Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Chinese Domain Name Poaching - What to Make of it?
    I just received this email:
    Dear mydomainname:
    We are Shanghai Chooke Network Information Technology Co., Ltd, which is the domain name register center in China.I have something need to confirm with you.
    We have received an application formally,one company named "Xingyong(China) Investment Co.,Ltd" applies for the domain names(www dot mydomainname dot cn www dot mydomainname dot com dot cn etc.) ,and the Internet keyword(mydomainname) on the internet October 31, 2008. We need to know the opinion of your company because the domain names and keyword may relate to the copyright of brand name on internet.
    we would like to get the affirmation of your company,please contact us by telephone or email as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
    Jerk.liu
    Tel: +86-21-62416070
    Fax: +86-21-62597835
    email:jerk.liu at chooke dot com dot cn
    Shanghai Chooke Network Information Technology Co., Ltd
    Anyone see this before? Anyone ever respond to anything like this? My inclination is to delete and forget about it, but if anyone thinks it requires a response, I'd like to know.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Personally, I would not take a second look and send it right to the trash.

Although you could send a Dear Jerk letter...

X

Outsourced Program Manager Ronald Marva - SEOP's Avatar
    I did encounter a similar email saying "domain names and keyword may relate to the copyright of brand name on internet...blah...blah..blah.... But decided its not worth my time. Though it does make you wonder what is their agenda.

I would run to the local Chinese restaurant and ask them for a fortune cookie. Therein lies the answer.

-sfcom

I've seen the exact same thing. I figured they were just trying to sell these domains by lying about the interested party. Anyway, I just checked the domains and none have been registered even though this was back in August.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I've had the same. It's just an excuse to get you to pay an over-inflated price for something that's worthless. Don't reply to it and they will most probably let it expire (assuming that they registered it in the first place).
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I get these almost every day.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to see if there were any other opinions about this.

sfcom - I did stop for a fortune cookie, but the fortune was "send help, I'm a prisoner in a cookie factory!".
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

To respond to your two questions and your "inclination."

YES - NO - Good idea!

It is a scam, pure and simple, just a scam. They are wanting you to think that someone is interested in competing on your "mark" and they want to "offer" you first choice on a domain that is (in most cases) worthless. Worthless, that is, unless you actually plan to have a site presence in China. If that is the case you would (probably) already have registered the .cn version of your domain.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread