So I go to the store and buy myself some VO5 Unscented hairspray (my normal brand was sold out), I'm sensitive to strong purfumy scents - so I usually only buy unscented products (they always have a minute scent but noting that sends me running for the extra strenth asprin).

I use the stuff and I'm in shock at how strong the smell is.

So I email customer relations and ask why it's call "unscented" when it has a strong fragrance and they repsponded, explaining that "unscented" does not mean without fragrance and if I wanted something fragrance free, I should look for products marked "Fragrance Free", however they don't make these.

What on earth is the difference between "unscented" and "fragrance free"? I must be stupid.

ellen,

Found this and am as confused as ever but thought I'd post...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> U. S. Food and Drug Administration
    Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
    Office of Cosmetics Fact Sheet

December 19, 1994

FRAGRANCE FREE & UNSCENTED
    The terms "fragrance free" and "unscented" are presently used by the cosmetic industry virtually without restriction, since the expressions have no legal definitions. The majority of consumers consider these terms to be equivalent and interchangeable and understand these terms to mean that a cosmetic product so labeled has no perceptible odor.

Many raw materials used in the manufacture of cosmetics have characteristic odors that may be considered offensive to consumers. Because of this undesirable odor, cosmetic manufacturers add ingredients to their products to both cover any offensive odor originating from ingredients and to impart a fragrance for marketing purposes. In the case of products labeled as "fragrance free" or "unscented," manufacturers generally add fragrance ingredients to cover the offensive odor, but less than what is needed to impart a noticeable scent.

According to the law, all cosmetics offered for sale must include on the label a list of ingredients in descending order of predominance. While most ingredients must be listed by their chemical names, fragrances or flavors may be listed simply as "fragrance" or "flavor". Although the cosmetic regulations do not require the listing of fragrance ingredients present at low levels to cover the off-odor of other ingredients, most manufacturers choose to list them on the label.

In most cases, consumers may be able to purchase "unscented" or "fragrance free" cosmetic products by examining the label to confirm the absence of the word "fragrance" in the list of ingredients. By reading the ingredient listing, consumers may be able to avoid cosmetic products which contain ingredients to which they are sensitive or otherwise wish to avoid.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No help at all but technically the correct response I could work for IBM

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    --Mark Twain

Ellen, I'm a member of the stupid club, too. I thought they both meant the same thing.

Their CR department suggested that there is a difference between "Unscented" and "fragrance free".

I emailed them asking what their definition of "unscented" is since they went to the trouble of suggesting I find "fragrance free" products. I can tell you, this stuff overpowers most cheap purfumes.

Thanks for your posts!

I use VO5 conditioner now that my hair is down to the middle of my back, and my husband asked what the heck is that smell.

VO5 definetly has an odor, love there product hate the smells.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Looks like you just got some nice content for a hair products page.....

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread