Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Telephone number on site
    I redesigned one of my sites several months ago. The designer included an "About Us" page and included our address and phone number. I didn't think much about having my phone number on my site as I felt who would call.

In the last couple of weeks as well as just a few minutes ago I have received calls from visitors to my site who want to purchase a product. Of course I tell them to click on the product and purchase it direct from the merchant.

My question is do you have your phone number on your affiliate site?
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    No, never, no need. Just causes confusion for the visitor. If there is a phone number on your site, people will use it, but then you tell them where to go (politely of course) So what is the point of the phone number? Make sure your site makes it clear how they are supposed to purchase something

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    GAWD no - I'd be getting calls from people at all hours.

When I started my site on AOL years ago, I'd start getting IMs via AOL from site visitors constantly - about drove me nuts. Phone calls would send me over the edge. I list my email addy on my site so if someone has a burning question, they can email and I'll answer ASAP.

We're not merchants - My phone number and my home are private. No reason for a site visitor to contact me other than email.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

My affiliate site has a discreet "designed by" link.. if readers take the trouble to visit over there, they will find a number (purchased through Skype, forwarded to my home).

Real business requests will find you if you leave a few crumbs...

Thanks. I don't know why I let the number stay on the site. I have removed it.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    One option you could use if you do want some kind of phone number there somewhere for legit business is set up a Grand Central account. It gives you online voicemail and call forwarding, without giving out your cell or home phone number. I like using it as a call screening of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    I redesigned one of my sites several months ago. The designer included an "About Us" page and included our address and phone number. I didn't think much about having my phone number on my site as I felt who would call.

In the last couple of weeks as well as just a few minutes ago I have received calls from visitors to my site who want to purchase a product. Of course I tell them to click on the product and purchase it direct from the merchant.

I'm half and half about it. I think the telephone number is good for search purposes, but you do run the risk of having someone telemarketing with your number. To resolve this I went to www.DoNotCall.gov and added my direct number. It helps for keeping phone spammers away while still having my appropriate clients and publishers continue to contact me. Hope this helps.

Ian

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TarsusIan
    I'm half and half about it. I think the telephone number is good for search purposes, but you do run the risk of having someone telemarketing with your number. To resolve this I went to www.DoNotCall.gov and added my direct number. It helps for keeping phone spammers away while still having my appropriate clients and publishers continue to contact me. Hope this helps.Ian

LOL, I have been on both the federal and state don't call lists for several years, as have my sons. We get just as many, if not more telemarketing calls now than we did before. The don't call list has about as much effectiveness as anti spam laws that have not really reduced spam much.

As a merchant we of course list a phone number for visitors to call. However, if I were an affiliate, unless I enjoyed talking on the phone or had a profitable enough org that I could staff for inbounds, I would not list a phone number.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

telemarketers...
    We had a couple of 'charities' (used in the loosest sense of the word) calling us several times a week at all hours. Asked them to stop, they wouldnt...

Thought about suing them, but I went out and bought a new cordless phone, lets you block numbers, they get a busy signal. Wa La, no more heads.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    telemarketers...
    We had a couple of 'charities' (used in the loosest sense of the word) calling us several times a week at all hours. Asked them to stop, they wouldnt...

Thought about suing them, but I went out and bought a new cordless phone, lets you block numbers, they get a busy signal. Wa La, no more heads.
    What phone did you buy that lets you block calls?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

panasonic DECT6.0 KXTG9333T
    around$100
    I think other models do this too.

We don´t know what you are selling. There are a lot of people who make money from telephone advice lines. Couldn´t you put a telephone number that charged the person for the call so you could make money giving advice?

If it got busy you could hire people to take the calls. Depends on the product of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver007
    We don´t know what you are selling. There are a lot of people who make money from telephone advice lines. Couldn´t you put a telephone number that charged the person for the call so you could make money giving advice?

If it got busy you could hire people to take the calls. Depends on the product of course.
    Heh there ya go, slap up a 1-900 number and people won't call it nearly as much

900 numbers are expensive to set up and unless you're going into that industry for real, not worth it.

Remember also to add whois privacy when you register a new domain - and I think you can add it on an existing domain. You can also get phone calls from having that number out there which can be a real pain.

Dan

In the UK it is free to set up those type of numbers. I was thinking of Skype as well. They have some sort of option for telephone numbers you can create where people pay you to phone you.

Some of the best business ideas are a fluke.

ringcentral is like grandcentral but better for business (in my opinion)

i've used ringcentral for years and highly recommend

Ya, I suppose that is a toughy. I know in the CanSpam act you have to have a telephone number on unsolicited emails. I don't believe you need one on your site- but do have an email. There is nothing worse than no email on a site- or at least no form.

I second ringcentral. That is a great starter solution and a good advanced solution. Been using them myself for awhile.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

To bump an old thread, I was surprised to get a voicemail from (I presume) a website visitor this morning. They didn't really say what they were calling about or who they were with, just that they thought they had reached "the website".

Must have been confusing for them since the number they called is just my personal cell phone. The phone number is not listed anywhere on any of my sites, but my guess is they looked up the whois registrar information. Seriously, who does that? Send an email or use the contact form!

Guess it might be time to splurge for the private domain registration.

They didn't say what they wanted, just calling "the website"? That is kind of strange. I know RingCentral is a good paid option, but if you just want an easier way to screen calls...well, like that one, Google Voice (formerly Grand Central) works well for me!
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

Turns out it was a sales call. No wonder they didn't identify themselves in the voicemail. I was able to pick up when they called back, and the woman told me she was from the company Beyond ROI seeking new clients. Pretty shady way of going about marketing IMO.

Put a contact us form on your site instead of a phone number.

That's why I was posting here... there's no phone number on any of my sites.

Maybe putting your number on the right page which is on contact us page. which the client could ask something if they want to clarify something about your product right? but well it's up to you simply if you dont want to be bother by calls on night

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    No, never, no need. Just causes confusion for the visitor. If there is a phone number on your site, people will use it, but then you tell them where to go (politely of course) So what is the point of the phone number? Make sure your site makes it clear how they are supposed to purchase something
    Ab-So-Feakin-Lootly Totally Disagree - ( Sorry Julian )

I have tested this over the years and find that people that are passionate about their purchases .. ( in my case, folks with black mold problems, questions about home improvement projects etc. ) will call before buying from my site.

I still have to do a little selling in my old age....

If your site is totally affiliate driven, then you talk to them and then send the appropriate link to them if you have to.

I make a hundred purchases a month from my store with the customer on the phone with me ... Many of them like to be held by the hand in the purchasing process ....

Contact with your buying base is IMPORTANT ..

Just takes a little more time and unfortunately 70% of your phone calls are people looking for FREE advice ..

Good with the Bad ?

But for me, it is cheaper to answer the phone than to pay Google for the hits!

My Humble Opinion!!!!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast