Soap Connection Failing
    Does anyone know anything about a recent change in web services?

I use the web service located at:
    http://lld2.linksynergy.com/services/soapLinks/?wsdl
    I call to the method: getMerchByName
    I do this to get a list of my merchants and dump them into my database for use on my site. The script updates my list with newly approved merchants, removes dropped merchants, etc.

The script was working fine for weeks. No changes have been made, however, I am now getting a soap connection error. The error is:

An error occurred in script 'path/filename.php' on line 40:
    SoapClient::__doRequest() [soapclient.--dorequest]: connect() failed: Connection timed out

Line 40, where the error occurs, is simply my call to the method:

$client->getMerchByName($params);

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I have been trying to get this working for the first time and I assumed I was coding something wrong. Very interested to what you find out. Any answer will no doubt come from someone other than Linkshare, that we can be sure of.

Oh, come on, no faith in LS tech support? ;-)
    I managed to get the script working (no thanks to LS, of course) in early September. It was working fine until a week ago or so. I made no changes to the script, I just started getting the error. I figured it was just a temporary thing -- that LS was working on something or something had gotten screwed up. So, I let it go. I wouldn't put it past LS to let the service be down for this long, but am to the point where I need to figure out what's going on and see if I need to come up with a new way of getting the data.

Are you using php and something like nusoap when you make the call to this method?

I don't believe it is nusoap. I think it's just PHP's soap support:

http://us.php.net/soap_soapclient_soapcall

This is the call part of my script:

$devKey = 'XXXXX';
    $keywords = '';
    $ini = ini_set("soap.wsdl_cache_enabled","0");
    $url = 'http://lld2.linksynergy.com/services/soapLinks/?wsdl';
    $client = new SoapClient($url, array('trace'=> true));
    $params = array(
    "token" => $devKey,
    "name" => ''
    );
    $result = $client->getMerchByName($params);

My biggest complaint with LS web service calls like these is that none of their docs/guides define the node names used in the return data.

I had to track down an old guide to find the methods. The one I got from my client didn't even contain those. Before I found the old guide, I contact LS about it and they said "all you need to know if in the guide". I figured the translation was, "We just work here. We have no idea."

As you can probably tell, I'm not well-versed in soap. I've been writing php for almost 10 years, but mostly use data that is entered manually or picked up from the site I build. I've only worked with soap and xml to pull data from outside sources on a few projects. I have found that the documentation is always wanting. I always end up printing the full array as soon as I can connect, just to get field (node?) names.

Looks like I got a different error.

Fatal error: Uncaught SoapFault exception: [HTTP] Could not connect to host in lsws.php:34 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: SoapClient->__doRequest('<?xml version="...', 'http://10.1.7.1...', '', 1, 0) #1 [internal function]: SoapClient->__call('getMerchByName', Array) #2 lsws.php(34): SoapClient->getMerchByName(Array) #3 {main} thrown in lsws.php on line 34

I took the REST URL for the same method and entered it on the web address bar and got a list of all approved merchants.

ht tp://lld2.linksynergy.com/services/restLinks/getMerchByAppStatus/<token>/<status>

Now if I could only figure out how to run that from a php script and capture the nodes.

I don't know if this will help you or not. It's an abbreviated version of the script I use to set php variables for the fields returned (well, once returned) by the soap method getMerchByName. This used to work. My full code includes breaking down the commission field (they send a lot of crap) and extracting the real numbers/types/ranges, etc.

$result = $client->getMerchByName($params);
    $result = $result->return;
    foreach ($result as $mer) {
    $ls_id = $mer->mid;
    $name = $mer->name;
    $cats = $mer->categories;
    $commTerms = $mer->offer->commissionTerms;
    $offerName = $mer->offer->offerName;
    }

have anybody figure it out? i am having thee same problem

My client finally got an email from tech support (many weeks after we started having the problem). Support said they were working on the issue. Clearly they are either lying or incompetent -- or it's their lowest priority. None of which are good things. Anyway, I haven't heard from my client in ages. I think she has sort of given up on the whole thing. As far as I know, an answer was never found.

I can get the "getMerchByName" to work, but the "getTextLinks" just returns an error. I suspect it has something to do with the parms.

you mean getMerchByName in REST or SOAP?

Soap

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Soap
    does it still work for you?

I am getting "Could not connect to host" even for the method that used to work:

$client = new SoapClient("http://lld2.linksynergy.com/services/soapLinks/?wsdl", array('trace'=> true));
    $results = $client->getMerchByAppStatus(array("token" => $ls_token,
    "status" => "approved"));

if it is still works for you, could you please post your code?

Thanks!

The getMerchByName stopped working a few days ago. Now nothing works.

Yup. I had the same issue the other day.

I sent a email to support and it seems the ticket was moved to a different tech support que where it now sits. Actually, it probably got moved to the delete que since noone at LS seems to know anything about web services.

My theory is that they hired someone to write the web service for them and then laid him off soon after. Now, noone knows how to support it.

I am just starting to work on integrating this API and am getting connection errors too.

Trying to do getMerchByName:

HTTP Error: Couldn't open socket connection to server http://10.131.2.110/services/soapLinks/, Error (110): Connection timed out

I wondering then: have it ever worked before (production wise)? I kinda googled and found the same kind of questions being asked 2 years ago with no answers... I mean if it is ever gonna work but you have to contact support to turn it on every time you want to access it?...

So, have anybody used LinkShare's webservices before and can they be relied on?

The getMerchByName function on the web service is now working. But, the getTextLinks is still failing. I assume I am using the correct parms, but who knows really since the api doc is lacking those sort of details.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread