicine to fly a kite

4) Make horrible mistakes like deleting an office bank account (I did that once, yikes!) and have to give my boss a lame excuse like "the cold medicine made me do it."

5) Suffer without a nap.

Since I'm an affiliate marketer I can:

1) Stay in my jammies and have a short commute to the other room where the computer is

2) Not impose cold germs on anyone except the cat, who doesn't mind

3) If I have a psychedelic moment at the keyboard, nobody is there to care

4) If I make a horrible mistake well, it still sucks, but at least it's my responsibility and I'm the only one who suffers the consequences

5) I can take as many naps as I want to.

If you're going to be sick, then I say do it as an Internet marketer because life is a lot easier.

Dan

Oh, I'm so jealous. I can't wait until I can do this full time. These days, I have to make sure I time my sicknesses to the days I work from home. Luckily, I only go in two days a week. By the way, even when you aren't sick, it sucks to go in to an office. Especially in the NE US in the winter...like today...

Ohmigod, I could NOT have said it better!!

Terrific post

I often joke to friends that my morning commute is to the kitchen for coffee...

Plus I haven't been to the Dry Cleaner in months (used to drop off stuff weekly).

I'm really sorry you're sick, but it's WAY better as an internet marketer..

Dry cleaner - what's that?

Yeah, another great bonus about doing IM is the slob wardrobe factor.

Although I have to confess in my other life as a part-time musician I have to wear decent clothes - and those do go to the dry cleaners' occasionally.

Dan

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    My one problem in working from home though is that I don't actually work for myself, so I still have to get up and work even if I feel sick. The lure to go back to bed when it's just down the hall though is TREMENDOUS! :P

That's true, TrishaLynne - when the bed's there waiting for you (with a couple of cats curled up on it at my house) napping can be very tempting.

I've learned to give in to the nap impulse because if I'm that sleepy during the day I know I didn't get enough rest the night before, and I figure my body needs it. I've slept so much during this latest cold that I really need to get myself back at the computer for more hours now to make up for it.

Dan

Outsourced Program Manager Ronald Marva - SEOP's Avatar
    All the benefits of working on your own time! I am turning green with envy!

You can add that you don't have to call in sick!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Yes, the ability to work on your own time is wonderful.

Now if I could just combine that with some INCOME!
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Yes, the ability to work on your own time is wonderful.

Now if I could just combine that with some INCOME!

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Yeah, I always hated calling in sick at my old job. Like I always felt I was a bad person or something just cause I caught a bad cold.

Now I work for myself. When you're self-employed they say you're always working for a mad man, but that's okay with me.

Dan

Dan, your post made me chuckle..

I'm self-employed now, but back in the corporate days, I worked with a nutcase (a sociopath hiding behind a normal exterior!). If I would call in sick, you could HEAR the sighs on the other end of the phone.. then he would phone me with questions about 10 times during the day. For things he could've easily found himself. It was so inconsiderate.

I actually forgot about that until now... and have new appreciation for my self-employed state!!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Chikaboom chikaboom (don't you just love it?)

Feel better Dan - go have a nap with the cats. Their purring will help you heal.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I'm self-employed now, but back in the corporate days, I worked with a nutcase (a sociopath hiding behind a normal exterior!). If I would call in sick, you could HEAR the sighs on the other end of the phone.. then he would phone me with questions about 10 times during the day. For things he could've easily found himself. It was so inconsiderate.
    At least it wasn't like that episode of The Office when Oscar calls in sick and Dwight investigates and stalks him.

lol, that was a great episode!!

It's probly not far off the mark tho.. I think he invented reasons to call as he was secretly trying to catch me out...

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hahaha. The week of a ginormous "go live" date at work a crown broke in my mouth. I told my boss I had a dentist appointment later in the week to have it repaired. He freaked! In spite of the fact that the switch had been flipped on the new computer system and so far my workflow was running without a hitch didn't reassure him. He was certain that if I left the office for a few hours something horrible would happen.

I said, "Fred, let's get something straight. I like my job a lot, but I don't LOVE MY JOB." He backed off. Big dummy. I actually really did love that job.

Rhea,

Oy, dental emergencies - a lot of bosses are clueless about those. Like, when a tooth is falling out of your mouth and you're bleeding maybe you need to get it taken care of and not wait? But bosses don't like that! Good for you for insisting on leaving for your appointment.

I'm feeling tons better this week and it's amazing - when my head is clear I can suddenly find cool niches to go into! There's nothing like the smell of a fresh new niche in the morning - it's the best.

Dan

My last employer was pretty good about this type of thing. When my mom had cancer I had to take her for her treatments 2-3 times per week. She lived about 40 minutes from work, about 25 minutes to her appt., then back home and back to work.

My boss talked to the V.P. of IT and they said to do what I had to do and just to give them 32 hours per week, whatever hours I could work in. That worked for me since I put in a ton of hours for them anyway.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice

My boss talked to the V.P. of IT and they said to do what I had to do and just to give them 32 hours per week, whatever hours I could work in. That worked for me since I put in a ton of hours for them anyway.
    Sounds like a good guy to work for, if you have to work for anyone.

I am the most demanding boss I've ever had. I keep threatening to quit but the benefits are astronomical so I'll probably stick around. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I remember working the day job, and my boss always hated when I had to call in sick. With two young children, it happened more often, and I could tell he was getting irritated about it. One of my better days was going into his office and giving him my two week notice

Now a days I don't answer to anyone but myself, and just this morning my son wasn't feeling good so he's staying home with me. No worries of having to call and explain why I can't come into work.

When you're sick as a fulltime affiliate marketer, take your work to bed. Sleep with your laptop!

X

Outsourced Program Manager GregJr-CMC's Avatar
    I have had a nasty cold/flu for three weeks now and I work outside for 8 hours a day. I always get hounded for calling off and they just blame it on the cold weather because we have too many people that abuse sick days. That sucks for the honest people. Sounds like affiliate marketing is the best job to have when sick if your doing it full time
    [b]Greg Rice Jr.[/b]
    Affiliate Program Management
    [url="http://www.gocmc.com/"]www.gocmc.com[/url]
    info(@)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223 | AIM/Yahoo:[font=Verdana]GregJrCMC[/font] | MSN: [font=Verdana][email="GregJrCMC@live.com"]GregJrCMC@live.com[/email][/font] | ICQ: [font=Verdana]416241443[/font] |

Join us! - [url="http://www.gocmc.com/freelance-work-exchange-affiliate-program.php"]GoFreelance[/url] | [url="http://www.gocmc.com/magsforless_surplusmags.php"]SurplusMags / MagsForLess[/url] | [url="http://www.gocmc.com/print-country-affiliate-program.php"]PrintCountry[/url] | [url="http://www.gocmc.com/nannies4hire-affiliate-program.php"]Nannies4hire / Babysitters4hire[/url] | [size=2][url="http://www.gocmc.com/discount-candle-cheese-supply-affiliate-program.php"]DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply[/url][/size][size=1][size=2] [/size][/size]

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread