Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    15 years and counting
    CJ spreading parasites
    Check the new merchant at CJ aGoodCause
    Currency: USD US Dollar
    Read the thread about them: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ght=aGoodCause
    "aGoodCause.co.uk makes it free to support a good cause, when you are shopping online. It is the companies that pay the donations, but you are the one deciding where the money should go.
    aGoodCause.co.uk has developed an effective software for you - we call it AidMaker.
    It is easy to install and it is completely free and we guarantee you that it is free of spyware and virus!"

For $1.50 USD you can help them to spread the disease.
    AidMaker also gives you the advantage that you do not have to pass by our homepage to go charity shopping. AidMaker reminds you about which shops are charitable, when you visit them.
    We cooperate with more than 5.000 internet shops and 400 charities.
    WHAT A SHAME!

All the more reason to avoid CJ. They seem to be less successful in Europe where the affiliates insist that the networks clean out scum.

These folks have been shamelessly promoting their theftware across the US since at least August and show up on all the spamspots like Facebook and Digg.

I have noticed less and less merchants that I want to work with on CJ. It's like CJ is slowly dying an internal death.

CJ supports Parasites.

So what's new about that.

They have always supported them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

aGoodCause response
    As we posted in the other debate that is referred to in this thread, we're NOT a parasite. Therefore CJ is doing absolutely nothing wrong and have tested our software with their network quality team. More than 50 other leading affiliate networks have approved us too (in 8 countries), so even though a few haven't (primarily due to negative postings in here) this should underline that we're a serious project. If you want to test for yourselves, rather than believing what is posted in here, download the software through our website and see for yourselves. We admit having made an error in the Netherlands, but this error is corrected now. Thanks,

Jonathan
    aGoodCause.

15 years and counting
    Jonathan, you like it or not, aGoodCause is a parasite. You use a toolbar to grab commissions that don't belong to you. The best way to don't make errors is to respect the same rules than other affiliates, drop your toolbar. Don't you feel ashamed for spending money on rewarding affiliates for such downloads. Did you tell people their money is not going to charities? CJ network quality team is a joke. Don't worry, you'll be a victim too of CJ own parasitic activities. Don't expect to convince us, you're not the first one to try.

A BHO is a BHO and a parasite is a parasite is a parasite!

X

What is a BHO?
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

15 years and counting
    BHO = Browser Helper Object Definition by Wikipedia
    Because BHOs have unrestricted access to the Internet Explorer event model, some forms of malware have also been created as BHOs.

Well, I think it could 'look' like that but I pretty sure of the Soundness of Commission Junction and its business practices. Sure you may not be a member of CJ, but the carping is pretty hard to hear sometimes.

Thank you, but I have a serious question here. Just to see I downloaded the Good Cause Software on my computer and Then I went to ebay, a pop up came and said did you want to use a good cause and it will donate. But it gave me a option, yes or no. I have since ran my security on my computer and found 0 occurances of any type of ailment. Are you sure it is a parasite? I am not to in the know with the sorts of things that can happen to a computer, but I also don't do business (affiliate) with ebay. They have so many stores that work with them, none of the stores I think I work with so maybe it would be good for people who don't do business with the stores and programs it does. If that made any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    Thank you, but I have a serious question here. Just to see I downloaded the Good Cause Software on my computer and Then I went to ebay, a pop up came and said did you want to use a good cause and it will donate. But it gave me a option, yes or no. .... Are you sure it is a parasite?
    If you click "yes" it will overwrite any preexisting affiliate cookie, thus making it a parasite.

ParasiteWare™ - is technology (including, but not restricted to, browser helpers, browser plug-ins, toolbars and pop ups/sliders) that knowingly or unknowingly undermines or removes another affiliate's ability to compete by changing, intercepting or redirecting an affiliate link. Parasiteware™ may be installed knowingly or unknowingly by the end user, altering their normal web browser functions and/or installing a third party application that works through the user's altered browser.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I have since ran my security on my computer and found 0 occurances of any type of ailment. Are you sure it is a parasite?
    From Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary

Main Entry: par·a·site
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French, from Latin parasitus, from Greek parasitos, from para- + sitos grain, food
    Date: 1539
    1 : a person who exploits the hospitality of the rich and earns welcome by flattery
    2 : an organism living in, with, or on another organism in parasitism
    3 : something that resembles a biological parasite in dependence on something else for existence or support without making a useful or adequate return
    The parasitic nature of a download like the one from aGoodCause is in the way that it redirects commissions from affiliates that legitimately earned them.

For example, let's just suppose that you have an affiliate site that has several in depth reviews and comparisons of Tiffany Lamps. Let's also suppose that you spent hundreds of hours researching all of the data contained on your site and were considered an authority. Let's now suppose that you have affiliate links on your your site directing your user base to merchants that can supply the lamps that your review.

Now let's further suppose that a user visits your site and spends several hours on-line reading the information that you so painstakingly researched and presented. The user finds exactly what they are looking for thanks to your hard work and clicks a link on your site to the merchant's site so that they can purchase their new lamp. Upon arriving at the merchant's site "a pop up came and said did you want to use aGoodCause and it will donate. But it gave them an option, yes or no". The typical user doesn't see this as a bad idea. On the contrary, they'll probably see it as a win-win situation. They get the lamp that they want and their favorite charity gets a donation. No-one gets hurt, no-one loses. Except you of course.

Unfortunately consumers really don't know that the way you are compensated for all of the hours of research and time and trouble it took to create a valuable resource for them is through commissions on the products that they buy from the merchants that you recommend (and in all honesty, they may not care). They don't know that in order to donate to their favorite charity that they are taking away your livelihood. They also don't know that a portion of that commission isn't actually going to their favorite charity, it's going to another affiliate. The only difference between you and that other affiliate is that you added value and provided the consumer with information that led them to their purchase. agoodcause triggered a pop-up when the consumer entered the merchant's site.

Who do think really deserves the commission?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    Well, I think it could 'look' like that but I pretty sure of the Soundness of Commission Junction and its business practices. Sure you may not be a member of CJ, but the carping is pretty hard to hear sometimes.
    So are the excuses. Some CJ merchants are wonderful, and run clean programs. However CJ pushes the parasites onto unsuspecting merchants without a proper explanation, like rematt's excellent explanation. He could take that one step further and explain how that same reminder software can take a sale from a direct type in of the merchant url and make it an affiliate sale when it shouldn't be, or take away not only a affiliate commission from that hardworking affiliate, but that affiliate may have also paid for advertising that got the consumer to their site to begin with. So it isn't just taking a commission away, it can be charging commission where there shouldn't be one, and costing affiliates and merchants money by overwriting clicks that were paid for.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

He could take that one step further and explain how that same reminder software can take a sale from a direct type in of the merchant url and make it an affiliate sale when it shouldn't be
    I'm willing to bet that this is a far bigger problem than the aff overwrite problem, dollar wise. Not to say it's a more important problem, but it's the problem that hurts those unsuspecting merchants the most and the quickest.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

If AGoodCause was only collecting a commission from links that they put up on their own sites, no one would be calling them a parasite. You build the sites, You put up the links and they just pop up in time for the commission theft. How is this different from all the other parasites documented here on ABW just because their software doesn't also bundle in trojans? Your system will be 'clean' in a scan because you voluntarily put it on your system. It is still parasitic in its nature. Ask AGoodCause where their shops are at for all those merchants they "work with".

Jody, I'd like to know where the "yes" button takes you. Does it open an app or does it take you to their website?

X

i c it overwrites the cookies thus making anyone who would download them on my site if they went to a store that we both shared a common ground their cookie would over run my cookie there fore i would not get the sale and they would. That smells.

Edit: Ed when you say yes it takes you back to ebay. Front page of ebay.Let me get specific because lately i have been very vague.
    I went to ebay to look for clothes for my daughter. I installed them about 2 weeks ago. When I visited ebay a pop up window stated that I can continue on with them and something like $3.00 would be donated to charity. Or continue w/out them. I clicked yes. It took me back to the homepage of ebay.

And it amazes me that they want me to promote it: A toolbar that effectively steals my hardwork for life for a dollar 50 per download. Do they think i'm stupid?

Edit: Ed when you say yes it takes you back to ebay. Front page of ebay.Let me get specific because lately i have been very vague.
    I went to ebay to look for clothes for my daughter. I installed them about 2 weeks ago. When I visited ebay a pop up window stated that I can continue on with them and something like $3.00 would be donated to charity. Or continue w/out them. I clicked yes. It took me back to the homepage of ebay.
    To me that says COOKIE STUFFING!

X

Three ways this "shafts" the Merchant
    One, if your a merchant with a high Affiliate ratio your affiliates are getting the shaft.

Two, If you have a low Affiliate ratio you (the merchant) is getting the shaft.

And it would be entirely possible for someone distributing this stuff to create a good looking site and sign up for programs in a way that would make it extremely difficult to discover unless you actually load every parasite program, put up a packet sniffer, and test it.

Which brings up number Three. I have to keep allocating budget for my guys to download and check every one of these we find on a regular basis in case an affiliate has "gone blackhat". That's money we could be spending on higher commissions, promotions, etc.

Generally, it stinks for everyone.

Scott

ABW Ambassador
    thanks for bringing these merchants with cookie stealing software/toolbars to our attention.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Cookie Stuffing is unethical. So for $.50 it is not worth it. Luckily I have yet to post links and such so I will just leave it be and I uninstalled them on my computer and ran my security just in case.

Question
    Cookie Stuffing is unethical. So for $.50 it is not worth it. Luckily I have yet to post links and such so I will just leave it be and I uninstalled them on my computer and ran my security just in case.
    So for $.50 it is not worth it.???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    So for $.50 it is not worth it.???
    It wouldn't be worth it for $100.00 lol@me. need to lay off the
    I ment to put a 1.50 there goes my being vague again.
    They pay out 1.50 or something it is not worth me promoting them my loss would be greater and so would yours. My customers just might be yours too the world is too small. Well goodnight yall!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast