Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I know alot of affiliates are promoting Adsense, here is an interesting read:

http://www.traffick.com/article.asp?aID=151

It all boils down to advertiser ROI. What do you think?

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Interesting article, Linda. Thanks for putting up the link. I have been very surprised at the quality of some sites running AdSense. Shocked, actually. I've also been surprised at how some sites display the ads. It's inevitable that some clearing out will have to be done, it'll be interesting to see how long it is before the "Google dumped me from AdSense" postings start to appear.

Andy

let's hope fraud is controlled and doesn't drive this away. incidentally, I think the recent downturn in $/click is a shift on the part of the advertisers toward spending elsewhere for the coming holiday season, like to print and other ads.

some advertisers are extremely season-sensitive, too. my google/adsense ads attract some bed&breakfasts who are apparently spending good amounts per click. I really hope their ROI proves out.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Many of the small fry should never have been approved in the first place. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This article is repeating a mistake that the affiliate industry made with EPC. That is: they are equating size with quality. The smallest sites generally have a decent quality traffic. It is the sites with the anything goes marketer mantality that cause the problems. These sites tend to be medium size or larger.

I think the best formula for any program is an auto approve followed by a serious auditing procedure for any medium to large site. A site with less than 100 clicks a month is probably not doing anything wrong.

In the end, continuous auditing is the key to success in PPC. I am in the ?????? affiliate program. Every month, about 5% of the clicks I send get reversed. I suspect that they have an aggressive auditing program that strips clicks from questionable sources. Looking at all of the robots, etc., that roam the net, I am really not surprised that 5% of my click traffic is robots running amok or other low quality traffic. I often have people download my sites with Front Page. When that happens I get a lot of bogus clicks.

(Ooops if the Big G reads this, I am talking about the whole theory of PPC...and not any particular problem.)

sound thinking

ABW Ambassador
    I think google monitors their program very closely. I have exchanged emails with their support numerous times and they have been 100% on the ball.

Also the only ad network ever to ask me (on one site) to remove the banners, but then said - don't worry you will still get paid for what you are owed, just nothing more will be shown after this date. Every other ad network just keeps the money and waits a few months to tell you they are keeping the money.

Chet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Google for sure is going to do everthing in their power to not let affiliates undermine their loyal search customers trust in their listings. They also are dodging trademark violations and deceptive advertising law suits now their listings and Adwords penetrate every corner of the internet including some powerful boardrooms.

The COUPON and REWARD crowd of Google spammers are about to get all of us in trouble as certain manufacturers seek out how their BRAND products get INCENT advertising via Google Adword and listings. This is a blatent legal violation of their marketing agreements with their authorized distributors and retailers.

Those AM's allowing and even providing coupons/rewards/points or special discounts to affiliates,that end up using them for advertising, enticing, or deceiving consumers, are in for some legal hurt if the manufacturer objects. Adsense Ads are alerting many major brand firms that their reseller terms and conditions are being violated by Google, Overture and the others.

When those legal papers hit the major SE's and PPCSE's it might be simplier to just purge all Adword advertisers using the incent terms in conjunction with trademarks and Brands. Simple search and destroy function when Google is preparing a 15 Billion Dollar IPO.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

“A couple of things in Google's favor. I've heard that they are cutting off smaller AdSense accounts right and left, in some cases for violating certain stipulations about how one is allowed to discuss the ad program on the site. Good. Now they should quicken the pace of those shutdowns, and while they're at it, slow the pace of approvals. Many of the small fry should never have been approved in the first place. It's really tough to imagine what Google was thinking here.”

The above statement concerns me, why is it only the big guys should gain from advertising? The new sites are normally a small, as the new sites grow they can provide targeted traffic.

As usual some chump is trying to exclude small and new sites. Everyone deserves an opportunity to make a living.

The big sites scare me, they have more popups than popcorn popping to include swipe buys and rollovers, and then they have google. Those are the sites that should be a serious concern for google.

That article mentioned Weatherchannel.com “my ass they’re advertising is the damn worst. They have those java things that half the time do not close. Not only have I reverted back to watching the weather channel on TV but you could not get me to go back to there site because of the CRAP advertising they have. The only thing they advertise there anyway is flonaise. Ha ha ha

I think the lower click thru rates are a function of a glut in publisher ad space. There are not enough advertisers to place ads on all available space.

The simple solution is to have Google devide adsense ads from search engine ads for advertisers. This way advertisers can choose to participate in both programs with different bids. If an advertiser feels content sites provide less ROI, they can just bid a lot less for the keywords. Everbody is happy!

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Question, how much are some of you folks making with Adsense?

In reviewing our stats on Google we only see a .01-.05 click thru on out top keywords. We are considering dropping the option.

What are your thoughts?

Henry
    Affiliate Manager
    <font face=verdana size=1 >Migizzi Inc d/b/a</font> Pets-Warehouse.com

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>10%/90 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    </font>
    Henry@Pets-Warehouse.com<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>
    >< )))º> 631.789.5400 / Pets-Warehouse.com
    </font>

ABW Ambassador
    OMG followed the link and am stunned... kinda goes along with the nuisance lawsuit reputation the country has

ABW Ambassador
    Just a note to pets warehouse.. the image on the front page links to your computer!

file:///C|/fish/oceanic/15160-maple-bowfront-combo.jpg

(added)
    the About Us link also links to your computer
    file:///C|/About.htm

ABW Ambassador
    I think Google timed this perfectly for their IPO. Adsense will still be looked at as a good and profitable thing when they go public. But this time next year, i will bet affiliates will feel very different about Adsense. Some problems include people getting used to these types of ads and clickthrus going down, advertisers concerned with ROI pulling their ads from being shown on content sites, the ability for the new owners to decide what % they're going to take and you can't do anything about it since no one has a clue of who gets what %. Also read about groups of webmasters getting little clubs together and going around and clicking each others ads, hopefully Google was aware this would happen and has some way of monitoring this. I wasn't doing this a few years ago but didn't CPC fail before, especially on content sites? But now since it's contextual it should work?

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Funny thing is my post vanished so Samy's comment makes not sense.

Anyway, the main part of my post was to say to Henry (or is it Bob?) that discussing your AdSense earnings will get you booted from their program.. so it's a bit dangerous to get people to talk specifics.

As you know, things said in forums often lead to unpleasant consquences, lawsuits and countersuits.

I didn't catch your last name Henry.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Conrad,

You should concern yourself with your own liability your disparaging remarks will no longer be tolerated.

As identified by your local paper as a cyber squatter.

It is obvious that we don’t like each other, why don’t you just keep your crap to PM’s between us.

What was stated relating to Google was a broad generality, not in any way specific.

Henry
    Affiliate Manager

</font>
    </font>

Thanks SamyT

Fixed.

Henry
    Affiliate Manager

</font>
    </font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Question, how much are some of you folks making with Adsense?

In reviewing our stats on Google we only see a .01-.05 click thru on out top keywords. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any AdSense publisher replying to that would violate the AdSense TOS. Especially in the light of what the article says about Google booting publishers for violating the TOS.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Witness:
    The simple solution is to have Google devide adsense ads from search engine ads for advertisers. This way advertisers can choose to participate in both programs with different bids. If an advertiser feels content sites provide less ROI, they can just bid a lot less for the keywords. Everbody is happy!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the classification of traffic. Simply switching to a Search v. Advertising categories is that the advertising category will be ruled by the lowest common denominator...that is the incented and fake click traffic. Google is doing a great thing right now. 90% of the sites running the ads are good netizens, but there also needs to be a progressive stance against the bad adverstisers.

The problem is the resources needed for site classification. I would start however, with the observation that small fries generally are honest. They are not the ones causing problems. Problem sites, by definition, have lots and lots of hits...because they are incenting or faking traffic.

As for the value of clicks. This really isn't a function of how many web pages there are. It is a complex equation based on the amount of time web surfers have and the speed of their internet connection. It is not determined by the number of web pages in existence. Joe Web Surfer might see 1000 pages a week and spend an average of $100 a week on different ads, etc.. Joe Surfer's clicks and webscretionary money (I just coined a term, do I get a reward?) will be distributed randomly amoung the web pages.

Does that make sense. Webscretionary income (the amount of discretionary income people have to spend on the web) is not determined by the number of pages. The number of clicks per purchase is determined by the time the user has...hence the value of a real live click from a real live human should eventually stabilize.

The large number of web pages is making it harder and harder for internet shops to be heard. This might even increase the amount paid per click.

Of course, if the number of existant pages continues to outpace the ability of Joe Surfer to click, the proportion of real live human views per web page will probably taper off with time.

sound thinking

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread