I asked a merchant for a data feed and they sent me some code in .xml!!!

Help. What do I do with this? How do I get it into a normal spread sheet?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    It's a datafeed in that it is feeding you data. Amazon returns its data via XML. It's simply a different format.

Of course it requires learning a whole new programming way of extracting data and a merchant would be wise to export their data in a more common format also. Try contacting them.

XML is great for fully automated data retrieval. Best for an "on-demand" datafeed. It eliminates the need to keep a merchants product data on your server. For instance, an http call to Amazon for specific items does a search and returns relevant (or often not, in Amazon's case) information via XML. My ASP pages parse the returned info and plugs the info into the page where appropriate.

Wayne

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    SSanf,

Here is a free tool that converts XML to CSV. It works with yahoo stores if you know the store ID. Don't think you can use it with a file on your hard drive, but if the XML feed is from a Ystore this will work.

Sorry URL snipped

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

[This message was edited by Catalyst on November 13, 2003 at 12:43 PM.]

Thanks but it is for Black Forest Decor This does not appear to be a Yahoo store.

Any ideas?

I wrote the merchant but I doubt he will make a data feed just for me. Why would a merchant with thousands of products join SAS and then not have an SAS data feed?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 10th, 2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: removed backlink

ABW Ambassador
    You may find a tool to extract the xml in MS Excell 2003. Or Access 2003. But those programs may be spendy? I have not looked yet.

I know there was an XML import tool in MS Access 2000.

2003 may not be out yet? If it is, it has the functionality. Get used to XML it will be the new CSV in the future.

Yes, that is all well and good but I just want to put the products up. I'm a very simple person.

ABW Ambassador
    You might also download a XML editor from tucows.com or download.com. Open the XML file in one of the editors and then "save as" csv.

You could also download a trial version of xmlspy5 (my favorite).

It IS a Ystore! The ystore name I think is newportantiques4. Go all the way through the cart and you will see. Then use the XML converter I gave you.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Dang! URL sniped? I don't get it.

I don't have the page in my history. I have looked but it isn't there.

Can you PM me or something?

I would really appreciate it.

SSanf,

I'm sorry, I tried it and it did not work. It said that store name was invalid.

I snipped URL because the person that told me about this tool - did not tell me it was confidential, but then after they saw the post said they didn't want me to share the info with anyone so I removed it.

But like I said I tried it and didn't work for this store anyway.

Sorry.

If the store didn't enable their XML feed in their Y Store manager, you can't get the XML.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

<TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=600><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, sometimes it seems like such an uphill battle.

Well, some good news. I got more RAM and now I CAN open the Betty Mills data feed. That should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Squiggie I will try that next.

Thanks for all your efforts to help. If you think of anything else, you kow where to reach me.

Victor Hanna
    The BettyMills Company
    Home of the 30,000 product DataFeed
    http://www.BettyMills.com
    http://affiliates.bettymills.com/
    BettyMills ABW Forum
    800-BettyMills (800-238-8964)

Don't know whether this is helpful or not:

I googled "XML editor" and came up with a link that looks useful. It's a freeware XML editor. Anybody here know enough XML to know whether it would be useful? Not me! Here's the link:

http://www.iol.ie/~pxe/

=================

Gary Speer

Quoth the Owl, "Uuuuh, I dunno?"

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread