I've been reading a lot on the forum lately, and I can keep noticing that people seem to be making static pages by hand. This sucks if you decide you want to change the look of your site, because you'd have to go back through and change them all by hand.

A solution:

Take the time and learn a scripting language like PHP, APS, JSP, or ColdFusion. Then learn a RDBS (database system) such as MySQL, PostgreSQL or Microsoft Server SQL.

It is so much easier.

For my websites, I have a few web-based forms that I enter data into, and my website is automatically updated with new content. It's great.

ABW Ambassador
    "hand making pages is so 1996" speaks volumes. Talk about elitest snobbery!

I program my pages and they are dynamically created from a database.

But I also go to great pains to make them look and navigate like static pages.

Google seems to like small, hand coded static pages.

To each his own.

Sammy ibiza is trying to get your goat!

ABW Ambassador
    Sandra, don't make me smack that A*** of yours again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    Sandra, don't make me smack that A*** of yours again!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If you knock those glasses off you're gonna answer to me

ABW Ambassador
    I'll be careful not to knock the glasses off then...... oh bugger it! *SMACK*

ABW Ambassador
    Please don't knock Sandras eyeglasses off. Heck I've wanted to do it myself a couple of times but feared the resulting view would be to much for me to handle - LOL.

As for handmaking pages being so 1996 I can only laugh. We take advantage of technical knowledge and tools but still selectivley use hand coding in specific areas as well.

Having an end result that performs well is what matters and in many places there is no substitute for what a program can spit out vs what you yourself would.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

Affiliate Manager
    I will take the extra time to make HTML pages by hand over dynamic pages any day... I guess I am sooooo 1996ish.

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

I'm with you Chet,

I just learned how to do HTML and doing alot of pages by hand and it is in a unique way (MY WAY! ) and I believe people will think it's ugly and it's too 1996, but I enjoy it and having fun hand coding a page.

The other hard coding part PHP, Database and
    other programming part it's Mr. Poon's job.

I'll stay 1996 till I learn the programming.

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Hand coded pages look more personal to me. Database driven pages are boring and cold. They are out there by the millions, and they all look sleek and professional, but often it's the human touch - the personal touch - that prompts people to drag out their credit cards!

I say there needs to be a balance of hand coding and database for a site to become a favorite. I also agree that the SEs seem to like hand coded pages vs. other forms of coding.

Just my opinion, though...

Andy

Hey Guys,

Yes, I keep telling myself that. I know if I had more knowledge I could be increadible. However since I feel I should be heading in this direction I have found that there are MANY tools that anyone can use to format static pages that google likes by the bucket load ;-)

In the last three days of work I am guessing I have cranked out about 600 pages ;-)

That is static ... html pages....

I use frontpage to the full extent, for those of you that have the upgrade (fp 2003) check into the new "find" and "replace" ... hee heee

Sometimes it makes sense to stick with what you know and try to learn more about that platform rather than trying to learn something new.

Frontpage offers soo much, yes I know many of you out there are smerking at my frontpage. That is ok ;-) it is nothing more than a tool, and I use it as one.

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    Learn About Lifetime Commissions @ Myrxforless

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I thinks it more like so 1997 but there can be a happy medium of database created sites and hand coding.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I say there needs to be a balance of hand coding and database for a site to become a favorite. I also agree that the SEs seem to like hand coded pages vs. other forms of coding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I like to hand code my HTML pages and then have a search option on my site that is powered by a data feed. It makes great "Lookin for something special?'" sections on your site.

I have also noticed that my HTML sites get listed in the SE's better then my dynamic pages. I don't care how long it takes me to make them as long as they get good rankings and sell for me.

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hand coded pages look more personal to me. Database driven pages are boring and cold.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't think the "look" factor is a valid argument. If a db-driven page looks bad, then it's likely that that programmer would produce an equally bad hand-coded page.

My db driven pages look exactly like my old handcoded, warm touchy-feely pages. In fact, they generate the EXACT same html as the hand coded pages they replaced.

The benefit is that the ASP pages can generate thousands of different product pages and each can be changed or updated by changing a single file.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I also agree that the SEs seem to like hand coded pages vs. other forms of coding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't believe that's true and see no evidence of it. Search engines look at the html generated, not at the method of generating it.
    Wayne

[This message was edited by NorthernStudio on November 13, 2003 at 11:05 AM.]

[This message was edited by NorthernStudio on November 13, 2003 at 11:06 AM.]

I built a datafeed site the other day using Microsoft QBASIC, dated 1991.

It was either that or read the enormous Perl book I bought.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I built a datafeed site the other day using Microsoft QBASIC, dated 1991.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tools are tools and if it works, it's the right tool for the task.

When I started building my book review site over a year ago, I used an Access database on my computer to collect data, and since I had no training in database/web interfaces, I wrote an Access query to write out the HTML code for thousands of individual pages which I then uploaded to the server.

My friend, an experienced ASP and dotNet programmer was quite amused, impressed with my ingenuity and after giving me the necessary dope-slap, gave me a short 20 line or so ASP function that told me everything I needed to know to connect to a database on a server and retrieve the required fields. That script became the foundation for all my sites. After a year of working with ASP I'm still learning but the databases opened up a whole new world for me.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> hand making pages is so 1996 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is so hilarious! This from someone who seriously doubted that she would actually, factually see the turn of the century, it being so enormously far away when I was young.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I use mind control to make my pages, I have this lil' neat helmet that uses subsonic radio waves to communicate with notepad which helps me make tons of pages in my sleep.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>..helps me make tons of pages in my sleep.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Oh, that's Dreamweaver MX 2004.

Wayne

I bought "PHP and MySQL for Absolute Beginners" about a month ago. Promised myself I'd get to it when I have the time. Do I have the time yet??

Meanwhile, it's work with FrontPage 2000 and fiddle a bit with WebMerge. (Though WebMerge still has me mostly stumped.)

But, yeah, someday, I wanna be a PHP + MySQL whiz. Meanwhile, I'm just tickled I can even SPELL MYSQL. Don't have much clue yet what it means.
    ===========

Gary Speer

Quoth the Owl, "Uuuuh, I dunno?"

I had a PHP/MYSQL site that the SE's hated.

I now use SSI extensivly to insert headers, footers and the odd merchant search box coding, that FP likes to screw up. Makes it real easy to change the look (like for the holidays) when I only have to change a few text files. I still do use a cgi based database to update links. So far I haven't noticed it being any slower than MYSQL.

ABW Ambassador
    Learning a scripting language and content management system are so 1998. That's what you have staff for.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

[Learning a scripting language and content management system are so 1998. That's what you have staff for]

LOL! My thoughts exactly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Learning a scripting language and content management system are so 1998. That's what you have staff for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then what is to learn in 2004 ?
    If i want more than simple html.

http://8n.nu

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread