Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Beware of HORRIBILE, VILE voting scam!!!
    I just heard a report on CNN about something I consider to be the vilest, worst sort of voter scam. Voters in Virginia have reported someone leaving printed flyers at their homes with very authentic looking pictures of the seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia telling them that an emergency session of the legislature has met and decided to handle heavy voter turnout by requiring Republicans to vote only on November 4 and Democrats to vote only on November 5.

Yeah, I know how bogus that sounds at face value. I know also how many fearful, innocent people out there fall for scams right and left.

Obviously both major political parties have denounced this. In addition the State Police of Virginia have started looking for the source of the nasty little brochure.

One only hopes nobody really falls for this -- but at least one woman called into CNN very fearful and concerned about the truth of it, since it really (from the faxed copy the showed on the TV screen anyway) did look authentic.

Maybe such baloney happens in every presidential election? I dunno. And I won't presume to tell you who you should vote for. It would be a violation of the forums TOS and I wouldn't do that.

But it enrages me if even ONE person fails to vote because they are taken advantage of by such vile fools as those who would do something like this!!!
    Generate more fake news.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    ... and decided to handle heavy voter turnout by requiring Republicans to vote only on November 4 and Democrats to vote only on November 5.

Yeah, I know how bogus that sounds at face value. I know also how many fearful, innocent people out there fall for scams right and left.
    It's easy to see is a scam, because they don't mention when do the Independents should vote.

So the Independents should vote on November 3 or November 6?

ABW Ambassador
    Forgive my bluntness, but if someone is stupid enough to fall for this kind of scam, then should they really be voting to help decide who is going to become the President of the United States of America? or any other office?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Forgive my bluntness, but if someone is stupid enough to fall for this kind of scam, then should they really be voting to help decide who is going to become the President of the United States of America? or any other office?
    Yup. It's one of the last unadulterated rights (that actually is a right) that any American has. Big, small, dumb, smart, lefty, righty... everyone.

And not enough of us do it.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    The lack of integrity in the whole process is disgusting.

When you hear stories of community activist groups paying people to register voters and they act surprised when cartoon characters and dead people show up newly registered.

Surely there is a better way. In such a hotly contested election we sure don't need fraud playing in a role.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    Wow that's horrible, hopefully nobody fell for it. Thanks for sharing it with us writerguy.
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

Is it Wednesday 11/5 yet?

PS. I couldn't have said it better Julian!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Gottlieb
    The lack of integrity in the whole process is disgusting.

When you hear stories of community activist groups paying people to register voters and they act surprised when cartoon characters and dead people show up newly registered.

Surely there is a better way. In such a hotly contested election we sure don't need fraud playing in a role.
    You realize there's a difference between voter registration fraud and voter fraud right? So it wouldn't play a role in the election because Mickey Mouse isn't going to actually show up and vote. And both sides are against this. Now voter suppression tactics can actually have an affect on the vote.

Back to original post. This type of thing happens all the time, pretty pathetic. I think the people running the campaigns have learned some things from the past and have done some things to keep people informed. Some people are going to fall for it every year, you figure they would learn by now. But I think it's getting better overall.

That just gave me an incredible idea. I'm gonna start putting out flyers in our community that Black Friday has actually been changed to Black Saturday this year. That way I can go out and get all of the good deals by myself without fighting the crowds. ;-)

-sfcom

Julian wrote: > "Forgive my bluntness, but if someone is stupid enough to fall for this kind of scam, then should they really be voting * * * ?" <

As Kevin replied, voting is a right that carries a very, very low competence threshhold. But this kind of trickery is intended to cheat people of the right to vote; I think it's possible that some people (new voters, especially) might fall for this and still be intelligent enough to vote wisely.

Election-week tricks are nothing new. Last-minute mailers (including negative attacks as well as "fake voting slate" postcards), robo-calls, doorknob-hangers, etc are widely used by unethical people to attempt to trick voters. Even if a sleazy trick fools only 1 in 100 (or 1 in 500) voters, it could make a difference in a close election. And the issue also serves to distract some other voters from the real issues -- time spent "correcting" these scams is time that could have been spent in positive ways (by candidates, journalists, and voters).

Don't automatically assume that this was a trick by an unethical Republican; it's possible that it's a trick by an unethical Democrat to try to fault Republicans. This week, when I first heard about Senator Elizabeth Dole's "Godless" ad (attacking her opponent with false allegations and a faked voice), I wondered if it was a dirty trick by someone trying to embarass or discredit Dole -- I didn't want to believe that Dole approved it.

I'm confident that in the next 80+ hours, there will be a wide array of offensive, deceptive tactics used to try to influence voters' choices on candidates and issues. Most of them will be technically legal, and most of the illegal tricks will probably never be investigated or prosecuted (and perhaps rightly so, since law enforcement has other priorities).

ABW Ambassador
    "I wondered if it was a dirty trick by someone trying to embarass or discredit Dole -- I didn't want to believe that Dole approved it."

But it was Dole. That was a pretty despicable ad but Hagan had a nice reply ad.

Actually watching it again, she approves not only at the end but the beginning too.

Does it really matter in the presidential race anyways? Our votes don't really count. Even if someone gets the popular vote they don't necessarily become president. The Electorial College decides.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I hate the Electoral College, don't even get me started. I would like to see a straight up popular vote. You know a government of the people by the people type of deal. Some other countries have this. When more people vote for 1 guy and that guy loses, that's a problem and it makes no sense. And did you know, legally the electors can vote any way they want, regardless of how the people vote. Why is that even legally possible. Somebody tell me one instance where that would be ok. Where the electors see that more people vote for candidate A but say, nah, let's pick B instead. The only thing I can come up with is distrust of people, stop gap, just in case. And it might have it's roots back in the old days where things in the country were a lot more wild.

The electoral college is one of the most brilliant mechanisms created by our forefathers to give EVERYONE a voice. Don't discount it's value. I suggest doing a little research to learn how it really works. And that's all I have to say about it...
    Last edited by Ed Byerly; November 1st, 2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Phrasing...

X

I certainly can understand that. However, stupidity isn't one of the legally acceptable reasons to keep someone from voting -- though it should be, perhaps, but then one person's "stoopid" might be another's voting choice.

Won't go anywhere on that one, I promise.
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    The whole process is rife for the shady, unfortunately. That is a dirty trick - and a waste of paper!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Many of these election scams do have an effect, and need to be investigated and prosecuted. The one in Virginia is outrageous, and the parties responsible should be prosecuted.

In SoCal, there was just an indictment stemming from similar activities in the 2006 elections. A candidate for Congress sent out 14,000 letters to voters in his district, that informed them that if you were an "immigrant" it was illegal to vote in a Federal election, and would result in imprisonment and deportation.

The former candidate faces a possible sentence of up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    The electoral college is one of the most brilliant mechanisms created by our forefathers to give EVERYONE a voice (vote). Don't discount it's value. I suggest doing a little research to learn how it really works. And that's all I have to say about it...
    I know how it works, what I posted is true. Tell me why it's even legally possible for the electors to vote how they want. Give me an instance where you feel that would be ok. And tell me why you don't think the popular vote is the way to go. That's a straight up people vote. What's wrong with that?

And there is actually a lot of support for it - http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    The electoral college is one of the most brilliant mechanisms created by our forefathers to give EVERYONE a voice (vote). Don't discount it's value. I suggest doing a little research to learn how it really works. And that's all I have to say about it...
    I do know how it works. It may have been useful back in the day when it was created but it no longer is what the forefathers meant it to be.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Yeah, the general population can READ now. If I remember history class, that was a major reason for the Electoral College - because the voting public wasn't very literate.

The electoral college was a product of its times: 1787.

At that time, the idea of a "democracy" was untried, untested, and held highly suspect by many, especially by states' righters, fearful of a strong Federal government.

The electoral college, as I recall, was a compromise, both giving the popular vote to the untrusted "people", but while still preserving the "actual" vote to politicians, the electors, who had the power to vote differently than how had their states' voters. And, probably most importantly, states righters', so fearful of that central government, retained to an extent, the power of the largest states, with the most electoral votes.

Whether any of this has any place in today's society, is really questionable, but talk of a constitutional amendment to change the election to a popular vote has never gone any further than talk, and frankly, if the idea did not develop a following after the 2000 election, I doubt it ever will.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    We have to remember back in the day, women couldn't vote, there was slavery etc. Times have changed. Just don't need it anymore.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yea writerguy, but did you know that the Republican voters will be submitting their ballots into the Vote Counting Machine Shown Here ?

Seriously, I agree with you. It is a crime to deprive or trick anyone out of their right to vote.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Isn't this supposed to be a political free forum?

Isn't this supposed to be a political free forum?
    My understanding is that there can be no partisan political material, but that newsworthy political matters can be discussed, and non-partisan discussions of such matters as attempts to sabotage the election process and of the validity in today's society of the electoral college, would be permissible.

.... but I've been wrong before

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast