Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In checking the serps for some competitive phrases today, I came across some pretty obvious affiliate spamming.

This genius has created dozens of identical sites using doorway pages, effecitvely cluttering search results with crap.

Do a search on google for "frog tongue rings" (http://www.google.com/search?q=frog+...8&start=0&sa=N) and take a look at the top 15 results or so.

Now THAT is the kind of affilaite we don't need.

Erik

P.S. While you're at it, feel free to submit a spam report at http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html

ABW Ambassador
    Looks like the hydrocodone, didrex and bontril Pill Pushers are transitioning to frog tongue rings.

Affiliate Manager
    I started noticing this yesterday myself...looks like this could be a problem once people start learning how to do this. I am seeing alot of sites with "keyword1-keyord2.html" at the end of their domains getting the top rankings but yet when you go to the site their pages have nothing to do with the product.

I agree, we can definately can do without this...

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eVitamins Chet:
    I agree, we can definately can do without this...

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

_Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chet, it will take affiliate managers to start working overtime and get those affiliates in-line.

The example given is not the only one out there. There appears hundreds of thousands of these sites, giving the entire affiliate marketing system a bad name.

Datafeeds are being used in the same manner.

I applaud the affiliate that is able to get a #1 position. I applore the same one that spams with multiple sites.

Allen

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I 'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this practice stinks! How do you stop this? I imagine Affiliate Managers could if they hired 1 full time staff member devoted to this Like that's feasible I am sure these spammers join the programs using one legit URL and then use that id for all their spam sites.

ABW Ambassador
    It is despicable. The people perpetrating this should have their affiliate account terminated fast.

Unfortunatly there are several ABW members with these kinds of sites. Maybe we need to organize an affililate code of practices that covers everyone.

Good business practices works on both sides of the affilite arena.

Allen

ABW Ambassador
    I don't get it. His/her top listing doesn't even show tongue rings. It shows temporary tattoos. There are a gazillion links at the bottom but why even have a page for frog tongue rings if they don't even show them and don't show a link to them where it's visible? Most people won't scroll all the way down to see them.

Seems like it would be a better use of time and be more financially rewarding to actually build a page for tongue rings. I'm sure I'm missing something, wouldn't be the first time.

Kip

PS Just curious - are frog tongue rings, tongue rings with little frogs on them or ....? The person's nonsensical ramblings didn't really enlighten me on the subject.

Do people actually search for frog tongue rings?

Remember:
    SPAM = Sites Placed Above Mine

ABW Ambassador
    Well it seems its all SHECOOLHECOOL, so don't expect their AM to do anything about it. This is what AM's want their affiliates to do, get top listings for keywords. I'm wondering if the affiliate had AllPiercings links up if you would feel the same way? Would you still want us to fill out a SPAM report?

Animal Lover
    Had the same experience - except my page was up there in page 1 for the same keyword and I had a customer email me thanking me for a relevant page on the topic that she searched for (keyword) as she had sifted through about 10 or so which came up with the keyword search and had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic searched for...

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Witness:
    Do people actually search for frog tongue rings?

Remember:
    SPAM = Sites Placed Above Mine<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Overture returns zero searches per month for this term.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking transactions that have been created by the hard work of others.</font>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm wondering if the affiliate had AllPiercings links up if you would feel the same way? Would you still want us to fill out a SPAM report?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've known Erik for some time now Trust, and I'm sure the affiliate would be terminated in less than 30 seconds.

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

ABW Ambassador
    It is kinda spammy looking but he is complaining about an affiliate for his competition. SHECOOLHECOOL have spots 1,2,3 AllPiercings #4 so it would benefit AllPiercings for 1,2,3 to disappear. I would get my own affiliates to optimize and knock the competition down a few. I can't see a merchant filing a SPAM report or deactivating their own affiliate for getting good SE position for them, sending them traffic/possible sales. Thats what merchants want affiliates to do for them, even tho they might not like the techniques. Google is the most friendly SE for SPAM sites, affiliate sites, feed sites and if Google doesn't have a problem with it and their algo puts them at the top, then the merchant shouldn't have a problem with it. It does look spammy to me, but with sound optimization, you should be able to knock them off the first page.

I HATE people that do this! Makes the SERPs totally irrelevant! Eventually, this type of activity will make it more difficult for ANY affiliate to get good SE listings.

Once Google starts getting complaints about the poor results, they will address this issue. I'm so sick of doing searches for things, only to find a gazillion pages listed - none of which have any info about the item, much less sell it. I don't see how any money is made doing this, but I can see where it might prevent someone selling the item from being found.

Bad deal for all affiliates...

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Well it seems its all SHECOOLHECOOL, so don't expect their AM to do anything about it. This is what AM's want their affiliates to do, get top listings for keywords. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allowing an affilaite to use techniques that are clearly in violation of google's (or any other's) TOS not only puts my program jeopardy, but degrades the perceived value of my brand.

This is not a case of a concern of a couple of better SERP listings (do a search for lip rings, nose rings, nipple rings, etc. and you'll see I have no problem when it comes to SEO). This is a case of abuse, plain and simple.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I can't see a merchant filing a SPAM report or deactivating their own affiliate for getting good SE position for them, sending them traffic/possible sales. Thats what merchants want affiliates to do for them, even tho they might not like the techniques. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong again. Especially considering the fact that we use an in-house system, and all links point to our site, not the network. As fas as I'm concerned, there are a number of legitimate affiliates that build legtimate (i.e. non-doorway, cloaked, etc.) sites promting our products using accepted SEO techniques. If the only method you know of affiliate marketing is pumoping out thousands of unrelated, and duplicate pages/sites to spam the search engines, we don't want you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> if Google doesn't have a problem with it and their algo puts them at the top, then the merchant shouldn't have a problem with it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be kidding. Quite often, cloaked sites "slip through" google's filters as well. The fact that they have (temporarily) evaded google's spam detection doesn't mean google has no problem with them, it simply means that another less-than-ethical person has found a temporary weakness to exploit.

If you want to out SEO me using techniques that are within current guidelines, than by all means, do so. That, after all, is a level playing field.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm wondering if the affiliate had AllPiercings links up if you would feel the same way? Would you still want us to fill out a SPAM report? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. But thanks for questioning my integrity

Erik

P.S. FOR THE RECORD: If any ABW member comes across one of our affiliates using these kinds of abusive techniques, please call it to my attention immediately, and they'll be gone quciker than you can say "Where's my site?"

ABW Ambassador
    "It does look spammy to me, but with sound optimization, you should be able to knock them off the first page."

I noticed you quoted me on everything but that and that you should get your own affiliates to optimize and knock your competition down a few. You should never let a SPAM site out SEO you. They're very easy to beat. And no i can't see you starting a thread like this asking people to fill out a SPAM report on your own affiliate. Yes, i agree those sites should be removed so you can rightfully get the #1 spot.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on November 15, 2003 at 10:48 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    "In checking the serps for some competitive phrases today, I came across some pretty obvious affiliate spamming.
    This genius has created dozens of identical sites using doorway pages, effecitvely cluttering search results with crap."

Just noticed you had a feed for affiliates. So i guess that would be ok. Kinda fits what you said, dozens of identical sites. When a user looks for frog tongue rings, they aren't looking for a bunch of affiliate sites using the same feed (could be yours) they're looking for an actual merchant. Explain to me how thats not "cluttering search results with crap"? Let's say you had hundreds of your affiliates using your feed and occupied the top listings for "frog tongue rings" What would you do? Kinda hypocritical to me for a merchant that offers feeds to affiliates to complain about their competition's affiliates spamming the search engines when SE feel the following hurts the integrity.

Pages that harm accuracy, diversity or relevance of search results.

Pages dedicated to directing the user to another page.

Pages in great quantity, automatically generated or of little value.

Pages built primarily for the search engines.

Do you really feel this helps with the integrity of search?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Datafeeds again are begged for by the SE spammers like a crack habit drug fix. Then the AM's out to bury their competition with BHO's and SE spamming affiliates have the nerve to complain. Did someone forget to ask the shopper, seeking info and a variety of sources at Google, what he feels about all these spam listings. I'm sure Google listens and will run the listing carpetbaggers out on a rail.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Kinda hypocritical to me for a merchant that offers feeds to affiliates to complain about their competition's affiliates spamming the search engines when SE feel the following hurts the integrity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hypocritical? You're suggesting that any merchant that offers a datafeed also condones spamming (which I do not think are mutually exclusive) and/or the only way that affilaites can possibly utilize a datafeed are in the manner/method presented above (which, by the way, are not even focused on a the particular product being searched for, but are simply a "shotgun" approach to getting any and all realted searches through their referral link.) There are plenty of ways to utilize a feed reponsibly. I do so myself with several other programs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And no i can't see you starting a thread like this asking people to fill out a SPAM report on your own affiliate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're absolutely right. That affiliate would be out of my program. feel free to contact me with any pages/sites you feel are utilizing the techniques demonstrated above, and I'll remove them from our program forthwith.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Then the AM's out to bury their competition with BHO's and SE spamming affiliates have the nerve to complain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm...I know you're not referring to me, right Mike? As an Indie, we do not allow ANY parasites in our system.

Further, to date, all of our affilaite have used our tools/feed to integrate our products (wisely) into theme-based sites (i.e. a site with a dolphin theme is carrying our dolphin-based products).

Having said all that, I can see this thread degenerating into an argument, and such was not my intent. Quite frankly, I'm sure the pages/sites in question will be gone eventually (as all SE Spam eventually is) and with our sales increasing 200%+ month over month for the last 4 months, I really don't think those low-quality pages are eating into our bottom line all that much

Perhaps if I had started this thread in another topic area, it would have been taken at face value, as opposed to the insinuation that I somehow was experienceing "sour grapes" over spam pages out-ranking ours, which again, is NOT the case.

Erik

ABW Ambassador
    Ecomcity, this has nothing to do with datafeeds. Nothing.

So please put the misinformed soapbox away.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Jumps on the soapbox
    People abusing data feeds
    Isn't having a datafeed and using it to spam and flood the search engines similar to people who have dogs they train or abuse to be viscious and not safe to have around. It isn't the datafeed/animal to blame, but the people who manipulate them that are the real problem.
    How do possibly police everyone?
    Gets off soapbox

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >she had sifted through about 10 or so which
    >came up with the keyword search and had
    >nothing whatsoever to do with the topic
    >searched for

Sounds like an SE tech problem to me. Fix that, and the problem will go away.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    edited, did not want to get into a big pissing match with another on this board but one of the members who is against spam has a website that sure looks like spam to me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    "In checking the serps for some competitive phrases today, I came across some pretty obvious affiliate spamming.
    This genius has created dozens of identical sites using doorway pages, effecitvely cluttering search results with crap."

Just noticed you had a feed for affiliates. So i guess that would be ok. Kinda fits what you said, dozens of identical sites. When a user looks for frog tongue rings, they aren't looking for a bunch of affiliate sites using the same feed (could be yours) they're looking for an actual merchant. Explain to me how thats not "cluttering search results with crap"? Let's say you had hundreds of your affiliates using your feed and occupied the top listings for "frog tongue rings" What would you do? Kinda hypocritical to me for a merchant that offers feeds to affiliates to complain about their competition's affiliates spamming the search engines when SE feel the following hurts the integrity.

Pages that harm accuracy, diversity or relevance of search results.

Pages dedicated to directing the user to another page.

Pages in great quantity, automatically generated or of little value.

Pages built primarily for the search engines.

Do you really feel this helps with the integrity of search?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Wrong. When a user is looking for frog tongue rings, they are looking for frog tongue rings, not heshecool or allpiercings. This has nothings to do with datafeeds, if they were datafeeds then there would be frog tongue rings on that page. This is spam because none of the pages actually have frog tongue rings. Wake up people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast