Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Our greatest freedom...
    Ellen and I just returned from casting our ballots for this years national, state and county elections. Like we do every year, we did a lot of reading and research on candidates, amendments and referendums. We then compiled our lists complete with voting notes just like we do every two years and then proudly spoke our minds by casting our votes.

Like most, in between elections, we tend to forget, or at least lose that special feeling that voting brings us. We tend to think a little less about just how fortunate we are to live in a country where voting, rather than tyranny decides who represents us.

The past several years have been trying times for America, and much of the rest of the world too. But no matter how challenging the times are, regardless of where you stand and regardless of how fed up we get with the corruption of politics, for those of us who care enough about our country to make the effort to vote, we cherish and hold dear our right to do so.

As we left the polling place today, I commented to Ellen that so far in our marriage, today represents the 19 election we have voted in together (every two years). As we got in the car to head home, I said: "well, we've done what we can do, now it's a wait and see." As I said that, that special feeling of privilige that I get every two years really comes home to roost.

I hope that everyone, regardless of who your candidate is, will participate in this election. My only other wish is that those who may favor a candidate that I do not, will show up in smaller numbers!! God Bless America!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    It is the 1 thing that I cannot do. I cannot vote. At least not until I become an American citizen

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Ellen and I just returned from casting our ballots for this years national, state and county elections. Like we do every year, we did a lot of reading and research on candidates, amendments and referendums. We then compiled our lists complete with voting notes just like we do every two years and then proudly spoke our minds by casting our votes.

Like most, in between elections, we tend to forget, or at least lose that special feeling that voting brings us. We tend to think a little less about just how fortunate we are to live in a country where voting, rather than tyranny decides who represents us.

The past several years have been trying times for America, and much of the rest of the world too. But no matter how challenging the times are, regardless of where you stand and regardless of how fed up we get with the corruption of politics, for those of us who care enough about our country to make the effort to vote, we cherish and hold dear our right to do so.

As we left the polling place today, I commented to Ellen that so far in our marriage, today represents the 19 election we have voted in together (every two years). As we got in the car to head home, I said: "well, we've done what we can do, now it's a wait and see." As I said that, that special feeling of privilige that I get every two years really comes home to roost.

I hope that everyone, regardless of who your candidate is, will participate in this election. My only other wish is that those who may favor a candidate that I do not, will show up in smaller numbers!! God Bless America!
    What you say is so true, and it makes what has been happening in Colorado and five other states so outrageous - the efforts by partisan election officials to deny thousands of American citizens their right to vote, by improperly utilizing the Help America Vote Act of 2002.

In Colorado, as only one example, there was a legitimate right to remove 5,100 people who had moved out of the state and 2,400 people who had died. However, Colorado officials have purged 37,000 people from voter rolls. Questions remain as to who are these other 29,500 voters and why were they removed from the rolls. Similar purging has occurred in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nevada and North Carolina. In Ohio, however, the state Supreme Court has put a halt to much of this.

Many people question the voting irregularities in Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004, but what is happening this year could well make a substantial difference in state and local elections across the county, and perhaps in national offices as well.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I think I will have my friend read your post, Alan. She's 27 and not registered to vote because "politics is complicated and I don't understand". I'm not usually the most patriotic person, but I do believe in voting and trying to convince her to do this civic duty is like talking to a brick wall.

Thanks for wording it so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    I think I will have my friend read your post, Alan. She's 27 and not registered to vote because "politics is complicated and I don't understand". I'm not usually the most patriotic person, but I do believe in voting and trying to convince her to do this civic duty is like talking to a brick wall. Thanks for wording it so nicely.
    Hey Trish,

Even the Berlin wall came down eventually! Just takes time and persistence. BTW, if your friend took the time to actually read and research, she would not find it complicated!! I think you know what I mean... Gosh darn it, youth is wasted on the young!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affhound,

With all due respect, I started this thread solely to express the special feeling I get about voting each two years and how happy I am to live in a free country. Voting issues are better discussed in political forums, of which there is no shortage on the internet. Thank you for keeping this non-political.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    It is the 1 thing that I cannot do. I cannot vote. At least not until I become an American citizen
    Julian, are you working toward becoming a citizen? Wherever you are from, I'm sure that you will appreciate the privilige of voting when that time comes, so keep plugging away!!

Alan, I share your feelings and commitment, as well. I don't believe I've missed more than a couple elections since I turned 18 (because of travel or relocating/moving - in the days before it was easy to get an absentee ballot).

Next Tuesday Nancy and I will be at the local polling place early in the morning. We both have plans for the day (each in different directions) but we will "exercise our franchise" before we head out. Congrats to you and Ellen for voting together 19 times. You have us beat; this will be the 17th for Nancy and me.

I also strongly feel that people who don't care to vote should remain "quiet" if the government does things they do not like. We may not always have great choices in November, but at least we "do" have choices. Democracy works best when people participate.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It is incredible, really, the peaceful manner in which political power is passed on from official to official every election, regardless of who wins or loses.

Yes, there may be fights regarding recounts and voter fraud and such - but these always occur in our courts, and the issues always get peacefully settled.

We live in a special place, in a special time.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Julian, are you working toward becoming a citizen? Wherever you are from, I'm sure that you will appreciate the privilige of voting when that time comes, so keep plugging away!!

I am from England. There really is nothing stopping me from becoming an American citizen other than the fee (was $400 last time I checked)
    I never have to become a US ctizen, but if I do become one I will have dual citizinship. I like the sound of that

What a terrific idea -- a non-political (a-political?) thread simply to express joy at the privilege and obligation we Americans have to vote. I love it.

Gotta ask, though, Alan, since your location is listed as "Colorado/Florida" -- where do you vote? Colorado, I assume from the date data in your sig file?

And again, thanks for your post and for starting this thread. It truly is a privilege to be able to vote, and to watch as so much of the world marvels at the peaceful way we have of "passing on power" at every level of our government. We really tend to take so much for granted here, don't we?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I also strongly feel that people who don't care to vote should remain "quiet" if the government does things they do not like. We may not always have great choices in November, but at least we "do" have choices. Democracy works best when people participate.
    Yeah, my friend who refuses to vote is more than happy to not complain when things don't go favorably within politics in her mind. I could be selfish and say it's a good thing she doesn't vote since she leans the opposite way than I do politically, but I still think she should at least exercise the right.

Interesting question though - do you guys vote for every measure/office or are there ever times where you abstain because you don't know enough to make a decision you feel right about?

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    What a terrific idea -- a non-political (a-political?) thread simply to express joy at the privilege and obligation we Americans have to vote. I love it. Gotta ask, though, Alan, since your location is listed as "Colorado/Florida" -- where do you vote? Colorado, I assume from the date data in your sig file?
    CO is home, so I vote here Writer. As I live in a rural mountain area, our polling places are the classic Norman Rockwell examples of where Americans cast their ballots. In fact, our local lumber store is a polling place!

But it is truly an unfortunate thing that more of us do not actually think about and / or appreciate the unique priviliges we have in this country, with voting being our more precious privilige. Perhaps if more of us served our country for a couple years and saw first hand the value of freedom, more of us would cherish the process. Heck, even the Skinny Soy, Triple Shot Half Caf Vanilla Latte with a twist crowd might even view privilige as more than a visit to the Barista! LOL

I love voting!
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I voted already via absentee ballot, my son as well. My daughter wanted to actually go to the polls, her first presidential election - so she and my wife voted at one of our early voting places, which are remarkably crowded this go around. 4 for 4 in my house as far as exercising our greatest freedom! If my Acorn registrations for my 2 cats go through, we'll be 6 for 6.

ok, that last line isn't true... we'll be 127 for 6.

2 for 2 in our house. We both early voted.

Interestingly, nearly 90% of those registered for the 2004 election voted. I wouldn't have expected it to have been that high, but it looks like that's a typical rate.

What a great country we live in!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Wish I lived in one of those states which allow early voting. Want to get out there and vote, and I'd prefer to avoid the rush at our little polling place. We vote in the hall of a small church. Big catch this election day: The church is in the midst of a building campaign and there are contractors, extra vehicles, etc., plus they took up a large amount of their parking space with the new building extension. Don't know why our county registrar people didn't see this one coming and move us to a different, temporary polling place. They actually DID adjust polling places for a couple of neighborhoods.
    Generate more fake news.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Our polling place could not be better: Its about 3 blocks away, at a take-out restaurant - "Hungry Al's Bar-B-Q" (good sauce and side dishes, but never thought much of his meats)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I think Election Day is Tuesday -- so that's when I'll vote
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Voted yesterday.

If you have strong feelings one way or the other and don't vote you only have yourself to blame if you don't like the direction we head in over the next 4 years.

VOTE
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Two reasons why I became an American citizen;
    1. Right to vote
    2. Unlimited opportunities

I always take Election day off, so you know where I will be on Tuesday.

I didn't know until this year that there were states that allow early voting. Although now that California allows permanent absentee voting, I'm kind of guaranteed not to miss an election. Terrific convenience.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread