A blogger is poaching my stories...
    I'm not quite sure how to handle something..

I launched a Joomla site as an extension of an existing content site & it's doing VERY well. It has brought lots of new readers, and I've been reporting pretty unique info that I know people are interested in.

A new Wordpress blog appeared a few weeks ago that copied text from 2 of my entries & lifted copyright photos. I sent them a nicely worded (but clear) note that said they were in violation of my site terms, and disabled right-click. I pointed the blogger to my "quote this" module to save a snippet of my story to their site.

Well, they obliged and everything seemed ok. But I'm noticing a pattern - they are copying images from another site (my competitor), and reporting where to find certain things that are unique to MY site. I don't like that their posts are nothing but trailing versions of mine.

Today was the last straw - one VERY unique item that I found after much research was profiled on THEIR site. This merchant's affiliate program is very exclusive - when you click their product photo, I'm 99% sure it sets my cookie (from their site).

Should I just IP block them..? Is this a common occurrence ..??

I don't mind a fan, or a blogger reporting on what they find on my site, but actually reporting the same as if it was original is really bothering me. And I've already been in touch once.. I spend hours daily, and to see MY idea appear the next day is getting to me. Even if it is properly credited (all except today)

Alternatively, do I need to get over it - I'm probly bigger, and they will continue to find other sources..

(added: the second last straw today was that I launched a new category last night, and now they have added a similar category)
    Last edited by teezone; October 31st, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

I would block their IP at the firewall. If you are able to determine the IP address that they use when accessing your site, and you have the ability to IP block, then go for it. To them it would simply appear that your site is offline...

X

Thanks Ed, yes I have identified their IP, and just blocked them at the firewall level.

I wasn't sure if I was over-reacting. I became concerned when I saw their link drops in blogs/newspapers ("thanks for the article", "wow, some things to think about there", over & over).

It's not an innocent fan mistake, they seem off to an aggressive start. My spidey sense might be on the money here...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Thanks Ed, yes I have identified their IP, and just blocked them at the firewall level.

I wasn't sure if I was over-reacting. I became concerned when I saw their link drops in blogs/newspapers ("thanks for the article", "wow, some things to think about there", over & over).

It's not an innocent fan mistake, they seem off to an aggressive start. My spidey sense might be on the money here...
    Contact their host directly and report their copyright violations.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Have you considered writing some really stupid content? That'll fix em!!

superCool would be tempted to fight fire with fire and target their exact keyword sweetspot.....but that would be childish

I just caught a second culprit .. it seems there are two people working on the same blog. One selects the items to copy, the other is the writer (obviously taking direction, I can see the chronology of visits). How rude.

Two visitors now IP blocked.. I hope they just think my site is down & move on...

That sucks tee zone, I think people have sued over stuff like that. Isn't copywrite infringment a felony?
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread